Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grey's Anatomy = Awful.

Re: Grey's Anatomy = Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    I must admit I enjoy the experience.

I usually am watching with a room full of female friends. Maybe I just enjoy the "company?"

I saw about 10 minutes of the show a couple of weeks ago. Might have been the season premier. I didn't see enough of it to form an opinion but I like the way you think, Doog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

I watch Grey's Anatomy every week with my wife, who is an avid fan. I can't say that it's the greatest show on TV, that's reserved for Lost, but it isn't a bad show at all. I like all medical based shows, so it's a little easier for me to like Grey's Anatomy, probably moreso than other people. I do appreciate how the writers read through medical history books and then write real, true medical stories into their episodes. Every case that is presented on the show is an actual case that happened at one time or another in real life. I appreciate that, moreso than ER, which makes up about 3/4 of the stuff on their episodes.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

for a cool medical show, I recommend House.

GA is fluff, but my wife loves it. Since I love her, we watch it together.

Of course I get to maker her watch Monday Night Raw.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

For a cool medical show I recommend Scrubs, at least when it comes back on in January.

Stupid NBC
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I feel like I'm watching a show from the Jerry Lewis/ Sammy Davis/ Dean Martin days.

One might expect Edskin's reply to be, "And coming from the greatest humanitarian in the world, that means so much..."

As Steve Martin pointed out in Roxanne,words don't mean anything anymore: "They've all been wasted...on the shampoo commercials, and uhh, and the ads, and uhh the flavorings. All the beautiful words. I mean, how can you, uhh, how can you love a floor wax? Uhh, how can you love a diaper? I mean how can I use the same word about you that, uh, someone else uses about a stuffing?"

My intent was for the post to have a playful tone. I didn't mean to waste your time, or irritate you with my choice of words.

I should have been more direct. I have seen the show many times (my girlfriend is a regular), and I think it is terrible. I have little to no tolerance for prime-time soap operas. I don't care who is sleeping with who, or whether the focus is on men, women, or Lego figures. Of course, I'm pretty biased. Outside of a few exceptions, I think that all television sucks.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior View Post
    Also another great story - guy with this really bad facial condition. He was so horrified to go out in public. He thought his mother was the only person who ever loved him. Turned out that he had a tumor that was causing some of his problems. He died in surgery, and the surgeon fixed his face after he died.
    Ugh. That's not a great story, that's just unrealistic crap. Really, what surgeon is going to waste time operating on someone who's dead? I've never seen more than a few minutes of the show, and something tells me that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Ugh. That's not a great story, that's just unrealistic crap. Really, what surgeon is going to waste time operating on someone who's dead? I've never seen more than a few minutes of the show, and something tells me that's a good thing.
    As I said above, EVERY case they present on the show is a true story of a case that happened in real life. It happened.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

He died in surgery, and the surgeon fixed his face after he died.
    Then he played a round of golf for charity.

Ahhh... the reality of television.

He played golf after dying?

It's the feel good story of the year!
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    As I said above, EVERY case they present on the show is a true story of a case that happened in real life. It happened.
    Yeah, but you have to admit you had a problem with the hospital prom, you know where people stop getting hurt and dieing so that the docs and nurses could have a dance and an orgy, for a patient no less?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

You don't watch Grey's Anatomy for gritty medical realism. That's ER. The medicine stuff is just color for the interpersonal soap operas. Which is why, if I may draw on a stereotypical-but-true belief, women like the show. It's familiar territory for the target audience of Y&R and All My Children.

So people who are getting on the show for not being medically realistic enough are technically right, but they miss the point. It's like criticizing those aforementioned daytime dramas for inaccurately portraying amnesia victims.

I hadn't heard about the whole "every case on the show really happened" thing, but "based on a true story" can often have pretty tenuous ties to what actually happened. I don't think it's debatable that the medical cases on the show aren't pretty heavily stylized in places.

As for my own opinion- it's decent fun to watch if there are fans of the show in the room, but a real snoozer without someone to bounce observations off of. The main problem is simple: I find Meredith's character incredibly annoying and worthy of a few paintbrushes across the grill.

I do agree with Ed's blog take on how silly the little "competition" over Meredith is. Guys who look like Chris O'Donnell and/or Patrick Dempsey certainly don't need to pine over a girl who acts like that all the time. That aspect of the show's current plot is simply female writers expressing their ego fantasies.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 10-06-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    I do agree with Ed's blog take on how silly the little "competition" over Meredith is. Guys who look like Chris O'Donnell and/or Patrick Dempsey certainly don't need to pine over a girl who acts like that all the time. That aspect of the show's current plot is simply female writers expressing their ego fantasies.
    My guess, having never seen the show, is that it's not "female writers expressing their ego fantasies" as much as it is Hollywood's drive to attempt to use beautiful people to substitute for regular human beings, and the public's buying into physical beauty as a form of escapism.

If all of these people were average-looking, would you have the same complaint? But that can't happen on television, not with the standards set as they currently are. People who would knock you over walking down the street serve as "the plain janes" and "fat girls" or "computer nerds" on television.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My guess, having never seen the show, is that it's not "female writers expressing their ego fantasies" as much as it is Hollywood's drive to attempt to use beautiful people to substitute for regular human beings, and the public's buying into physical beauty as a form of escapism.

If all of these people were average-looking, would you have the same complaint? But that can't happen on television, not with the standards set as they currently are. People who would knock you over walking down the street serve as "the plain janes" and "fat girls" or "computer nerds" on television.
    Point taken, but I'm really just trying to agree with Ed's take on his blog (please read it if you haven't). The lack of realism in the way these characters are written offends me more than anything having to do with the medicine, etc. Those are the two areas (whiny/unbelievable/self-obsessed characters, medical ridiculousness) where the show draws 95% of its criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    It wasn't about the surgery - we all knew that was unrealistic. It was about the fact that the guy was so horrified and disgusted with himself that he had convinced himself that he had this one fatal flaw that no one could fix. And dealing with the reality that you have something wrong with you that others will refuse to accept. The whole show delved around that theme, just as it does every week.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

My intent was for the post to have a playful tone. I didn't mean to waste your time, or irritate you with my choice of words.
    I was just razzin' ya.

No hard feelings were meant, I promise.

Turn Off Ads?