Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Morse: Trade Target?

Michael Morse: Trade Target?

Didn't know if there was a thread to discuss possible trade scenarios, so...

Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports the Nationals have "been reluctant" to offer Adam LaRoche more than a two-year deal.
    LaRoche declined his half of a mutual option this offseason and isn't expected to sign the Nationals' one-year, $13.3 million qualifying offer. The two sides will continue to discuss a new contract, but LaRoche is likely to test free agency and will be highly sought-after on the open market. Rosenthal suggests that Michael Morse could be shopped as a way of creating payroll.

He'd look awfully nice in LF for the Reds, but the question is what would a team ripe with depth like the Nats want from us.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Michael Morse: Trade Target?

Not too sure if they would want pitching, even though you could never have enough. The Nationals are almost set for years at ever position. Maybe they would want to upgrade Desmond or Espinosa, but that's their only "hole" (assuming they sign Bourne or Upton to play center.)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Bullpen or whatever?

Lotzkar, Ondrusek, Bray?

-The Insider-

Lotzkar is a year away and may be a longman or fifth starter. The Reds really don't have a great bullpen arm that would help get Morse. Their best reliever in the system now is probably Chris Manno, or Tony Cingrani if he goes that route.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Lotzkar is a year away and may be a longman or fifth starter. The Reds really don't have a great bullpen arm that would help get Morse. Their best reliever in the system now is probably Chris Manno, or Tony Cingrani if he goes that route.
    Is Morse that valuable though? He had a great year last year. This year he was kinda good, 18 HR but a middling OBP. Has only been over a 1 win player once in his career. Profiles best case scenario as a bad left fielder out in the field.

I would like him, but I would think a major league BP arm, a wild card arm, and a prospect is at least in the ballpark.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Is Morse that valuable though? He had a great year last year. This year he was kinda good, 18 HR but a middling OBP. Has only been over a 1 win player once in his career. Profiles best case scenario as a bad left fielder out in the field.

I would like him, but I would think a major league BP arm, a wild card arm, and a prospect is at least in the ballpark.
    He missed a good bit of time last season, started slow and then got back on track. I don't know his exact value, but they aren't going to get him for Logan Ondrusek. Maybe Lotzkar and Henry Rodriguez does it, but I don't know really what Washington would be looking for in return.

Last three years Morse OPS were .870, .910, .791.

If folks want to discuss trading for him, I think they have to be realistic about the cost.

Lotzkar, Ondrusek, Bray?

C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

If folks want to discuss trading for him, I think they have to be realistic about the cost.

Lotzkar, Ondrusek, Bray?

C'mon.
    A complete picture would show that Morse also plays horrid defense at positions that require little skill.

He's going to be making near 7M next year... I mean, I'd just as soon bring Ludwick back, wouldn't even have to give anything up for him. Perhaps it would cost more than the lot people here are discussing, but from the Reds POV, I certainly wouldn't be offering anything more.

Remember: there are 28 other potential suitors. I'm sure the Reds could put together a good offer, but I'm thinking there are a few other teams who could put together a more enticing package.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Lotzkar, Ondrusek, Bray?

C'mon.
    Yep. The Reds would have to give up a starting pitcher in the line of someone like Bailey to get him. Also Morse is really a first baseman who is only playing the outfield because LaRoche had such a solid season. He's not very good defensivley but does make up for his deficincies with his bat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

If I was going to trade for someone, that someone would probably be Nelson Cruz.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yep. The Reds would have to give up a starting pitcher in the line of someone like Bailey to get him. Also Morse is really a first baseman who is only playing the outfield because LaRoche had such a solid season. He's not very good defensivley but does make up for his deficincies with his bat.
    Bailey? That's insane. We're talking about a guy here who is basically Jonny Gomes.

-The Insider-

Bailey? That's insane. We're talking about a guy here who is basically Jonny Gomes.
    Seriously? Come on man. In 2012, Morse hit .291 vs. RHP and .290 Vs. LHP. Gomes is solely a bat against lefties as he hit .209 vs RHP last year. No, he is not basically Jonny Gomes.

You obviously haven't watched Michael Morse. He's 100 times better than Gomes ever was.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You obviously haven't watched Michael Morse. He's 100 times better than Gomes ever was.
    Ever was? Morse has been more than a replacement level player once. 3 wins last year. Gomes has put up similar offensive seasons to Morse's best 3 times, in 2005, 2009, and this year. Both are terrible defenders so that's a push.

But yeah Morse is good. He's not THAT good.

Turn Off Ads?