Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey Votto Superstar?

Joey Votto Superstar?

After two more HR tonight, The People's Champion sits at .319 with 21 HR, 59 RBI, and (as of yesterday) a slash line of .412/.572/.984, which rivals his counterpart we all know from the St. Louis Cardinals.

I think we all had high hopes for Votto when he came up, and he certainly showed glimmers of this sort of domination last season, but I have to say I never expected him to be this good.

My questions for RZ are the following:

Is Joey Votto a superstar caliber player?

Can he maintain this sort of performance all year? How about for many years?

If he does do something like this, who are his recent comps? Todd Helton? Jeff Bagwell?

Discuss.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joey Votto Superstar?

I said at the end of last year he was approaching Pujols level in terms of production.

Prophet.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I said at the end of last year he was approaching Pujols level in terms of production.

Prophet.
    You say a lot of things.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Votto was an elite player before this season, having the 4th best OPS in the majors.

He's got he best OPS in the NL this year (.036 over Pujols).

It's time everyone fianlly realizes what has been apparent for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Votto was an elite player before this season, having the 4th best OPS in the majors.

He's got he best OPS in the NL this year (.036 over Pujols).

It's time everyone fianlly realizes what has been apparent for quite some time.
    Which is... that he's a superstar player?

Seriously, I know these sorts of labels aren't objectively verifiable, but I wonder at what point Votto will ascend to the pantheon of the games best players. Would he have to put up back-to-back years of this type of production?

When Votto came up, I really thought the Reds were getting a good 1B. I figured he'd be a consistent .280-.290 hitter with 30 HR and 100 RBI. Not All-World, but solid. Now, at the mid-point of 2010, he's looking like he's actually a good notch or two above what I (and many of you, I recall) thought he was. He's gone from solid starter/borderline All-Star to Pujols-challenging good.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-05-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Adrian Gonzalez and Justin Morneau seem like great comps to me.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    After two more HR tonight, The People's Champion sits at .319 with 21 HR, 59 RBI, and (as of yesterday) a slash line of .412/.572/.984, which rivals his counterpart we all know from the St. Louis Cardinals.
    Actually, after tonight, his OPS is at 1.017. Not sure what the slash line numbers are exactly, but I know he's over the elusive 1.000 OPS barrier.

I'd say he's well on his way to entering that territory... Not sure the claim can be made though until the rest of baseball realizes it... His current all-star predicament suggests that's not the case. yet.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Actually, after tonight, his OPS is at 1.017. Not sure what the slash line numbers are exactly, but I know he's over the elusive 1.000 OPS barrier.
    Right. When I posted the thread, I wasn't able to find updated stats yet. Good to see Joey over the 1.000 line.

.418/.599/1.017

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Morneau is a good comp. I wish he was a few years younger but yes he is a superstar and our superstar
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Yes.

I mean, isn't Joey Votto the NL MVP if we vote today?

-Leader in OPS
    -Leader in HR
    -Tied 4th in RBI
    -Hitting .318, 4th in league

and he even has 7 steals!

And, oh ya, the Reds are in 1st place.
    Last edited by Playadlc; 07-06-2010 at 04:10 AM.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Yes, he is what we always hoped Sean Casey would grow into.
    SuperStar!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Yes.

I mean, isn't Joey Votto the NL MVP if we vote today?

-Leader in OPS
    -Leader in HR
    -Tied 4th in RBI
    -Hitting .318, 4th in league

and he even has 7 steals!

And, oh ya, the Reds are in 1st place.
    BBTN guys said that David Wright and Adrian Gonzalez are their top candidates for NL MVP right now. Apparently they don't watch the Reds play.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Yes, he is what we always hoped Sean Casey would grow into.
    SuperStar!
    I was thinking this last night. A healthy Sean Casey is ALMOST what Joey Votto is. A healthy Sean Casey was a .950 OPS beast of a hitter.

But Votto is better defensively, and even has a little speed. You could clock Casey with a sun dial.

IMO, the only difference between Votto and Pujols, is this is year three for Votto with Pujols being just a tick better, and possibly younger at the same point. (but who really knows. I think El Duque is 54 years old and he just signed with the Nats.)

I think its a wash between them right now, Votto/Pujols. then the second tier guys: Gonzales, Fielder, Ethier.

Howard is getting exposed as a short career type. Big guy, stats trending downward.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?