Re: 2012 Bats Look Totally Different

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Where did Rick Sweet go again? Thanks
    He's the Reds' catching coordinator.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He's the Reds' catching coordinator.
    Wow....from manager to that? I think he would be a good manager myself.

You are pretty well versed on Reds system....what do you think of the 2 recent trades?

Thank You

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Wow....from manager to that? I think he would be a good manager myself.

You are pretty well versed on Reds system....what do you think of the 2 recent trades?

Thank You
    I like the Latos deal more. At first, I didn't like the deal because of including Boxberger but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. The Reds gave up three players (Volquez, Grandal, Alonso) who were inevitably going to get traded. All three were blocked on the depth chart. Yonder might have started off next season as the starting left fielder, but he's just brutal there. You guy a guy in Latos who is still cheap as he's not eligible for arbitration yet. If they went out and got another guy (Gio Gonzalez, James Shields, ect) it would have cost way more than Latos.
    As for the Marshall deal, I don't know. I think we can all agree we vastly overpaid for this one. I understand giving up Wood and possibly even Sappelt, but including Torreyes, to me, was a big blow. Then again he has only played in Low-A and the Reds still have a ton of infield depth in Didi Gregorious and Henry Rodriguez.

I like the Latos deal more. At first, I didn't like the deal because of including Boxberger but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. The Reds gave up three players (Volquez, Grandal, Alonso) who were inevitably going to get traded. All three were blocked on the depth chart. Yonder might have started off next season as the starting left fielder, but he's just brutal there. You guy a guy in Latos who is still cheap as he's not eligible for arbitration yet. If they went out and got another guy (Gio Gonzalez, James Shields, ect) it would have cost way more than Latos.
    As for the Marshall deal, I don't know. I think we can all agree we vastly overpaid for this one. I understand giving up Wood and possibly even Sappelt, but including Torreyes, to me, was a big blow. Then again he has only played in Low-A and the Reds still have a ton of infield depth in Didi Gregorious and Henry Rodriguez.

Now let's hope this coaching staff can get Latos going in the right direction.

Always tough to trade prospects you like but it had to be done eventually.
    I wished Brox and Torreyes would have been kept out of it but what can you do.

Relievers
    Carlos Fisher—Reliever
    Andrew Brackman—Reliever
    Nick Christiani—Reliever
    Jeremy Horst—Reliever
    Kyle McCulloch—Starter/ Long man
    Jordan Smith—Middle reliever
    Kanekoa Texeira—Reliever
    Comment: The strength of the team here. All have enough interesting tidbits to be considered as major league guys, but only Brackman looks like a difference-maker in that area. And that only if he can throw strikes. A nice mix of stuff, arm slots, and angles.
    Starters
    Aroldis Chapman—Starter
    Chad Reinke—Starter
    Matt Klinker—Starter
    Luis Atilano—Starter
    Scott Carroll—Starter
    Comment: Chapman’s the main focus here. Everyone else is basically chaff, though I like Carroll’s stuff and Atilano’s history looks intriguing. Klinker may surprise. A solid staff for AAA.
    C Corky Miller
    C Brian Esposito
    Comment: Meh. At least they’ll be coaches on the field. Nice to have them with the young staff at Slugger Field.
    Infield
    SS Jose Castro
    3B Mike Costanzo
    MI Kris Negron
    1B Neftali Soto
    2B Chris Valaika
    Comment: This infield has all the makings of an interesting AAAA infield. Castro and Negron can play great defense. Soto can hit. Costanzo hit last season in Bakersfield and Chattanooga. Valaika has hit one or twice in his career. Only Soto, however, looks like a legitimate prospect for Cincinnati.
    OF
    OF/1B/DH Danny Dorn
    OF Daryl Jones
    RF/CF Denis Phipps
    2B/LF Cody Puckett
    LF Bill Rhinehart
    Comment: A good outfield for AAA, with upside in Phipps, power in Puckett’s bat and Rhinehart’s as well. Dorn plays versus RH and gives a blow to Soto. Puckett plays some 2B, especially when Valaika moves around the IF, at 3B or SS to rest those guys. Phipps and Puckett look like interesting bats for the major league level, but Rhinehart might help more.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Relievers
    Carlos Fisher—Reliever
    Andrew Brackman—Reliever
    Nick Christiani—Reliever
    Jeremy Horst—Reliever
    Kyle McCulloch—Starter/ Long man
    Jordan Smith—Middle reliever
    Kanekoa Texeira—Reliever
    Comment: The strength of the team here. All have enough interesting tidbits to be considered as major league guys, but only Brackman looks like a difference-maker in that area. And that only if he can throw strikes. A nice mix of stuff, arm slots, and angles.
    Starters
    Aroldis Chapman—Starter
    Chad Reinke—Starter
    Matt Klinker—Starter
    Luis Atilano—Starter
    Scott Carroll—Starter
    Comment: Chapman’s the main focus here. Everyone else is basically chaff, though I like Carroll’s stuff and Atilano’s history looks intriguing. Klinker may surprise. A solid staff for AAA.
    C Corky Miller
    C Brian Esposito
    Comment: Meh. At least they’ll be coaches on the field. Nice to have them with the young staff at Slugger Field.
    Infield
    SS Jose Castro
    3B Mike Costanzo
    MI Kris Negron
    1B Neftali Soto
    2B Chris Valaika
    Comment: This infield has all the makings of an interesting AAAA infield. Castro and Negron can play great defense. Soto can hit. Costanzo hit last season in Bakersfield and Chattanooga. Valaika has hit one or twice in his career. Only Soto, however, looks like a legitimate prospect for Cincinnati.
    OF
    OF/1B/DH Danny Dorn
    OF Daryl Jones
    RF/CF Denis Phipps
    2B/LF Cody Puckett
    LF Bill Rhinehart
    Comment: A good outfield for AAA, with upside in Phipps, power in Puckett’s bat and Rhinehart’s as well. Dorn plays versus RH and gives a blow to Soto. Puckett plays some 2B, especially when Valaika moves around the IF, at 3B or SS to rest those guys. Phipps and Puckett look like interesting bats for the major league level, but Rhinehart might help more.
    He didn't play in Bakersfield at all. And Chattanooga, uh....

He didn't play in Bakersfield at all. And Chattanooga, uh....
    May have been thinking about Eric Campbell

-The Insider-

Yeah, maybe so. Didn't think about that. Nevertheless he's with Seattle. (And I wasn't trying to be mean in my response to him. Just giving him a hard time, not ill intended at all.)

josh judy travis mattair

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    josh judy travis mattair
    Clayton Tanner, Brandon Hynick, Travis Webb, Joseph Krebs, Sean Gallagher, Miguel Rojas, Felix Perez??

Some guys will probably be getting released. Especially among the pitchers. If Hotchkiss and Fairel are healthy to go with Villareal, Sulbaran, Crabbe and Ravin, there won't be room to push them back to AA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Costanzo hit between Louisville and Chattanooga. That's what I meant. He's not great, but he's what they have.

Judy, IMO, is in Cincinnati.

The others will be released or sent back to AA. (The only logjam the Reds have is in the middle infield, and, with the deal of Torreyes and the injury of Rodriguez, that's not as binding as it once was.)

That's my opinion, anyway. If you think you can do better, by all means, do it to it.

Here's my shot. I think Chapman will end up in the bullpen and eventually settle in as the closer.

Rotation
    Reineke
    Atilano
    Tanner
    Carroll
    Gallagher

Bullpen
    Judy
    Brackman
    Christiani
    Klinker
    Horst
    Webb
    Texiera

Dealt for PTBNL or released: Fisher, Smith, Krebs, Hynick, McCulloch

C - Miller
    C - Esposito
    1B - Soto
    2B - Valaika
    SS - Negron
    3B - Costanzo
    IF - Rojas
    LF - Rhinehart
    CF - Jones
    RF - Phipps
    DH - Dorn
    OF - F. Perez

Castro, Mattair and Puckett to AA
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Costanzo hit between Louisville and Chattanooga. That's what I meant. He's not great, but he's what they have.

Judy, IMO, is in Cincinnati.

The others will be released or sent back to AA. (The only logjam the Reds have is in the middle infield, and, with the deal of Torreyes and the injury of Rodriguez, that's not as binding as it once was.)

That's my opinion, anyway. If you think you can do better, by all means, do it to it.
    Still wrong lol

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Here's my shot. I think Chapman will end up in the bullpen and eventually settle in as the closer.

Rotation
    Reineke
    Atilano
    Tanner
    Carroll
    Gallagher

Bullpen
    Judy
    Brackman
    Christiani
    Klinker
    Horst
    Webb
    Texiera

Dealt for PTBNL or released: Fisher, Smith, Krebs, Hynick, McCulloch

C - Miller
    C - Esposito
    1B - Soto
    2B - Valaika
    SS - Negron
    3B - Costanzo
    IF - Rojas
    LF - Rhinehart
    CF - Jones
    RF - Phipps
    DH - Dorn
    OF - F. Perez

Castro, Mattair and Puckett to AA
    He retired in June. And no reason to send Castro back to Double-A. He'll be in Louisville.

Still wrong lol
    Hey, they both start with C. I had to chuckle as well.

Turn Off Ads?