Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Hmm, draftexpress, which I like a lot better than draft.net, has him going in the 2nd round with the 20th pick... Kid's a good player, no doubt, but he's more of a fringe NBA prospect than any sort of a sure-thing. JMO of course, could be totally wrong.
    Nonetheless, he's a bit better than a "stinker."

Averaging 18.1-11.7-3.4 per game.

Had 22-15 vs. West Virginia
    16-14 vs. Purdue
    17-12 vs. Michigan State
    and 26-10 last night.

He can play.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Nonetheless, he's a bit better than a "stinker."

Averaging 18.1-11.7-3.4 per game.

Had 22-15 vs. West Virginia
    16-14 vs. Purdue
    17-12 vs. Michigan State
    and 26-10 last night.

He can play.
    Yeah he's good. I thought you were saying earlier that there was a future NBA player on Drexel and my early-morning brain took over from there. I didn't watch the UT game, only the Drexel one. I was wracking my brain trying to remember the big for Drexel who had NBA potential.

EDIT: We got our lines crossed. I was talking about Drexel when you were talking about Oakland and vice versa. Sorry, it's early. Oakland I agree is pretty good. Drexel..... I just don't see it. They really did try to give that game to UL last night several times.
    They outrebounded Louisville by 20. Sure, they turned it over. A lot. But a lot of team are going to do that against Louisville.

Just looked like to me Drexel played harder.

Yeah he's good. I thought you were saying earlier that there was a future NBA player on Drexel and my early-morning brain took over from there. I didn't watch the UT game, only the Drexel one. I was wracking my brain trying to remember the big for Drexel who had NBA potential.
    I hear you. 8 cups of coffee is the only way I'm rolling.

They outrebounded Louisville by 20. Sure, they turned it over. A lot. But a lot of team are going to do that against Louisville.

That's exactly what I saw.

That, and UL has very little offense coming from their big men and if their wings aren't hitting 3s they have a very anemic offense...

I was really surprised how lackadaisical Siva was bringing the ball up in the final minutes when they were down. He plays with a lot more 'swagger' than he has earned, IMO.

That's how I saw it too. Was watching it with my dad and he was railing on all the missed FT's down the stretch. That irritates him to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's how I saw it too. Was watching it with my dad and he was railing on all the missed FT's down the stretch. That irritates him to no end.
    Is your dad a Hoosier too?

You never shared your thoughts about the game, btw...

Your guys actually surprised me a bit.

Is your dad a Hoosier too?

You never shared your thoughts about the game, btw...

Your guys actually surprised me a bit.
    Oh yeah, he's a Hoosier. He was pretty ticked at the collapse on Saturday, as was I. IU played tough and hung in there only for it all to fall apart the last 8-10 minutes. Disappointing and encouraging at the same time.

Honestly, how can Purvis look at Siva's complete lack of development and stick with his UL verbal? I'll be very surprised if it sticks. The best point guard Pitino has put into the NBA is Sebastian Telfair.
    Have you watched Louisville play at all this year? Outside of this one game, Siva has been much better this year compared to last. His biggest problem is picking up cheap fouls reaching on defense. He's still not a great shooter but he has done well so far with the faster pace of the Louisville offense.

Just saw that the SEC-Big East Challenge is going to be an Invitational similar to the ACC-Big Ten. All teams will be playing and on home floors instead of neutral sites.

Add in playing Kansas/Duke/Michigan State the next three years and now likely a top Big East team and this schedule is getting more grueling. I like it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Heard something really funny happened last night...

Guess UL had a graduation ceremony last night and someone listed their middle name as "Free Enes."

That is so awesome. hahaha.

80 years ago today, Adolph Rupp coached his first game at KENTUCKY, a win over my alma mater Georgetown College.

Here is a link to the boxscore: http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Sta...wnCollege.html

Basketball's Baron - Rupp Turns Philosopher and Coaches Love It

by Joseph Litsch, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, March 26, 1977.

College basketball has never experienced such a lineup: Hobson, Meyer, Iba, Hinkle, Holman, Longborg, Hickey, Rupp, Wooden.

Among the nine are more than 4,500 wins, 17 NCAA championships, 14 NIT championships and five Hall of Famers. The Hyatt Regency's Phoenix Ballroom was packed to standing room only to hear each in turn reminisce and evaluate various aspects of basketball.

But it was only when Adolph Rupp, affectionately and respectfully called the Baron of Bluegrass Basketball, spoke that the multitude responded with a standing ovation.

"Gentlemen, I don't know where basketball is going," Rupp began in the familiar quavering voice. "I don't think preachers are overpaid, I know they pray like hell over that collection plate, but I don't think it's filled. And when a preacher's son enrolls as a freshman driving a Thunderbird, I wonder about it. When I get back home to Lexington, I'm going down to check the Thunderbird prices. I didn't know they were in that range."

Rupp leaned heavily on the lectern. He had been assisted by Abe Lemons and Ray Meyer. "This is not one of my good days," Rupp explained later. He is 75 and seriously ill.

"I thought I'd throw in a little philosophy." Rupp went on. "I think we get a little thin-skinned if we stay in this business long. And believe me, I've had some sharpies thrown at me.

"Just the other day, I heard of one - and it was a sharp one - from Arizona," Rupp continued. "Things like that can hurt, especially if you've got children who are old enough to read.

"But let me tell you one thing about criticism. Forget it. If you worry about what people think and say about you, you'll never last in this game," Rupp said.

The room was quiet save the gravelly voice. Those present were seeing an Adolph Rupp they had never before seen. A sharp contrast to the quick wit and sharp tongue of previous coaching clinics.

"I think a lot about Rudyard Kipling. I remember when he was still living and an editor for the Manchester Guardian wrote that the junk Kipling was writing would never last.

"Well, it hurt Kipling," Rupp continued. "He was greatly depressed. And while he was in that depression, he sat down and wrote the poem 'L'Envoi'."

"When earth's last picture is painted, and the tubes are twisted and dried.
    When the oldest colors have faded, and the youngest critic has died.
    We shall rest, and faith, we shall need it - lie down for an aeon or two.
    Till the Master of All Good Workmen shall set us to work anew!

And those that were good will be happy; they shall sit in a golden chair;
    They shall splash at a ten-league canvas with brushes of comets' hair;
    They shall find real saints to draw from - Magdalene, Peter and Paul;
    They shall work for an age at a sitting and never be tired at all!

And only the Master shall praise us, and only the Master shall blame;
    And no one shall work for money, and no one shall work for fame;
    But each for the joy of the working, and each, in his own separate star,
    Shall draw the Thing as he sees It for the God of Things as They Are!"

"Thank you."

There was an air of benediction, but the reverence was broken by thunderous applause. The crowd stood, applauding and wondering if this would be the last time they would listen to the man in the brown suit. This was a different man from the one who had won 880 games while Kentucky's head basketball coach.

"Well, this is the first time I've ever said this," Rupp said later. "This is my philosophy and I've always tried to live by that poem. I learned it back in 1919.

"When I got up, I didn't know what I was going to say. Everybody else had talked about the game, so I decided to give them some advice."

Rupp has never dodged criticism nor the public. His telephone number to this day is listed in the Lexington directory. Dial it and he answers.

"I saw no reason for an unlisted number," he said. "If somebody wanted to talk to me, I wanted to talk to them."

When he shows up at Rupp Arena, the 23,000-seat coliseum named for him and built for the Kentucky team he established, it's cause for a five-minute standing ovation.

"I don't go when they play Mississippi or a team like that. I want to see a contest," he said the old fight blazing through.

Hundreds of coaches filed past Rupp, shaking his hand and asking for his autograph.

"You know what you've meant to me, and I want to thank you," said North Carolina Coach Dean Smith.

"And good luck to you," answered Rupp.

"This is the most enjoyable session I've ever been to and I've been to plenty," said former Georgia Tech Coach John "Whack" Hyder.

Rupp waited until the crowd had thinned then asked someone to help him up. "This has been a long session. They tire me out," he said.

The crowd in the lobby parted to let him through. Hands thrust out to shake his, Rupp accepted the praise graciously.

"Now that's what you call a real legend," said one young coach. "He IS college basketball."

Cal wore a brown suit in tribute to Coach Rupp's first game 80 years ago and ended up getting ejected for only the 2nd time in his career.

Eloy Vargas went up for a lob and got undercut and Cal lost it. That's a sore spot with many coaches when it isn't called because it can so easily result in injury. Cal definitely got his money's worth. It made me wonder how many times, if any, Coach Rupp was ejected? Cal made the joke that Rupp didn't get ejected, HE ejected the officials.

Brandon Knight also made a better than half-court shot that ended up being SC #1 play.

Joe B. Hall was honored last night and over 40 of his former players came to participate.

It was cool seeing Sean Woods back in the building. He said he still gets goosebumps whenever he comes into Rupp. One of my favorite Cats.

I don't blame Cal for being ejected. The refs decided to take the 2nd half off and not call anything against either team. I think it was Lamb that got hammered on a shot just before the Vargas non-call too. I'm sure he also used it to try to light some type of fire in his team. They were very slugglish the whole night. But you can expect that against a team like MVSU. The next two games will be similar too against Winthrop and Coppin State. I'm sure they are looking ahead to the holiday and Louisville already.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I don't blame Cal for being ejected. The refs decided to take the 2nd half off and not call anything against either team. I think it was Lamb that got hammered on a shot just before the Vargas non-call too. I'm sure he also used it to try to light some type of fire in his team. They were very slugglish the whole night. But you can expect that against a team like MVSU. The next two games will be similar too against Winthrop and Coppin State. I'm sure they are looking ahead to the holiday and Louisville already.
    Went back and watched the video of Cal getting ejected. You knew it was coming but what cracked me up was that Doron Lamb was the one trying to calm Cal down.

I thought the Vargas non call could have went either way though. It wasn't incidental contact but it was a dangerous fall that could have resulted in a serious injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?