Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest moments in Reds history

Re: Greatest moments in Reds history

Two nominations.
    1. Maloney tying the ML record by striking out 8 in a row, May 21, 1963.

2. The ending of the 1964 season with the Reds fighting for the pennant till the last day as their manager. Fred Hutchinson, is obviously dying of cancer.

2. Likes:

powersackers (02-06-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Best thread of 2014 so far. There are no wrong responses.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-06-2014),Old school 1983 (02-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    The Oliver hit to score Bates in the World Series, I knew it was over then.
    This is in the Top 10, easily

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I would say this would be up there with the 1869 Red Stockings. I understand the argument that the Reds of today have no direct chain of ownership to that team, but my personal feeling is that franchise history belongs to the city and its fans. I'm sure there are Cincinnatians that can look back in their family tree and find great- or great-great grandparents who followed the exploits of the Red Stockings, and today's Reds draw their name and colors from that same franchise. The fact that they didn't play for a few years during the National Association era and one year in the switch from the NL to the AA. The
    Cleveland Browns didn't play for the second half of the 1990s and are recognized as the successors to Browns history rather than the Baltimore Ravens, who have the chain of ownership. Really, other than chain of ownership, what do the Atlanta Braves have to do with the Boston/Milwaukee Red Stockings/Bees/Braves? Nobody in Atlanta cared about the Braves before 1966. Does LA have any connection with Jackie Robinson? I say when a team moves cities, it should be treated as an expansion franchise. All records, championships, and historical achievements stay with the city and the fans who shared those moments.
    I agree. Bobby Thompson's "The Giants Win The Pennant! The Giants Win The Pennant!" home run to win the NL title in 1951 belongs to New York, not San Francisco. Connie Mack's A's belong to Philadelphia, not Kansas City or Oakland. Warren Spahn belongs to Braves fans in Boston and Milwaukee, not Atlanta.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

1. Last out of the 75 Word Series. This popped into my head when I saw the title of the thread. I'll always remember Geronimo jumping into the air after the last out. This cemented the BRM in baseball history and the way that world series was going I fully expected Yaz to hit a HR to tie that game. Also a ton of other moments in that World Series that are very important that you could list as 1A;Perez's game 7 HR;Morgan's go ahead RBI in game 7; Bench's hit in the 9th inning of game two was huge too.
    IIRC Carlton Fisk was on deck when Yaz flew out to Geronimo to end the 1975 Series. I was afraid Yaz would get on base and Fisk would then hit a HR to win the Series for Boston.
    When Joe Morgan got the bloop hit to knock in what turned out to be the winning run, I can recall Fred Lynn vainly trying to get to the ball before it fell in front of him, and Pete Rose going from first to third on the hit with one of his all time biggest head first slides into third base-it seemed like Rose flew forty feet through the air into the base. At that point I wanted the Reds to score a dozen more runs.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-06-2014),powersackers (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    This is in the Top 10, easily
    I was there in the front row green seats behind home plate. Age 13.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I was there in the front row green seats behind home plate. Age 13.
    You can argue it's the top Riverfront Stadium moment ever.

Considering they clinched in 75, 76, and 90 on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Ds1eF0dyE
    Last edited by 5TimeWSChamps; 02-06-2014 at 01:39 AM.

One (actually two) of my favorites growing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx3i-LewMT4

13. Likes:

For me the greatest moment has to be Benzinger catching Lansfords Popup to first in game 4 of the 1990 World Series. It made our beloved Reds World Champions and turned me into a Reds lifer.

15. Likes:

Lee may homerun off Eddie Watt

sadly I wasn´t alive to see those great moments "live"... born in 1989

So I would nominate bailey´s two no-hitters and bruce division clinching homerun

art shamsky's four consecutive home runs

Johnny Bench hitting a home run on Johnny Bench night in 1983.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWCQIBWjnoM
    Last edited by CySeymour; 02-06-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    The Oliver hit to score Bates in the World Series, I knew it was over then.
    For me the pivotal moment was Davis' homer in Game 1. It was not at the key moment like Gibson in 88 but had the same effect of ending things for the A's.

If we were to do an oddball moments, I would have to include:

1. Glenn Bragg breaks his bat on back in Game 4 of the 90 Series.

2. Paul O'Neill muffs picking the ball up in the OF, thinks game is over, kicks the ball back to the infield, and prevents the winning run from scoring.

Better quality
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v20228249/cin...mprobable-play
    http://www.redlegsreview.com/2012/03...his-video.html
    July 5th, 1989 - The memorable play occurred during extra innings in a game versus the Philadelphia Phillies at Veterans Stadium. It is still heralded as one of baseball's all-time greatest bloopers. What happened exactly? I'll refresh your memory.

Tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 10th, Reds right fielder Paul O'Neill can be seen here attempting to field a base hit, but failing to find the handle on it. He then proceeds to kick the cowhide, left-footed, back toward the infield to prevent the game-winning run from scoring. His efforts would be in vain however, as the runner scored on a passed ball just five pitches later anyway, thus giving the Phils a walkoff victory. But the unorthodox relay throw punt by O'Neill will live in infamy
    Note: To embed youtube videos, just put [y t] then [/y t] at the start and then end of the URL. Remove the spaces between the y and t, I had to add them or else they don't show up in this direction.
    Last edited by klw; 02-06-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

I'll add some more walkoff fun (apologies if they were already posted; I merely skimmed the thread)

Joey's GS against the Nats on Mother's Day
    Dunn ties it up; Joker wins it on Opening Day
    Dunn's walkoff GS against the Indians

A personal favorite (although I'm not sure why) was the David Ross walkoff against the Cards in '06. Place just went bonkers.

Greatest moment that I've attended is definitely Game 2 of the '90 WS. Hatcher's triple in the 8th completely woke the crowd up and we stayed loud till Billy Bates scampered home in the 10th.
    No one expects the butterfly

Turn Off Ads?