South Florida at #2 in the nation.

Wow.
    Who saw that one coming

Re: The BCS Will Be A Mess This Year

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    South Florida at #2 in the nation.

Wow.
    I saw them as the #2 team in Florida.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I saw them as the #2 team in Florida.
    Auburn disagrees

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

MWM. Name me the teams that are better than OSU.

If you can convince me of 15-20 teams, I will concede that OSU is probably not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

If you can convince me of 15-20 teams, I will concede that OSU is probably not that good.
    Who said 15-20 teams? Not me. I don't know who's better. Relatvie to this year, they're probably as good as just about anyone. But relative to most years, they're not a great team. Sometimes the year picks you (see 2002).

Right now, if you could put teams on a neutral site, there's not a clear best team. Ohio State is as deserving as the next team. I think they'd struggle to beat USC, LSU, Florida, or Oregon. I think they're capable of beating any of those teams, but I also think they're capable of beaten by any of those teams as well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I love it. The BCS is going to be a mess again this year. I've been saying all along that Ohio State just isn't that good.
    I'm just responding to you thinking that Ohio State "just isn't that good."

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

South Florida
    Oregon
    LSU
    Kentucky
    Oklahoma
    Boston College
    Florida
    South Carolina

I'd take all of those teams straight-up in a game vs. OSU at a neutral site.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm just responding to you thinking that Ohio State "just isn't that good."
    That might have been an exaggeration. I think they're pretty good and better than most give them credit for. But National Champion good? Probably not in most years. But hey, the 2002 team didn't seem that good either. Heck, I think this year's team is probably better than that squad.

Maybe I'm just having a hard time getting past my impression of them coming into this season and in the first couple of games.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    South Florida
    Oregon
    LSU
    Kentucky
    Oklahoma
    Boston College
    Florida
    South Carolina

I'd take all of those teams straight-up in a game vs. OSU at a neutral site.

I don't think South Carolina or Oklahoma have enough offense to move the ball on the Buckeyes. And Boston College is fool's gold. That's the one team on your list I think OSU would beat handily.

The teams that could beat OSU have to have to be pretty balanced. You can't be really good one side of the football, but weak on the other. OSU's offense is pretty good, but not great. The defense is pretty awesome. So you better have a damn good defense, and the offense better be able to score on anyone.

I's add USC to your list. They're better than they've played the past couple of weeks. They're a team that matched up well against the Buckeyes and I think they'd win on a neutral site if both teams are healthy.

Kentucky, I know they beat LSU and all, but I just don't see it. I think it would be close, but I think the Bucks win that one. But it's not a no-brainer, either.

LSU, Florida, and Oregon I agree with you, although I think Tim Tebow is VERY over-rated as a total QB.

Ohio State is a much better team than last year, IMO. I've seen them live three times already and they have only one small weakness. They don't get a major push up the middle with Cordle/Person.
    Tressel can now rely on true depth at the SE and FL position. He also will never trust anyone like he did Troy again. Nobody thought he would come in 25 lbs overweight and 12 step drop us out of rhythm and the game basically.

Their defense is light years ahead of last years team. Brandon Mitchell and Jamario O'neal forced Heacock into a very conservative strategy last year, that worked in a somewhat weak Big Ten. This year they have two of the best safeties in CFB and with Chekwa playing so well they basically have 5 DB's on the field on most downs.
    I'm just gonna enjoy the ragging Ohio State gets for the next few months about their competition. People are going to assume this Ohio State team is just like last years over hyped team. They are clearly better on defense and also Tressel is gonna treat the big games like he used to. His playcalling will be much more efficient and he has better depth to work with. This is also the fastest team Ohio State has ever had and every year it's getting faster. There isn't a team in America that has more overall speed than OSU and just like 02 Tressel is gonna prove it. It's gonna be a fun ride.

They also have a HUGE chip on their shoulder. I really don't think people understand the talent level at Ohio State. It gets better every year. With this years recruiting class it's going to get scary.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Florida and LSU have just as much, if not more, team speed as OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Florida and LSU have just as much, if not more, team speed as OSU.
    It's impossible to measure. It's probably a wash like I said. The legit championship programs aren't getting by with slow players anymore. Doesn't happen.

The 02 Ohio State defense had 11 NFL players and people still refused to admit that Ohio State could possibly be as fast as other schools.

NFL teams don't draft slow players. And Ohio State produces NFL talent better than both LSU and Florida.

Want to hear a crazy stat?

When Rich Brooks took over at UK, they had ONE player who could run a sub 4.5 40. Now they have 18.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Want to hear a crazy stat?

When Rich Brooks took over at UK, they had ONE player who could run a sub 4.5 40. Now they have 18.
    That's just crazy. You couldn't compete in the WAC with that speed.

Turn Off Ads?