Ken Griffey Jr. RF
    Brandon Phillips 2B
    Adam Dunn LF
    Edwin Encarnacion 3B
    Joey Votto 1B
    Javier Valentin C

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Opening Day Lineup

The Diamondbacks will be pitching a right-hander on Opening Day (Webb). Patterson will start in centerfield. Keppinger will start at shortstop: offense early, defense late. Bailey, Bruce & Votto will start the season in Louisville. Hatteberg at 1st. Bruce & Votto will make their '08 Reds' debute in early May.

C Patterson - cf
    J Keppinger - ss
    K Griffey, Jr. - rf
    B Phillips - 2b
    A Dunn - lf
    E Encarnacion - 3b (maybe Freel - call it a wakeup call)
    S Hatteberg - 1b
    J Valentine - c
    A Harang - p
    Last edited by chettt; 03-16-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Why do people think Castro is going to start at SS?

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Why do people think Castro is going to start at SS?
    He is getting an awful lot of starts in spring training, and Baker is worried about Keppinger's defense.

If youre worried about Kep's D what about Kep at 2b and Phillips at SS some during ST .

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If youre worried about Kep's D what about Kep at 2b and Phillips at SS some during ST .
    No way why mess with your best player? dusty has actually been smart here and already said brandon is staying put
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I would really like to see an experimental line-up like the one below

Votto (let him do his thing and get on base, don't forget that he had 41 SBs the past two seasons)
    Dunn (let your best offensive asset get the most ABspossible)
    Griffey (let your 2nd best hitter get as many ABs as possible and drive in a ton of runs)
    Phillips (I don't mind Phillips batting 4th if it's after Dunn)
    EdE (Break-out season waiting to happen)
    Kepp (Let the man do his thing and get hits)
    Freel/Hopper/Patterson (having a poor OBP doesn't matter in the 7 hole)
    Ross (hopefully he can be closer to his 2006 numbers than his 2007 numbers in 2008).
    Pitcher

I know this line-up will not happen, but it sure would produce more runs over a full season than Dusty's.

Quote Originally Posted by chettt View Post
    The Diamondbacks will be pitching a right-hander on Opening Day (Webb). Patterson will start in centerfield. Keppinger will start at shortstop: offense early, defense late. Bailey, Bruce & Votto will start the season in Louisville. Hatteberg at 1st. Bruce & Votto will make their '08 Reds' debute in early May.

C Patterson - cf
    J Keppinger - ss
    K Griffey, Jr. - rf
    B Phillips - 2b
    A Dunn - lf
    S Hatteberg - 1b
    J Valentine - c
    A Harang - p
    I think this is hitting the nail right on the head

part of BBN

C Patterson - cf
    J Keppinger - ss
    K Griffey, Jr. - rf
    B Phillips - 2b
    A Dunn - lf
    S Hatteberg - 1b
    J Valentine - c
    A Harang - p
    You may very well be right though I still hope Votto can turn it on and be our starter.
    As I have said before, Votto will get it going,just dont know if it will be in time for making the big league club.

C Patterson - cf
    J Keppinger - ss
    K Griffey, Jr. - rf
    B Phillips - 2b
    A Dunn - lf
    S Hatteberg - 1b
    J Valentine - c
    A Harang - p

That's the way I see it too.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    No way why mess with your best player? dusty has actually been smart here and already said brandon is staying put
    If Brandon was the team's best player, which I don't think he is, you'd think he would be able to make the switch back to his original position, that he wants to play, like his idol Larkin did. What is he, some kind of china doll? He sure looks like our best infielder to me, why isn't he playing SS and Gonzalez being shipped out before he's healthy enough for his bat to return to it's sub .700 OPS form? Keppinger's defense would be a lot better at 2B than it would at SS also. I'd love to hear what the Reds scouts would have to say about Phillips ability to move back to SS.
    Later,

Tom

"One thing about Adam is he wants to play every day. He's played hurt the last couple of years. A lot of people get on him about a lot of different things, but he plays. A whole lot of people look at what he can't do instead of what he does do for us." - Jerry Narron on Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I would really like to see an experimental line-up like the one below

Votto (let him do his thing and get on base, don't forget that he had 41 SBs the past two seasons)
    Dunn (let your best offensive asset get the most ABspossible)
    Griffey (let your 2nd best hitter get as many ABs as possible and drive in a ton of runs)
    Phillips (I don't mind Phillips batting 4th if it's after Dunn)
    EdE (Break-out season waiting to happen)
    Kepp (Let the man do his thing and get hits)
    Freel/Hopper/Patterson (having a poor OBP doesn't matter in the 7 hole)
    Ross (hopefully he can be closer to his 2006 numbers than his 2007 numbers in 2008).
    Pitcher

I know this line-up will not happen, but it sure would produce more runs over a full season than Dusty's.
    I like that point about the number 7 hole. I also like the speed factor at the bottom of the lineup. Speed can make up for a below average sacrafice bunt by the pitcher if the number 7 hitter is on first or second. (Assuming the catcher is not on base).
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I thought I read something about Keppinger playing short at Georgia his whole career. And they won at least the SEC championship. Certainly he's capable of "filling in" for Gonzo in the short term. And I love the guys attitude and bat. He's got Cincy written all over him.

I agree that it makes sense to put BP at SS, but there must be a reason we are all overlooking, so I'm going to go with Dusty on this one.

I'm sure he's playing Castro to get him some at-bats. Regardless how we feel about him, he is thought of as a glove man. If he shows he's healthy, maybe Wayne can ship him off to a team in need of a utility guy. He is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I thought I read something about Keppinger playing short at Georgia his whole career. And they won at least the SEC championship. Certainly he's capable of "filling in" for Gonzo in the short term. And I love the guys attitude and bat. He's got Cincy written all over him.

I agree that it makes sense to put BP at SS, but there must be a reason we are all overlooking, so I'm going to go with Dusty on this one.

I'm sure he's playing Castro to get him some at-bats. Regardless how we feel about him, he is thought of as a glove man. If he shows he's healthy, maybe Wayne can ship him off to a team in need of a utility guy. He is cheap.
    Yes and why again is Castro thought of a a glove guy? Oh that's right. Because Marty says so. I forgot.

Juan Castro is one of the worst baseball players on any major league team anywhere. Great guy. But no way he should be on any major league roster.

Keppinger Keppinger Keppinger!

I just wish this team could find a LONG Term Answer to ShortStop and the Lead OFF Hitter, like what the Mets have in Reyes...

I am not saying the reds can trade for Reyes, I am saying I wish they could fill that Slot with a Middle Infielder Instead of an Outfielder...

I don't like the Corey Patterson Singing... I would rather have went with Kenny Lofton to start the season for Bruce...

Turn Off Ads?