Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

My wish-list, of guys I expect could be there, in order:

Richardson (I'm dreaming of him falling; won't happen)
    DeCastro
    Gilmore
    Barron
    Kirkpatrick
    Glenn
    Martin
    Hill
    Miller
    Wright
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

C Trent's column this week in City Beat viz the Bengals draft

http://citybeat.com/cincinnati/artic...und_picks.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My wish-list, of guys I expect could be there, in order:

Richardson (I'm dreaming of him falling; won't happen)
    DeCastro
    Gilmore
    Barron
    Kirkpatrick
    Glenn
    Martin
    Hill
    Miller
    Wright
    DeCastro is the one guy that I will be upset if he's there and the Bengals don't take him. The Bengals redzone TD% was around 44% last year. I'm pretty sure the league average was around 54%. The Lawfirm, a healthy Shipley and better interior line play will go a long way to getting the Bengals to league average and quite possibly above average. It is the one easily identifiable area that will directly lead to an increase in points.

And really, as long as a CB and OG are taken at some point in the first three rounds I can probably talk myself into being satisfied. It's nice to have depth and few glaring holes. Yes, there are places to upgrade, but outside of the interior line and secondary I don't think there are any other true holes.

My wish list:
    Richardson (of course virtually no chance)
    Barron
    Floyd
    DeCastro
    (gap)
    Gilmore
    Glenn
    Upshaw
    Kirkpatrick
    Brockers
    Go BLUE!!!

Barron
    Floyd
    DeCastro
    Gilmore
    Kuechly

gap

Upshaw
    Kirkpatrick
    Wright

gap

Coples
    Glenn
    Brockers
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

My wish list in order.

At #17 or sooner
    Kalil (the value would be just too good to ignore)
    Kuechly
    Barron
    Cox
    Richardson
    DeCastro
    Gilmore
    Chandler Jones
    Michael Floyd
    Claiborne

At #21 (and partially depending on who we take at #17)
    Anyone of those prior listed guys
    Dont'a Hightower
    Cordy Glenn
    LaVonte David
    Trade Down

Not enamored with but would not gripe (too much publicly anyway) about (not in any specific order):
    Coples (not sure about his mentality, seems like he has a tough time staying motivated)
    Poe (needs alot of coaching but I like his talent/motor, just not sure he has the mental ability to adapt)
    Wright (think he is intriguing just think it's a bit high for him and the fit is a little iffy)
    Kirkpatrick (could be great but just not enough info)
    Jenkins (just so ya know this is just due to the off the field risk otherwise he is top 5 for me)
    Hill (love his talent, but the value @21 IMO is debatable)
    Harrison Smith (same reasoning as Hill)
    Shea McClellin (like him quite a bit but again just not quite this high)
    Blackmon (good player just average speed/size makes me feel he will underachieve the perception of a top 5 type talent)

Do not want either because I don't see the fit or just think they will bust/greatly underachieve:
    Ingram (don't completely doubt his ability, just doesn't fit IMO)
    Upshaw (under talented for the mid 1st round IMO)
    Brockers (to me just says bust waiting to happen, dedication?)
    Nick Perry (another underachiever/bust I think)
    Fleener (I just don't want a TE in the 1st unless he is already good all around)

Kuechly & Barron would be a dream scenario, I'd forgo the need of an OG for that duo. But if I could get just one of those guys (Kuechly is probably out of reach) I'd probably prefer Barron and DeCastro/Gilmore/Jones/Hightower at #21.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think Floyd's gonna drop to 17 and the Bengals will take him if there.

Time to pray that Gilmore falls to 21.

If that happens, watch out

I wonder if there's a chance that teams pull back a bit on Tannehill and he slides down to 17. Would a team like the Browns want to move up and take him at that point?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    DeCastro is the one guy that I will be upset if he's there and the Bengals don't take him. The Bengals redzone TD% was around 44% last year. I'm pretty sure the league average was around 54%. The Lawfirm, a healthy Shipley and better interior line play will go a long way to getting the Bengals to league average and quite possibly above average. It is the one easily identifiable area that will directly lead to an increase in points.

And really, as long as a CB and OG are taken at some point in the first three rounds I can probably talk myself into being satisfied. It's nice to have depth and few glaring holes. Yes, there are places to upgrade, but outside of the interior line and secondary I don't think there are any other true holes.
    I'm with you (obviously) on DeCastro. Was actually wondering what the O-line would be like if they could draft both DeCastro AND Glenn. Dalton could probably sit back in the pocket and read War and Peace and not be disturbed in the slightest.

The other true hole is feature back. But there is value in rounds 2-4 (Miller, Wilson, Polk, Pead (is his nickname I-Pead?)) any of which I would be fine with.

Wide receiver would get a big boost if Simpson returns. Then they could focus on depth in rounds 3-5.

Defensive line also needs to be addressed in rounds 3-6. They can afford to take a guy with a few flaws; the rotation scheme probably does a good job at hiding certain players' deficiencies.

I also wouldn't mind a project QB with one of the 5th round picks, if you can get value. Never hurts to have someone there #justincase.

This won't happen but I'm curious to know if anybody knows the rules well enough to answer...

Let's say somebody wants to move up from the 2nd round to #21 and gives the Bengals their 2nd rounder in '12 and first rounder in '13. Can the Bengals then sign Mike Wallace after the draft knowing that they'll lose their first rounder in '13 but they'll still have the unnamed trade team's first rounder?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    This won't happen but I'm curious to know if anybody knows the rules well enough to answer...

Let's say somebody wants to move up from the 2nd round to #21 and gives the Bengals their 2nd rounder in '12 and first rounder in '13. Can the Bengals then sign Mike Wallace after the draft knowing that they'll lose their first rounder in '13 but they'll still have the unnamed trade team's first rounder?
    No, I believe the deadline to sign Mike Wallace and grant compensation to the Steelers was midnight last night or Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    No, I believe the deadline to sign Mike Wallace and grant compensation to the Steelers was midnight last night or Saturday night.
    Cool. Thanks!

A couple of my "rules" for the draft:

-I don't like risers who rise because of stuff done without pads.
    -I like guys who fall because of stuff that happens without pads.
    -I don't like WR's early in the draft.
    -Value is to be had on RB's later in the draft.
    -You can never go wrong with Tackles

As for what the Bengals do I have no idea. They have beefed up their two biggest weaknesses this off season. They have added guards and CB's to the point where they don't "need" one. I think the positions of need are S, WR, and LB. Simpson isn't a #2 WR, they don't have a playmaker in the back 7 of their defense. If DeCastro isn't there and Floyd is I wouldn't have a problem with that. I wouldn't have an issue with them taking anything other than a QB. If there is a good T there I wouldn't have an issue with them making Smith a G. Two picks sure make it more interesting come Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    -I don't like WR's early in the draft.
    So you didn't like the AJ Green pick?

I'm hoping for DeCastro at 17 but feel he will be gone. Same for Luke Kuechly. Others I like in the first: Gilmore, Barron, Hill, Kirkpatrick, Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    So you didn't like the AJ Green pick?

I'm hoping for DeCastro at 17 but feel he will be gone. Same for Luke Kuechly. Others I like in the first: Gilmore, Barron, Hill, Kirkpatrick, Glenn
    Just for kicks, I looked at top 10 picks at WR since 2000. The list is below, and where they were selected. Active players (as of the 2011 season) are in bold:

Peter Warrick (4)
    Plaxico Burress (8)
    Travis Taylor (10)
    David Terrell (8)
    Koren Robinson (9)
    Charles Rogers (2)
    Andre Johnson (3)
    Larry Fitzgerald (3)
    Roy Williams (7)
    Reggie Williams (9)
    Braylon Edwards (3)
    Troy Williamson (7)
    Mike Williams (10)
    Calvin Johnson (2)
    Ted Ginn (9)
    Darrius Heyward-Bey (7)
    Michael Crabtree (10)
    A.J. Green (4)
    Julio Jones (6)

It's an interesting list that's filled with boom or bust. Some of the best wide receivers in the NFL are on the list in Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. Arguably some of the best up and coming receivers in the NFL are also on that list in A.J. Green and Julio Jones. The list also contains some serious stinkers and a few decent journeymen. I don't know what success rates are for other positions selected within the top 10, but receiver is spotty.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?