Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 83 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

I can't stand Soriano. No way would I be happy about him sullying a Reds uniform.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Likes:

coachpipe (07-22-2013),RichRed (07-19-2013),Tom Servo (07-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

They don't think as highly of Winker as we seem to.
    I'm still excited about Winker. The organization could use some more high BA/high OBP guys. I'm willing to sacrifice a little power for that.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Any thoughts on going after DeShields Jr.?

I know it doesn't help for this year or next, but given the family connection and Altuve's extension it might be a good time to pounce...
    Go BLUE!!!

One scout's take on Deshields

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=21249
    "He is not going to stick at second base, and his makeup is awful. Outfielder profile and probably a left fielder at that. He has a quick bat, but I see more of a Rajai Davis type of player. He'll make it to the majors and stick for a while because of his name, but he won't be a regular."

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Any thoughts on going after DeShields Jr.?

I know it doesn't help for this year or next, but given the family connection and Altuve's extension it might be a good time to pounce...
    I'm more interested in using the few chips we have to help the big league roster. IF he could be flipped for a bat or gotten for much lesser propsects, then OK.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-19-2013)

Well, I heard an update on Ludwick on the radio this morning.

Ludwick himself said on the radio that he feels great, ready to go, it's just a matter of getting the rehab time in.

Now the Reds may be more cautious, but it looks like Ludwick is still on track to come back Mid-August at least.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, I heard an update on Ludwick on the radio this morning.

Ludwick himself said on the radio that he feels great, ready to go, it's just a matter of getting the rehab time in.

Now the Reds may be more cautious, but it looks like Ludwick is still on track to come back Mid-August at least.
    What are the chances he's even 80%? I gotta assume he's weak as a cat fart right now. That type of injury rules out all upper body lifting. His pop will be seriously down if he indeed does come back.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    What are the chances he's even 80%? I gotta assume he's weak as a cat fart right now. That type of injury rules out all upper body lifting. His pop will be seriously down if he indeed does come back.
    Not necessarily. He couldn't torque swings until July 1. He was doing rehab long before that. Several of the beat writers were implying early August yesterday.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

ha - "weak as a cat fart"

13. Likes:

TSJ55 (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Not necessarily. He couldn't torque swings until July 1. He was doing rehab long before that. Several of the beat writers were implying early August yesterday.

*fingers crossed*
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm more interested in using the few chips we have to help the big league roster. IF he could be flipped for a bat or gotten for much lesser propsects, then OK.
    Fair points. I guess with the news that Ludwick is almost ready, I just have a hard time seeing how/where we make real improvements to the big league roster unless it's a guy like Rios or De Aza. Rios looks a lot less likely given the Ludwick news, and probably the same could be said for de Aza given that he hits lefty and plays mediocre D in CF- we already have that player, his name is Shin Soo-Choo (only he gets on base a lot more than de Aza does).

I don't see the Reds upgrading SS during the year, and I don't know of a good platoon righty bat for CF that is currently out there. That leaves only the bullpen for real improvements, and I wouldn't trade a top 10 prospect for a bullpen rental.

So I'd think we could still be open-minded about prospect for prospect deals.
    Go BLUE!!!

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2013)

Fair points. I guess with the news that Ludwick is almost ready, I just have a hard time seeing how/where we make real improvements to the big league roster unless it's a guy like Rios or De Aza. Rios looks a lot less likely given the Ludwick news, and probably the same could be said for de Aza given that he hits lefty and plays mediocre D in CF- we already have that player, his name is Shin Soo-Choo (only he gets on base a lot more than de Aza does).

I don't see the Reds upgrading SS during the year, and I don't know of a good platoon righty bat for CF that is currently out there. That leaves only the bullpen for real improvements, and I wouldn't trade a top 10 prospect for a bullpen rental.

So I'd think we could still be open-minded about prospect for prospect deals.
    One other thought would be to see if the Cubs would take a guy like Cisco or Romano (or preferably Pedro Diaz) for James Russell. More likely, they'd ask for Guillon, Garrett, or Contreras. In that event, I'd look elsewhere.

I'd also see if they'd take a chance on a guy like Gelalich, Duran or Waldrop straight up, but it looks like their OF is a position of organizational strength with Bryant, Soler and Almora.
    Go BLUE!!!

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2013)

Well, I think he's an improvement over Heisey/Paul even at 80%.
    You're right, his power will probably be down.
    However, if he can work his swing back into shape by the postseason, and we hold on to a playoff slot, he might be a big help.
    At least he's a solid hitter with a good eye at the plate, even if he doesn't hit for power (at least compared to the alternatives on the roster).

20. Likes:

TSJ55 (07-19-2013)

This might be a little off the trade topic but I heard one radio guy about 2 months ago suggest that he would not be surprised to see this make Luddy a better all around player....he went on to explain that he's seen this type of injury from other players in the past and it zapped their power so they focused more on hitting the ball as opposed to trying to hit the long ball.....it almost forces a batter to hit more backside shots and make contact versus swinging out of your shoes....RL has always been able to hit backside but its never been his strength, maybe this will help him rely more on his average and not his slugging%....I don't know if I 100% agree or not but it sure makes sense and Ryan is a smart enough ball player that we won't see him trying to do something that his body is not ready for, especially in the heat of a playoff race....Ryan will do what helps this team win and working on contact might just be what is best.

Buster Olney says Asdrubal Cabrera might be on the block.. here's a related link.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index..._by_asdru.html

Tribe would probably want bullpen help, which the Reds might be able to spare if they think Broxton and Marshal are coming back. Or maybe the Indians want prospects.

Not sure if it's a good target for the Reds though, adds payroll, and perhaps he's on the decline.. Just throwing out a player that might be available. I believe the Indians have a good SS prospect and other SS options, so they probably wouldn't want Cozart back in the deal..

Turn Off Ads?