Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Caveat wonders aloud to the group:

How much longer does Jay Bruce stay a Red, in AAA, with a new GM that has a past history of trading young players for established stars and a manager that has a past history (albeit showing no signs of that history at the moment) of preferring established players over young ones.
    On the good side, his trades for position players (McGwire, Renteria, Rolen, Edmonds, Walker) tended to work out much better than his trades for pitching (Mulder) -- and we're actually in pretty good shape when it comes to starting pitching.

In fact, if you set the Mulder deal to the side, he didn't really lose any of his prospect for vets deals. Yes, that one hurt, but on balance, those deals made the Cardinals the force they were -- that, Dave Duncan's magic, and Albert Pujols falling from the sky.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It reminds me of the Yanks and Billy Martin.
    Without the Championship Trophies

Caveat wonders aloud to the group:

How much longer does Jay Bruce stay a Red, in AAA, with a new GM that has a past history of trading young players for established stars and a manager that has a past history (albeit showing no signs of that history at the moment) of preferring established players over young ones.
    I'd be very surprised to see Jay Bruce traded.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Homer Bailey traded.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Or maybe Casty just got tired of his GM coming into the office and asking him to eat contracts, millions of dollars at a time, that he had signed.

Dave Ross is up next -- signed to big money and forced onto the roster -- and I'm sure the guy Krivsky asked be released was also making more than his fair share of coin.

Spare change eventually adds up, as edabbs is so famous for regularly pointing out.
    Absolutely.

The Reds have scheduled a 4:00 press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Az Red View Post
    The crux of the firing?

1. Castro being designated and eating his contract. Too many bad contracts
    2. Calling up Belisle and not Bailey.
    3. Fogg's ERA of 12.46.
    4. Left handed heavy lineup tied Baker's hands.
    5. Kriv yelled at the Jocketty for forgetting to make a new pot of coffee.

You know, we've always suspected that Castro had some very compromising pictures of both Wayne and Bowden, and that's how he kept his job.

I wonder if Castro showed the dirt to Cast after he was released. It wouldn't surprise me to see Castro carry out his threat.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

What the heck?!? I'm shocked....
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Jocketty has not been afraid to bring up players the way Kriv was. He's even brought players directly from AA to the bigs. Might we see Daryl Thompson at #5?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Jocketty has not been afraid to bring up players the way Kriv was. He's even brought players directly from AA to the bigs. Might we see Daryl Thompson at #5?
    I think that is a bit of a stretch.

But I wouldn't be shocked at Bruce coming up very soon to kind of stamp the new regime.

Maybe we'll see Bruce starting in Center tonight!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Reds name Walt Jocketty President of baseball operations and general manger

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini today announced that special advisor Walt Jocketty has been named President of Baseball Operations and General Manager.

Jocketty replaces Wayne Krivsky as general manager.

Jocketty was hired January 11 as special advisor to advise and assist Castellini in every facet of baseball operations, including matters related to the front office, Major League field and support personnel, scouting and minor league and international operations along with training and medical services.

A 33-year veteran of professional baseball, including the previous 13 with St. Louis as general manager, Jocketty's Cardinals teams went to the playoffs seven times. He won the National League Central Division six times and the 2001 NL Wild Card while earning two National League championships and the 2006 World Series title. The Cardinals have produced winning seasons in seven of the last eight years.

While general manager in St. Louis, Jocketty was named Major League Baseball's Executive of the Year by The Sporting News in 2000 and 2004 and by Baseball America in 2000. In 2004, he also received the Rube Foster Legacy Award from the Negro Hall of Fame as National League Executive of the Year.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Homer Bailey traded.
    or in the starting rotation in the near future. I am not a Belisle fan. His track record through the minors and in the majors has been that he is quite hittable.

I would expect to see some moves in the near future to clean up the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    21 games in?

There's clearly something behind the scenes.

Reminds me of firing Tony Perez 44 games into 1993.

It does. The way I always figured it was that Tony was hired becausee of his ethniticity. Marge was going through some problems for what she said about blacks and this hire would show people whe wasn't a racist pig and it was a good sale to Reds Fans because of Tony's popularity.

However the man who JimBo really wanted to hire was Davey Johnson and he was there all along as a consultant. When JimBo fired Tony, Davey was right there to take over.

But I'm not sure why Bob kept Wayne around if he really wanted Jocketty.

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    I'm sick of rooting for 2 teams (Reds and Dolphins) that consistently screw up and change course almost randomly at times...here's to hoping this is not a case of that...

Painful, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm surprised this happened today. I knew it was coming, but I never thought of it happening after a nice win last night with Wayne's guy tearing it up. Wayne Krivsky appears to be a fine man and someone who is good at his job and has continued to learn as he went. He made several mistakes, but got better as time went on. He'll land on his feet and I hope he gets a job soon. If Dan O'brien can get a job, anyone can.

I'll go on record, again, saying that I am no Walt Jocketty fan and that's mostly because he came from St. Louis and I see how terrible their farm has been over the years. The Reds are not going to spend the money that the Cardinals did to get the players it took to win a championship. I think Walt will have lots of trouble turning this club into contenders anymore than Wayne could have. I hope for the best and will support Jocketty as much as possible.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Maybe we'll see Bruce starting in Center tonight!
    I sure hope.

Turn Off Ads?