Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Re: The dawn of Yorman Rodriguez?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He also has 3 walks and 17 strikeouts in 58 trips to the plate. When he makes contact, he is making it count (.297 IsoP).
    Doesn't that put his BABIP in June somewhere around .500?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Doesn't that put his BABIP in June somewhere around .500?
    .457 on the month. But we are also talking about 35 at bats, so BABIP is pretty useless on that small of a scale.

His BABIP in June is .457.

He's one of my two breakout candidates of the year. He's making progress but needs to cut the K's.

Okay, so what's the consensus -- is the dawn arriving? I'm having a hard time reading the tea leaves in this thread.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Okay, so what's the consensus -- is the dawn arriving? I'm having a hard time reading the tea leaves in this thread.
    While Yorman continues to be an interesting prospect, I believe the Reds should not count on him being a big bat in the future. There just aren't many guys who are big offensive threats who strike out as much as he does while not taking many walks. It's hard to believe that Yorman is still only 20 years old, but his career has been stuck in neutral since he had the good, BABIP aided Billings season in 2010.

Sure, it's nice that Yorman has added some pop this year, and I do think that he should continue to be an everyday starter in Bakersfield, but I don't count him as a Top 10 prospect with that K:BB ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Oh it is the dawning of the age of Rodriguez.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E

Last year in 90 AB's at Bakersfield, he had 39 K's: K's as a function of AB's=.403
    This year in 240 AB's at Bakersfield, he has 73 K's: K's as a function of AB's=.300
    Last year: 39K's to 3 W's, or 13:1. This year: 73 to 20 or 3.65: 1.
    I consider that solid progress, especially for a player who is still quite young for the level. He needs to do more and whether he can is still the question, but he seems to be trending well IMO.

I'm at least interested in the fact that his tools could make it to MLB on the coat tails of his splits vs LHP.

Last year in 90 AB's at Bakersfield, he had 39 K's: K's as a function of AB's=.403
    This year in 240 AB's at Bakersfield, he has 73 K's: K's as a function of AB's=.300
    Last year: 39K's to 3 W's, or 13:1. This year: 73 to 20 or 3.65: 1.
    I consider that solid progress, especially for a player who is still quite young for the level. He needs to do more and whether he can is still the question, but he seems to be trending well IMO.
    Good numbers here. Also a good sign that he is rebounding strongly from a poor start in Bakersfield. His resurgence has accompanied a move to the top of the order, hitting first or second.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Good numbers here. Also a good sign that he is rebounding strongly from a poor start in Bakersfield. His resurgence has accompanied a move to the top of the order, hitting first or second.
    I disagree that those are good numbers to site when saying that Yorman has progressed at the plate. While he was truly terrible in Bakersfield last year, that was only 94 PAs. In the much larger sample size of last year, when he played in Dayton, Yorman only struck out 22.1% of the time in 276 PAs.

This year, Yorman has struck out 27.7% of the time in 264 PAs in Bakerfield. This is his highest K rate for a level in which he has spent 200+ PAs (a reasonable sample size) for his entire career.

For comparison, when Yorman's stock was at an all-time high after the 2010 season, he only struck out 16.3% of the time in 184 PAs in Billings. Many thought he had made significant strides from the 31.6% K rate he had the first half of the year in Arizona.

As more time goes on, it appears less likely that Yorman is going to figure it out with the strikeouts. While the BB rate of 7.6% is more encouraging than the 4.3% he posted in Dayton last year, he still strikes out way too much for the amount he is walking.

I know Yorman has the tools and I know he is young, and he does deserve more time to prove himself, but using 94 terrible PAs in last year as a comparison period is misleading.

Especially after his performance this spring, I have the strong belief that Y Rod will perform well with a bump up to a higher level of competition. Just strikes me as a Hanley Ramirez type who gets to the bigs and his 3's get so much better than they were in the minors.

Even though the belief is strong, I acknowledge that the belief may be wrong and I have no stat I can cite to back it up.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Especially after his performance this spring, I have the strong belief that Y Rod will perform well with a bump up to a higher level of competition. Just strikes me as a Hanley Ramirez type who gets to the bigs and his 3's get so much better than they were in the minors.

Even though the belief is strong, I acknowledge that the belief may be wrong and I have no stat I can cite to back it up.
    Huge difference with Hanley Ramirez and Yorman Rodriguez. Hanley simply didn't have the home run power in the minors. Hanley had a solid walk rate and a good strikeout rate. He just needed to develop power.

Yorman Rodriguez swings and misses in bunches and his walk rate is solid. His strikeout rate isn't so bad that it looks impossible to improve upon to the point where it is acceptable. But it certainly needs to improve.

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm at least interested in the fact that his tools could make it to MLB on the coat tails of his splits vs LHP.

Yorman has been on the floor for so long that the floor is now his new ceiling.

I take issue with Edd Roush's comment that comparing Yorman's k numbers last year at Bakersfield to his numbers this year is misleading. What better control is available than what he did at the same level from year to year--if what one is trying to assess is his progress?

Turn Off Ads?