Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Here Work "Grave Yard" Over Night Shift?

Re: Anyone Here Work "Grave Yard" Over Night Shift?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    They say working 3rd shift shortens your life span...... so I have that going for me.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Try a sound machine. I moved into a newly built house while working nites and this did help out quite a bit. That was several years ago and I still use the machine quite often.

And another problem with working 3rd shift is the weekends. You've "geared" your body to be up during the night hours, and then the weekend comes where you try to get it switch around, only to have to switch it back around if you go in on Sunday night (which would be Monday for a 3rd shifter).

It's why I've been up for the last 2 hours.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I posted this last March and am continuing to enjoy the graveyard shift as Supervisor.

I better get back to work!

EDIT: I am sorry for replying to so many threads this morning. It has been awhile since I have been here.
    Last edited by goreds2; 10-07-2008 at 01:00 AM.

THere's a reason they call it the GRAVEYARD shift.

You get there faster.

It's hard getting sleep on Sundays, especially during football season, and then having to go into work that night.

It's also hard, getting off on Friday mornings and not having to work that weekend, especailly in nice weather, and not be tempted to stay up. Of course when you do, you're a real bear by evening, and your family stays clear. I broke that habit years ago. I come home and at least get 3-4 hours of sleep.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    THere's a reason they call it the GRAVEYARD shift.

You get there faster.

It's hard getting sleep on Sundays, especially during football season, and then having to go into work that night.

It's also hard, getting off on Friday mornings and not having to work that weekend, especailly in nice weather, and not be tempted to stay up. Of course when you do, you're a real bear by evening, and your family stays clear. I broke that habit years ago. I come home and at least get 3-4 hours of sleep.

Same here. I work 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off 3 on 3 off. Sometimes I am up 26-27 hours during the day/night I first go back. I don't really ever try to stay up on my first day off. Makes the day miserable for me and anyone around me.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I look forward to getting off of 3rd shift someday at Honda.... when I retire.

I worked midnight shift for about a week at Kroger. Basically watching the floor cleaners watch wax dry.

When you have to switch back from midnights to day shift, that is when it is even more fun. Your sleep pattern is off because you were used to sleeping during the day that you don't get hardly any sleep at all. I found out later that I was sleepwalking during that time.

Red Bull and Full Throttle became my friends during that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Same here. I work 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off 3 on 3 off.
    I work this same format as supervisor as I have to fill in day shift on occassion to cover vacation. That really screws with your body. My boss is really good at giving me extra days off as he knows it can be hectic and I save the company overtime.

I could not work 5 graveyards every week. I prefer working the 3 -12's one week then 4 the next.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I work this same format as supervisor as I have to fill in day shift on occassion to cover vacation. That really screws with your body. My boss is really good at giving me extra days off as he knows it can be hectic and I save the company overtime.

I could not work 5 graveyards every week. I prefer working the 3 -12's one week then 4 the next.
    Company would like to put us on 4 on 4 off all the time. We get time and a quarter on Saturday and time and a half on Sunday. We are a union shop and I'm not sure if it is a contractual issue or not. I would rather stay on what we are on now, but it isn't a big deal as long as they don't want to make weekends straight time.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

In my line of work, you might do an overnighter, grab a bit of sleep, then get an afternoon pickup going about 400 miles and be done by 10pm. Then you go to bed, sleep all night, get up in the morning, and you don't find a load until 7pm and you have to drive all night for a morning delivery. Then you might go 3 or 4 days with daytime runs. You don't really settle into one routine. You learn to get your sleep when you can and in all times during the day or night. When I decide to sleep, it doesn't matter if it's light out or dark or how much noise there is. I just drop off like flipping a switch and when I get up I'm ready to roll.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I worked 3rd shift 11-7 for years and loved it. I now work second and still sleep like I'm on 3rd. I normally go to bed about 4 am. 2nd shift is the worse shift to work as far as doing anything. You can't have a life working 3-11. I have to DVR all the ballgames as well. 3rd shift is good if you go to bed as soon as you get home and get up about 3 or 4 o'clock.

When the kid is ready to go to school, I'm going to day shift or 3rd shift for sure. If you have kids, you don't want to work 2nd shift.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I myself combine evening shifts and day shifts, sometimes consecutively. For example last Saturday I worked 2-11 PM, and then had to get up at 5 AM so I could start the Sunday shift at 7 AM. I ended up not getting any sleep Saturday night, and then ended up sleeping 16 straight hours after my shift was over Sunday night. This is what happens when you have open availability 7 AM-11 PM, seven days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    This is what happens when you have open availability 7 AM-11 PM, seven days a week.
    I hope you are paid accordingly.

Turn Off Ads?