3 4.05%
  • Alex Wimmers

16 21.62%
  • Other

2 2.70%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is your pick?

Who is your pick?

Figured we always here how someone preferred someone else a year or 2 after the draft, let's put it in writing shall we. I know LoganBuck has a similiar thread going so I am adding a poll just to more easily view the consensus. Who is your #1 guy, assuming of course the usual suspects don't drop down to us at #12 i.e. Harper, Tallion, Machado, Pomeranz, C. Sale (and a couple others really) seem to be locks to go well before us along with Grandal who now seems destined for KC (thank goodness). But if you think any of those will drop to us and would be our best choice feel free to write them in and vote other.

**POLL WILL CLOSE IN 24 Hours**

Also if there is a guy you want no part of please let it be known, this should be fun to look at in 3 years. Mine was Yasmani Grandal, though I wouldn't have hated it I felt he was at the very least a guy who wasn't gonna have the defensive chops to be worthy of this high a pick. Johnny Estrada seems like a good comp to me.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-07-2010 at 06:29 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is your pick?

Just reading between the lines with all the different comments coming out of the Reds office, and I really think signability is a bigger driver this year than other years...and for that reason, I think it's Wimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Just reading between the lines with all the different comments coming out of the Reds office, and I really think signability is a bigger driver this year than other years...and for that reason, I think it's Wimmers.
    I agree he or Colon seems most likely IMO. Is that who you want though?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I want Brentz. I think hes one of the better hitters in the draft, and I think he turns into a good OFer in the mold of a Nick Markakis, or Brad Hawpe. Basically I see him as a very safe limited downside player.

My pick: Austin Wilson

Its a weak draft and he has far and away the best upside of any player that would fall to us. Plus with no immediate need of an OF they can afford to take a HS player and wait for them to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post

Its a weak draft and he has far and away the best upside of any player that would fall to us. Plus with no immediate need of an OF they can afford to take a HS player and wait for them to develop.
    I like this logic. The problem is that Wilson has reportedly very high demands, and I'm not sure if the Reds have the budget for that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post

Sure but wouldn't you like to see someone closer to the majors? I'd rather get someone to add to the lineup to play along side Bruce than get his replacement.

Bryce Brentz is my pick, though I don't believe the Reds will choose him.

I think, in a weak draft, you either go big tools or past production and hope the tools are there.

IMO, Brentz has most of the major tools needed to be a solid regular to All Star level bat at the major league level.

A quick, compact stroke that displays very, very good power, a cannon for an arm, and decent wheels (that don't project to get old too fast) are all great. His BB rate is a little too low, but most of that can be explained away as facing lower level competition and the desire to win the game with every at-bat. (Best player syndrome)

His ceiling is Moises Alou territory, IMO, and his likely resting place is Paul O'Neill (though, depending on his team, without the monster 170+ OPS+ season in 1994).

I haven't followed the draft as closely this year as I did in years past, but if it is as "weak" as some have said, I would pick Ranaudo if his arm checked out and was signable. Two big ifs, but could provide moster value.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Bryce Brentz is my pick, though I don't believe the Reds will choose him.

I think, in a weak draft, you either go big tools or past production and hope the tools are there.

IMO, Brentz has most of the major tools needed to be a solid regular to All Star level bat at the major league level.

A quick, compact stroke that displays very, very good power, a cannon for an arm, and decent wheels (that don't project to get old too fast) are all great. His BB rate is a little too low, but most of that can be explained away as facing lower level competition and the desire to win the game with every at-bat. (Best player syndrome)

His ceiling is Moises Alou territory, IMO, and his likely resting place is Paul O'Neill (though, depending on his team, without the monster 170+ OPS+ season in 1994).
    I worry about that logic. When you are that much better than anyone on your team (or in your league for that matter) teams should be pitching around you all the time. If you still have a low BB rate, that is a bit alarming.

Not saying I am against Brentz, but I think the low BB rate, particularly in the league he plays in, is a red flag.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Sure but wouldn't you like to see someone closer to the majors? I'd rather get someone to add to the lineup to play along side Bruce than get his replacement.
    I'd rather the Reds take the right player, not the guy who may help soonest.

My top three in no order:

1. Bryce Brentz
    2. Nick Castellanos
    3. Chris Sale

I can't remember a year where Redszoners were so all over the map on who to draft. The only consensus on any player seems to be that no one wants Gary Brown, and we don't really want Brett Eibner or Kolbrin Vitek either.

On everybody else (Wimmers, McGuire, Grandal, Colon, Brentz, Choice, the Sales, Whitson, Wilson) there seems to be very little consensus.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'd rather the Reds take the right player, not the guy who may help soonest.
    There are no guarantees in life. I'd weed out projects and look towards more polished guys who project to get to Cincy sooner rather than later.

And, to be honest, the right player is probably the one who will positively contribute to the major league team soon. This team is looking good in the near term and could use guys to supplement the current roster.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    There are no guarantees in life. I'd weed out projects and look towards more polished guys who project to get to Cincy sooner rather than later.

And, to be honest, the right player is probably the one who will positively contribute to the major league team soon. This team is looking good in the near term and could use guys to supplement the current roster.
    Exactly.... there are no guarantees in life. It is why you take the player that your scouts tell you will be the best, even if it takes him longer.

Turn Off Ads?