Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Buckley's list of players Reds are interested in with #12 pick

Chris Buckley's list of players Reds are interested in with #12 pick

From John Fay:

Buckley said the Reds’ pick would likely come from the following group (all are college players), listed by their BA rank:

7. RHP Deck McGuire, Georgia Tech: He’s 8-4 with a 3.01 ERA. Got roughed up in the ACC tourney.

9. SS Colon: Hitting .350 with 14 homers and 55 RBI. Projects more as a second baseman.

14. CF Gary Brown, Cal State Fullerton: Hitting .438 with 13 homers, 54 RBI and 31 steals.

21. RHP Alex Wimmers, Ohio State: From Moeller. Went 9-0 with a 1.60 ERA before going out with hamstring injury. He’s healthy now.

25. 2B Kolbin Vitek, Ball State: Hitting .368 with 17 homers, 68 RBI, 15 steals.

“These are all guys we’ve scouted all year,” Buckley said. “We’re just now starting to talk to agents and putting together our board.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...t-the-draft-2/

BIG NO THANKS to Gary Brown. Last time I checked he had something like nine walks all season. He profiles as a Juan Pierre type of player. Pass.

Out of that group, give me Colon, McGuire, or Wimmers. I'm surprised Yasmani Grandal isn't in that group as I've seen a lot of websites linking him to the Reds,

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Buckley's list of players Reds are interested in with #12 pick

Looks like the Reds are playing the wait and see who drops in the draft game. If Colon drops to 12 I think they jump all over that. If Colon is not there than the pick might be Wimmers.

Key ommission Bryce Brentz who the Reds have been linked too. Buckley might be playing possum.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I believe that as much as I believe, well something I dont believe very much.

Better enjoy this draft. I think it's going to be awhile before the Reds pick top 12 again.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Of course, there's no point in posturing unless you think a player might actually make it to you in the second round. Until teams can trade picks, no need for secrecy

I don't believe Mike Leake was linked to the Reds until about an hour before the draft. This front office is a cloak and dagger operation, I like that.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Watching mlb.com's videos and reading their reports, about the only one I for sure wouldn't want is Colon. I like everything about Brown except his stance. I just don't think thats gonna work in the bigs. I like McGuire a lot, but his lack of FB movement scares me a lot as well. All of these guys have something that scares me.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Theme here is college. Interesting that Grandal is not on the list.

McGuire and Wimmers seem to both be in the "closest to the majors" discussion. Polished college arms with mid-rotation stuff.

Colon looks like a solid middle infielder, possibly moving to 2B with SS skills. Excellent bat handler and a leader. I like him as possible heir apparent to Phillips, down the road.

Like Colon, Brown is a Cal State Fullerton guy (like Josh Fellhauer too). In some ways, this is the most interesting player of the 5 in that he could be a leadoff hitter with good hitting skills and top-end speed. Surprisingly, he's a little guy from a big-time program who's still considered a bit "raw."

Vitek is an intriguing RH college bat. Sounds like he's something of a tweener defensively, and that possible IF-OF versatility can be a plus. Probably has the highest offensive ceiling of the 3 position players on this list.

Overall, I can't say I have strong preferences here, though hitters are always more fun to track. The Reds are clearly into being conservative with their top pick lately, and this is a continuation of that philosophy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The only guy there I would be happy with is Deck McGuire out of that list. The rest of the guys just have big weaknesses that worry me. This draft is full of a lot of guys that are normally #20-40 type guys and lacking a lot of guys that are #10-20 type guys.

Jocketty's pattern seems to be college players with high draft choices; younger players from international signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Jocketty's pattern seems to be college players with high draft choices; younger players from international signings.
    Jocketty will very likely have nothing to do with the draft. GM's tend to get the credit, but most will admit that they leave it up to their scouting director. With that said, Buckley likes up the middle college players. He has gone other ways every now and again (Mesoraco, Alonso, Hamilton), but for the most part he goes pitching or up the middle college guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jocketty will very likely have nothing to do with the draft. GM's tend to get the credit, but most will admit that they leave it up to their scouting director. With that said, Buckley likes up the middle college players. He has gone other ways every now and again (Mesoraco, Alonso, Hamilton), but for the most part he goes pitching or up the middle college guys.
    I'm sure Jocketty has little to do with most of the picks.

But a team's first pick must involve the GM and even, perhaps, ownership. A top twelve pick will get a meaningful contract and I just don't believe that Buckley is making that decision without significant input from Walt.

Jocketty has a say in the top pick, at the very least from the standpoint that he approves the draft budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm sure Jocketty has little to do with most of the picks.

But a team's first pick must involve the GM and even, perhaps, ownership. A top twelve pick will get a meaningful contract and I just don't believe that Buckley is making that decision without significant input from Walt.
    Walt tells him 'you have X money, make it count' and that is probably the extent of it. Jocketty puts these guys in place to do their jobs. If he didn't have faith in them to do their jobs, he wouldn't keep them around. I am sure he asks about stuff, but Walt is going to make the decision that Buckley says to make because Buckley is the guy who talks to his area scouts every day. He is the one who pours over the scouting reports on all of the guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Walt tells him 'you have X money, make it count' and that is probably the extent of it. Jocketty puts these guys in place to do their jobs. If he didn't have faith in them to do their jobs, he wouldn't keep them around. I am sure he asks about stuff, but Walt is going to make the decision that Buckley says to make because Buckley is the guy who talks to his area scouts every day. He is the one who pours over the scouting reports on all of the guys.
    On the first pick, I would doubt that Walt simply defers. It's not an insignificant decision. My guess is Walt makes the call on the first pick, although he clearly listens hard to what Buckley says.

Beyond the first pick, doubt Walt has much to say, except on general philosophy.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-02-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Turn Off Ads?