Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is edgy language?

Re: What is edgy language?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    If Redszone was a movie it would likely be rated G.
    In 1930.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    In 1930.
    1934....right after the Hayes Commission started to take affect.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1934....right after the Hayes Commission started to take affect.
    Or maybe in the '40's. Saying the word 'damn' was still a big deal in the '30's.

What the French, toast?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Or maybe in the '40's. Saying the word 'damn' was still a big deal in the '30's.
    It was a big deal up through the 60's according to my dad. Using the word "damn" or "hell" (or worse words) got yourself smacked right upside the head resulting in a very fast trip to the floor and a very stern warning that such language is not acceptable. It took once for me to learn that lesson.

Its all where darn and heck and gol durn and god bless america became part of my lexicon.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

As a general rule if you couldn't say it on The Andy Griffith Show (the black and white years) then you can't say it on redszone.

It's called the Andy Rule in the FAQ.

Also see Grande, George.

If some people want to be able to say whatever they want in terms of language, making that change is certainly not going to bother me, but I'd be willing to bet not everyone shares your point of view.

Nobody ever shares one point of view...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Except from a grave

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Yeah, that's right, but while there are some vocal people in this thread expressing about how they'd like to see things done, I know from feedback over the years that there are enough people with a different point of view that it wouldn't be some slam dunk decision either way. If it was, we'd have made the change a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Yeah, that's right, but while there are some vocal people in this thread expressing about how they'd like to see things done, I know from feedback over the years that there are enough people with a different point of view that it wouldn't be some slam dunk decision either way. If it was, we'd have made the change a long time ago.
    Where? Are there some invisible posts in this thread?

When? Are there some invisible posts in this thread?
    It's not difficult for all of us to read between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    It's not difficult for all of us to read between the lines.
    I guess it's just harder for me.

BTW I was asking sincerely. I had a friend who used to call everyone "tomato head" and "applesauce brain" and we all thought it no harm until one day I found out one of our friends was actually really hurt by it and he told me in confidence that those terms were actually old insults that people would call Irish workers during the turn of the century. I had never known that and was wondering if others had heard the same origin for the term but anyway I guess the moral is that something that seems harmless to you might actually be really hurtful to others so it's best just not to say it at all. I don't need to use bad words or call Drew Stubbs a "tomato head" to enjoy and discuss Reds baseball anyway so it's all a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    BTW I was asking sincerely. I had a friend who used to call everyone "tomato head" and "applesauce brain" and we all thought it no harm until one day I found out one of our friends was actually really hurt by it and he told me in confidence that those terms were actually old insults that people would call Irish workers during the turn of the century. I had never known that and was wondering if others had heard the same origin for the term but anyway I guess the moral is that something that seems harmless to you might actually be really hurtful to others so it's best just not to say it at all. I don't need to use bad words or call Drew Stubbs a "tomato head" to enjoy and discuss Reds baseball anyway so it's all a moot point.
    The terms you used might be considered insults for the reason you described but they are certainly not "edgy language".

Turn Off Ads?