Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blogger on Marty's game-calling: That poor (expletive) has simply lost it

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Blogger on Marty's game-calling: That poor (expletive) has simply lost it

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The thing is the people who can't stand to listen to Marty anymore (I'm one) aren't asking for anything unreasonable. We don't want Marty to be someone else (i.e. people who complain because Dunn isn't Pujols). All we want is the Marty we got accustomed to hearing in his first 20 years. That's it. We don't want anything more than that. Just be the guy he was for the majority of his career. He was as good as just about anyone (sorry, he's no Scully or Harwell). That's not too much to ask. It's not like it's just blind hatred. I used to love Marty and listened to him almost every night. I miss that guy and wish he'd come back. Because the guy in the booth right now is too insufferable for me to listen to.
    I agree. This perfectly summarizes my feelings as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I agree. This perfectly summarizes my feelings as well.
    Me too. I think its fair to say the Marty of old was a pleasure to listen to on a summer night. But those were the days when Marty spent the majority of his efforts painting a verbal picture of the play on the field. Today's Marty does very little painting and quite a bit of expressing his philosophy on the subject matter. When I want to experience an artist's masterpiece, I want to see him create magic through his medium. Unfortunately, listening to Marty is like going to view the artist's masterpiece and instead hearing him expound ad nauseam about what he doesn't like about the subject matter.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I disgaree with that statement my friend. I quit reading the game threads period because they often times turned into all out personal attacks. Maybe it was only 2 or 3 people every night, but it seemed to me to be 2 or 3 DIFFERENT people every night. Emotions run high, people get upset with losing, it happens to Marty, it happens to us.
    We are basically agreeing on the gamethread.. there was 2-3 people that would cause a problem out of the relatively many participants..

I disagree about Marty. Tonight, I left the radio on a little bit after the game.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard Marty announcing tommorrow's pitching matchups, he sarcastically said "And for the Reds: Obviously the best pitcher in ML baseball history, Aaron Harang, with a 1-4 record"

That is not called for at all :thumbdown

In all seriousness, it seemed Marty got excited when the Cubs threatened tonight. It was almost as if he wanted them to lose.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Why is there a difference? The play of this team is horrendous whether you're watching it in the booth or on a message board. But because he's in that booth he is somehow suppose to overlook or "soft soap" what he is observing, and what an overwhelming majority of the fans have been saying for years?
    Marty handled the losing 80's teams (that were far worse) with class.
    Joe always handled losing seasons with class.

There's a difference between pointing out the teams weaknesses and constantly railing on them.

And yes, if I was on the radio, I'd tone down my criticisms.. there is a big difference. Marty is a professional. I'm just some anonymous fan on a message board. What I say means nothing..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard Marty announcing tommorrow's pitching matchups, he sarcastically said "And for the Reds: Obviously the best pitcher in ML baseball history, Aaron Harang, with a 1-4 record"
    No. What he said was "The best pitcher in MLB history with a 1-4 record, Aaron Harang." He meant that Harang's a much better pitcher than those that typically have a Won/Loss record of 1-4, and he should have a better record this year.

In all seriousness, it seemed Marty got excited when the Cubs threatened tonight. It was almost as if he wanted them to lose.
    I can't really argue definitively about a subjective matter like perceived intent or tone, so I'm going to say I couldn't disagree more, and leave it at that.
    Last edited by Screwball; 05-05-2008 at 11:58 PM.

This is the most ridiculous thread of the year...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I certainly think Marty has been a little too bitter at times but give me his style over Grande/Welsh any day. I was watching the game with my girlfriend last week and she asked me "How come those announcers keep making so many excuses?" I just shook my head and laughed. I can usually only tolerate the Grande/Welsh excuse for every Reds mistake style for about a half game before I just have to go do something else or turn down the volume.

Now Marty has certainly gone off and acted above people before, but his bitterness towards the way the Reds are playing is certainly much closer to how I've been feeling about the Reds. I love turning to my dad or a friend when we're at a game and someone messes up big time and saying "Man, I wish I could hear what Marty is saying right now." The guy isn't afraid to go off on someone when they do something dumb and in today's overly nice culture it's refreshing. And the Reds have certainly been painful to watch. If I were on air being forced to watch and describe every game I probably would have been kicked off the air by now for using too many 4 letter words.

Haunted by walks

I like Marty more with Thom around. He seems to be a good influence. I wished Marty and Joe did more innings together toward the end.

Marty used to get on my nerves, but I think his negative bursts are more about the situation now rather than a grudge that carries on beyond all reason, like it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    I certainly think Marty has been a little too bitter at times but give me his style over Grande/Welsh any day.
    Will someone please, PLEASE tell me what it is Marty Brenneman has to be "bitter" about? He has been recognized as a Hall of Famer. The Reds have gone out and hired his son to work with him. They've also gotten a partner in Jeff Brantley who he seems to have a terrific rapport with. Marty gets nothing but praise and respect all around baseball. He is not, nor has he ever been a bitter man. Is he outraged at the downward path of the club? Yes. So am I. "Bitter" is another instance of Redszone grabbing on to a word because it sounds small or degrading--like "scrappy." It is a classic instance of demagoguery. It needs to just stop--if you disagree with Marty, say so, and say why. He'd afford you that respect. Cut the the diminutive "gotcha" language and grow up.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The thing is the people who can't stand to listen to Marty anymore (I'm one) aren't asking for anything unreasonable. We don't want Marty to be someone else (i.e. people who complain because Dunn isn't Pujols). All we want is the Marty we got accustomed to hearing in his first 20 years. That's it. We don't want anything more than that. Just be the guy he was for the majority of his career. He was as good as just about anyone (sorry, he's no Scully or Harwell). That's not too much to ask. It's not like it's just blind hatred. I used to love Marty and listened to him almost every night. I miss that guy and wish he'd come back. Because the guy in the booth right now is too insufferable for me to listen to.
    This is exactly how I feel.

If I am in the car during a game I will turn on the radio to listen to the game. If Marty is calling that inning I just turn the radio off. It is that simple.

He is so annoying that I would rather miss the game than suffer through his ignorant diatribes.

I am sure there are many thousands of other people that feel the same way. Marty is reducing the team's fan base with his childish tantrums. He is hurting the team.

If I were Castellini I would tell him to go back and listen to some games from the 80's when the Reds sucked. He needs to remember how he and Joe made the game fun and enjoyable. If he can't recapture that magic then he should call it a career, go home and stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    This is the most ridiculous thread of the year...
    Not even close.
    Go Gators!

Haunted by walks

I also think it's interesting how conservative Cincinnati of all places got such a firebrand of an announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    No. What he said was "The best pitcher in MLB history with a 1-4 record, Aaron Harang." He meant that Harang's a much better pitcher than those that typically have a Won/Loss record of 1-4, and he should have a better record this year.
    Maybe that's what he meant, but it sure didn't come across that way.
    It came across as pretty sarcastic. Why wouldn't he just say "Aaron Harang, who has pitched much better than his 1-4 record indicates".

And I'm 100% sure he said it the way I typed it..Not the way you typed it (which has a different meaning)..

Unless he corrected himself afterwards. Maybe he realized how bad it sounded... I was walking in and out of the room, so maybe he corrected himself.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I also think it's interesting how conservative Cincinnati of all places got such a firebrand of an announcer.

He was there before anyone else got there as he likes to remind all the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You have actually read Redzone before right? Read a game thread? This place has had major reoginzations of the forum and complete shut-down of the game thread because people can't act like adults.

But somehow on air they'd be pros? Please. What a complete load of horsecrap.

As if Marty trying to downplay the horrific level of play the Reds have produced thus far would somehow trick the fans into thinking they were watching good baseball. Funny how the boo's at the stadium are everybit as loud and bitter as Marty's comments after a particularly boneheaded play. It's almost as if the fans are smart enough to figure out the Reds stink all by themselves and woln't be fooled by a white-wash.

I'm just going to back out of this now, however, as I know most of RZ is anti-Marty. People with strong opinions hate others with strong opions. Once this thread has run it's corse it will be time for (1) Dunn strikes out too much (2) Dusty's line up stinks and (3) stats vs scouts threads. It's as predictable as the tide and taxes here in the land of "higher level" discussion.
    People think of hell in terms of fire and brimstone. The reality is that hell is likely more akin to having to moderate what would have been game threads during the last 5 game losing streak.......

Reds fans seem to feed on their own and then turn on each other once the players' bones have been picked clean. I get it because of all of the losing and really a short supply of hope but I guess I don't get it. Maybe the BRM ruined baseball for this town in some respect.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?