Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do in the Offseason?

What to do in the Offseason?

After watching this Reds team perform in the last month of the season I feel pretty good saying we aren't THAT far away from being a contender. I still think we need a SS, a slugger, a catcher and another SP. Here are some moves I would like to see.

1. Cut Willy Taveras, let Ramon Hernandez walk, and permanently move Brandon Phillips to SS.

2. With the payroll how it is your going to have to deal one of three players: Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, or Francisco Cordero. The guy with the most value and who I could tolerate losing would be Bronson Arroyo. The team who needs him and could give us a decent return would be the Texas Rangers. Arroyo for Saltalamacchia and a couple PTBNL sounds fair enough.

3. Now that we have our catcher, we need a 2B with Phillips moving to SS. A guy who is on the block is Dan Uggla. I could see a trade of Jared Burton, Matt Maloney, Chris Valaika and a PTBNL for Uggla working out well for both teams.

4. Sign some quality free agents without spending entirely too much money. IMO we would need 2 SP and a RP to be contenders. My picks are: Brandon Webb and Jon Garland. Webb is coming off an injury and will cheap to come by and Garland who has had a down year will be a quality arm for cheap as well. The reliever we need to add is Joaquin Benoit. I think Webb will garner maybe 5-6 mil a year and Garland possibly 7 with Benoit making about 5 mil a year as well.

Lineup:
    1. CF Drew Stubbs
    2. 2B Dan Uggla
    3. 1B Joey Votto
    4. SS Brandon Phillips
    5. 3B Scott Rolen
    6. RF Jay Bruce
    7. LF Johnny Gomes/Juan Francisco (platoon)
    8. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
    9. P

Rotation:
    1. Johnny Cueto
    2. Homer Bailey
    3. Brandon Webb
    4. Aaron Harang
    5. Jon Garland

Bullpen:
    Danny Herrera
    Arthur Rhodes
    Pedro Viola
    Micah Owings
    Joaquin Benoit
    Nick Masset
    Francisco Cordero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do in the Offseason?

Trade Juan Francisco, Micah Owings, and Matt Moloney for Francisco Lariano and Carlos Gomez

Trade Bronson Arroyo for Stephen Drew

Sign John Maine (if mets cut him loose)

Line Up
    1. Carlos Gomez CF
    2. Stephen Drew SS
    3. Joey Votto 1B
    4. Brandon Phillips 2B
    5. Scott Rolen 3B
    6. Jay Bruce RF
    7. Drew Stubbs LF
    8. Ramon Hernandez C

Rotation
    1. Johnny Cueto
    2. Homer Bailey
    3. Aaron Harang
    4. Francisco Liriano
    5. John Maine

Without say we know the Reds will spend as little money as possible. There's no way the Reds pursue Type "A" Free Agents. So I was looking at some other Type "B". Here are a few names that I like and what I might do if I were GM.
    Reds Needs: Catcher, SS/2B, LF, SP

Rod Barajas
    Erik Bedard
    Mike Cameron
    Justin Duchscherer
    Scott Eyre
    Chone Figgins
    Jon Garland*
    Rich Harden
    Bob Howry
    Aubrey Huff
    Brandon Lyon
    Xavier Nady
    Gary Sheffield
    Brandon Webb*

The one player that intrigues me the most is Webb. Not to sure what the D-Backs plans are, but if the let him get away I hope the Reds make him there #1 target. My other top 3 targets would be Barajas, Bedard, Figgins and Nady. I believe the Reds liked what they seen late in the year with Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto and even Harang. If the Reds add Webb what does that mean if Edison is healthy and dominating AAA hitters in July?? That's when a trade might be likely.

As long as Nady is healthy he is my favorite low cost acqusition. He can play there all 3 OF positions. Hit for average, decent power and play defense.

I hold off trading away Alonso and Juan Francisco. After next year Rolen might leave. I like the idea of Juan playing in AAA all year once Rolen goes down with an injury (we know it will happen) Juan steps in and the Reds gain power in the lineup. Alonso needs to play a whole year before his future is decided.

As much as I would like to see the Reds get Figgins, at this point I have way to much money being spent as it is. So Frazier is my choice with an open minded Phillips willing to make the change to SS. All that needs to be done is Jocketty to tell Dusty it's not his decision.

Lineup:
    CF - Stubbs
    SS - Phillips
    LF - Nady
    1B - Votto
    3B - Rolen
    RF - Bruce
    2B - Frazier
    C - Hanigan

SP
    Webb
    Arroyo
    Harang
    Cueto
    Bailey

RP
    Burton
    Masset
    Rhodes
    Viola
    Fisher
    Herrera
    Cordero

Bench
    Janish
    Rosales
    Taveras
    Nix
    Owings (RP)

Trade Juan Francisco, Micah Owings, and Matt Moloney for Francisco Lariano and Carlos Gomez
    Carlos Gomez? Carlos Gomez?!
    The guy with the .246/.292./346 lifetime stats? The guy who regressed from an already pathetic line in '08 to .229/.287/.337 this year? Why not just keep the potential 40 homerun threat and let our homegrown centerfielder have a full season?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

The problem with these threads; and why I stopped making lineup projections and moves that I want to see, is that I feel like its a waste of breath because the organization seemingly NEVER does what I'd like to see. From free agent acquisitions (although I liked the Art Rhodes signing) to the lineup..... it's never going to be the way I want or what makes sense.

Taveras and Janish will probably be there and in the 1-2 hole next year, and Bruce will be in the 6 hole protecting Gomes or some fill in left fielder. They'll trot Arroyo and Harang out there 1-2 instead of Cueto/Bailey like they should. It's the Reds.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

F.O. already came out and said they dont vision being active on the free agent market this off season, dont see spending money to be a competive team.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

The Dead Red Bounce.

Hope springs eternal.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Is it sad that as I watch the postseason; I can't wait for game #1 of our regular season 2010? sad.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

"What to do in the off-season", you ask?

Pray "something happens" that causes Dusty Baker to no longer be a member of the Cincinnati Reds Ballclub.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Is it sad that as I watch the postseason; I can't wait for game #1 of our regular season 2010? sad.
    Everything was so positive and upward from the day Castellini took over until the day Dusty Baker was hired. It's been bad ever since. There's been no progress since that day.

Trade Juan Francisco + Pedro Viola + Chris Valaika for Reid Brignac
    Trade Francisco Cordero for Milton Bradley
    Trade Micah Owings + Chris Heinsey for Jarold Stalmachia

1. CF Drew Stubbs
    2. 2B Brandon Phillips
    3. 1B Joey Votto
    4. LF Milton Bradley
    5. 3B Scott Rolen
    6. RF Jay Bruce
    7. SS Reid Brignac
    8. C Jarold Stalmachia

Starters
    Johny Cueto
    Homer Bailey
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Travis Wood/Matt Moloney

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Trade Juan Francisco + Pedro Viola + Chris Valaika for Reid Brignac
    Trade Francisco Cordero for Milton Bradley
    Trade Micah Owings + Chris Heinsey for Jarold Stalmachia

1. CF Drew Stubbs
    2. 2B Brandon Phillips
    3. 1B Joey Votto
    4. LF Milton Bradley
    5. 3B Scott Rolen
    6. RF Jay Bruce
    7. SS Reid Brignac
    8. C Jarold Stalmachia

Starters
    Johny Cueto
    Homer Bailey
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Travis Wood/Matt Moloney
    OMG, HUGE he__ no to Bradley, I dont want him anywhere near this team, walking timebomb.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    OMG, HUGE he__ no to Bradley, I dont want him anywhere near this team, walking timebomb.
    Well Im Just Bored, i was thinking if Dusty was still here he could Control Him a little Bit, just like Texas Did, and he could improve our line up if he returns to his All Star Form

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    Well Im Just Bored, i was thinking if Dusty was still here he could Control Him a little Bit, just like Texas Did, and he could improve our line up if he returns to his All Star Form
    I doubt anyone will ever be able to control that guy ever again. Dusty would just try and be his buddy and that would end badly.

The Reds aren't going to spend much at all this off season, so I think the best that we can hope for is a trade for a young up-and-coming SS (like Brignac or Brandon Wood). I'd also like to see the Reds sign Kelly Shoppach if he's non-tendered to help solidify the catching situation.

As far as the OF goes, I'm actually okay with standing pat. I'd like to see Heisey and Dickerson split time in LF with Heisey assuming a more prominent role in the platoon if he shows that he's the real deal as the season progresses. Stubbs and Bruce would fill out the outfield with Balentien remaining on as the fifth OF. Taveras should be released, and Frazier can marinate in AAA until he's needed.

Turn Off Ads?