Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto

Neftali Soto

19 year old third baseman playing at Billings. In 5 games he's hit 4 HR's and is batting .435.

Hopefully another promising prospect that will move quickly through the minors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Neftali Soto

Soto's been on the radar for awhile. 6-3 180 pounds, Soto is from Puerto Rico where he broke Juan Gonzalez' HS home run record for PR. He had an .809 OPS in 2007 as an 18 y/o in the GCL and if you like RISP he OPS'd 1.010 with runners in scoring position. He's still raw and has a long way to go and doesn't project to stay at SS. Maybe 3B or left field. He is an intriguing prospect and this year it will be interesting to see if he can show some discipline and keep the strikeouts from getting out of control - he has a wide stance and long swing so discipline will be important.

He tailed off towards the end of last season due to an injury. I can't recall what the injury was, but I seem to remember his name being omitted from box scores for the last week of '07.

There are some videos out there of him hitting in an All-Star home run challenge as a high schooler. He has a very sweet stroke, very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    He tailed off towards the end of last season due to an injury. I can't recall what the injury was, but I seem to remember his name being omitted from box scores for the last week of '07.

There are some videos out there of him hitting in an All-Star home run challenge as a high schooler. He has a very sweet stroke, very smooth.
    He was shut down with an elbow inflammation in August last year. It was considered a minor injury but precautionary step.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Why are players from Puerto Rico placed in the draft, while Dominicans and other players from Latin America are part of a free-for-all bidding war? Is it as simple as Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory while the DR and other islands are not?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Why are players from Puerto Rico placed in the draft, while Dominicans and other players from Latin America are part of a free-for-all bidding war? Is it as simple as Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory while the DR and other islands are not?
    Yes, that's the reason.

Then why are players from Canada eligible for the draft and not the free-for-all? I mean, I know the U.S. could take over Canada at any time, but we haven't, at least not yet ;-)

Blitz, the draft rules are stupid, its not worth the time trying to find reason and common sense behind them.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Good point inco.

Man the Reds really seem poised to be the leader of player acquisition in the Latin countries.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Man the Reds really seem poised to be the leader of player acquisition in the Latin countries.
    Probably won't happen but if they get Inoa and Ramirez to go with Duran they ARE the Latin leader for this year anyway.

Who is this Ramirez guy everyone keeps bringing up? I've only read about Inoa and Duran.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    Who is this Ramirez guy everyone keeps bringing up? I've only read about Inoa and Duran.
    I think he means Yorman Rodriguez, the second best player behind Inoa. He's an outfielder rumored to be seeking around two million dollars. I doubt if the Reds sign him if they get Inoa.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I think he means Yorman Rodriguez, the second best player behind Inoa. He's an outfielder rumored to be seeking around two million dollars. I doubt if the Reds sign him if they get Inoa.
    No, but he wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if they lose out on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Then why are players from Canada eligible for the draft and not the free-for-all? I mean, I know the U.S. could take over Canada at any time, but we haven't, at least not yet ;-)
    JMO here.

Canada has a very established school system. Their culture is more closely tied to ours. They are seen as more equal, with it's citizens having the same opportunities as those in the U.S.

Not so much in the DR, Venezuela etc. Japan has it's own system that prevents kids from joining MLB.

MLB really, really needs to add the world to the draft. plain and simple. make it fair.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?