Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ready for some Bengals football!! Bengals v. Bucs -- October 15, 2006

Re: Ready for some Bengals football!! Bengals v. Bucs -- October 15, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I truly don't understand why Tagliabue had such a desire to make the NFL as bland a product as possible...

Maybe/Hopefully Goodell realizes that while certain things are 'over the line,' the fans--supposedly who they are supposed to cater their product towards--generally enjoy flavor and celebrations and FUN.

As to your situation, wow, that is awful. I hope that ref took a good long look at himself in the mirror after making a call like that.
    I could do without the "celebrations," but that is personal preference and really should be allowed as long as it is not unsportsmanlike conduct, like taunting the opponent or clearly showing up the opponent.

The other call, or no call that I almost forgot about, was on Cadillac's 50 yard run that was sprung when the OT pulled down Landon Johnson (I think, a defender for sure) by his shoulder pads to create the gap. I think that is holding.
    Last edited by macro; 10-15-2006 at 11:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I could do without the "celebrations," but that is personal preference and really should be allowed as long as it is not unsportsmanlike conduct, like taunting the opponent or clearly showing up the opponent.

The other call, or no call that I almost forgot about, was on Cadillac's 50 yard run that was sprung when the OT pulled down Landon Johnson (I think, a defender for sure) by his shoulder pads to create the gap. I think that is holding.

That's what I mean as far as what should be allowed.

I dunno what to take away from that game... as you said, the o-line really wasn't all that bad, esp. considering how it was patched together.

Bratkowski finally started to open things up a little bit... I think that that MUST continue.

Carson looks hesitant and his timing is WAY off. His knee appears healthy... he has no problem on QB sneaks etc. etc... It has to be a mental thing? Maybe all the sacks have made him gun-shy? His normally pristine mechanics routinely desert him.

Just a terrible game today all around. I have no real problem with Geather's roughing the passer penalty, he push him down after the ball was thrown; stupid play. The call against Smith was just unfathomably bad. What was he supposed to do there, lay him on the ground and give him a kiss on the forehead?

Still, the Bengals played like crap today…they deserved to lose.

Bottom line today for the Bengals: No pass rush, no pass protetion (or run-blocking either).
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

For a Level Playing Field

The Bengals did not play good. The Bucs did not play good either. However, the Bengals win the game if not for one horrendous flag. No doubt the Bengals win if the referee is not obviously wrong on one play. Regardless of the bad pass rush, bad run defense and bad o-line. Just terrible. The NFL is usually pretty good about fessin' up to bad calls and I hope they do on that one. But it does not change anything. That call cost the Bengals a win and it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The Bengals did not play good. The Bucs did not play good either. However, the Bengals win the game if not for one horrendous flag. No doubt the Bengals win if the referee is not obviously wrong on one play. Regardless of the bad pass rush, bad run defense and bad o-line. Just terrible. The NFL is usually pretty good about fessin' up to bad calls and I hope they do on that one. But it does not change anything. That call cost the Bengals a win and it hurts.
    Hey, I totally agree. Justin Smith not only sacked the QB legitimately and cleanly, he forced a fumble. Game over. Did you hear Marvin? He said, "I guess you're supposed to cuddle the quarterback to the ground."

It truly was one of the more ridiculous roughing calls I've ever seen.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

One thing that made the offense seem to be having a bad game when really they were at least average was crappy field position the whole game. The D could not force 3 and outs and nearly all of our drives started from the 20 or worst. That is hard work for any O to sustain 80+ yard drives.

I agree with everyone on the Bengals level of play right now and the horrendous call on the Justin Smith sack. However, that wouldn't have ended the game. I don't think it was a fumble, it would have been 2nd and 18. The Bengals still let a rookie quarterback drive all the way down the field in the final minutes allowing him to stand back there all day and pick out his receivers, which most of the time he missed. How about stopping them on the 3rd and 13 with 50 seconds left? No excuses. Still, the game can't be blamed on the defense. The offense was downright inept today, minus the two big plays.

All your criticisms are undeniably problems with this team. HOWEVER: I agree with others who have said that those two calls were among the worst they have ever witnessed.

If those two calls, especially the 15 yard penalty that should have been a sack, don't go against the Bengals, we win the game. I still would have made and agreed with all the criticisms you listed, but we should have been leaving TB with a W. Instead we got jobbed today and robbed of an invaluable W.
    I wasn't arguing that those two calls weren't terrible game changers. I was trying to point out that this team shouldn't be in a situation where two bad calls decide whether or not they win the game. Against a team like the Colts that might be the case, but not against an 0-4 Tampa team. The Bengals have more than enough talent to blow a team like Tampa out of the water, injuries or not. Unfortunately, when their preparation and execution resemble the Bengals of 2002 more than the Bengals of 2005, penalties can decide the game. My point is, they earned it. If they would have played the game they are capable of playing, the penalties wouldn't have been as significant as they were. Having said that, they got totally jobbed on those calls.

Here's to hoping they turn it around next week against Carolina.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I wasn't arguing that those two calls weren't terrible game changers. I was trying to point out that this team shouldn't be in a situation where two bad calls decide whether or not they win the game. Against a team like the Colts that might be the case, but not against an 0-4 Tampa team. The Bengals have more than enough talent to blow a team like Tampa out of the water, injuries or not. Unfortunately, when their preparation and execution resemble the Bengals of 2002 more than the Bengals of 2005, penalties can decide the game. My point is, they earned it. If they would have played the game they are capable of playing, the penalties wouldn't have been as significant as they were. Having said that, they got totally jobbed on those calls.

Here's to hoping they turn it around next week against Carolina.
    Could not have said it better myself. There is no way the game should have been that close, not against a team which has been struggling so much.
    The consistent 3 and outs in the first half really hurt. Talent will only take you so far...you have to want it, as well. The Buccs seemed to want the game a lot more than the Bengals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfS9KQsExgs
    Clicky for a quick look at the roughing penalty. Unbelievable.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I agree with this as well. The Bengals did not play well today at all. However, they still lost the game because of the dumbest call I have possibly ever seen in a football game. That roughing call on Smith was worse than the roughing call on David Patterson in the OSU-Texas game.

The Bengals played bad, but man....worst call ever.
    The Carson Palmer injury...the gift that keeps on giving.

Between the injuries and our 'special-needs' players...

Amazing how our linebacking corps has gone from a position of strength to maybe our biggest weakness.
    And losing Thurman, Pollack, and then Simmons is a huge part of that IMO.

IMHO, the Bengals, who were a far superior team, should have never allowed TB to even be in the game. I don't know if it was preparation, the injuries/suspensions to key players, or what.... but you can't lay this loss totally on the refereeing corp. Yes, the Smith call was bogus. But what about Geathers? Someone needs to have a talk with this guy.

The Bengals missed numerous chances and self-imploded on numerous drives. And their inability to run the ball (3 yds in the first half) against a defense ranked 30th vs the rush is simply amazing.

The sack of Palmer by defensive lineman Ellis Wyms that put them out of FG range basically told the story of the whole game IMO.

It's gonna be a struggle in this division.

Take solace in the fact you're not a Brown's fan.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

From someone who saw it in person, let me just tell you that was an awful, awful game.

I did stay afterwards and saw a few players down by the bus.

Kelley Washington was as nice an athlete as I've seen. Just terrific.

Saw Chad- he signed some autographs and walked around with his little girl. He was surprisingly shy.

Housh was there, Marvin, Eric Steinbach (who posed for pictures)...Dexter Jackson also signed a bunch....my friend told him he missed him in Tampa and he told us to tell it to the front office....

I took some pictures with my phone- I'll try and get them posted on here, but I'm not too technologically savvy, so don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfS9KQsExgs
    Clicky for a quick look at the roughing penalty. Unbelievable.
    They called a flag on that??
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?