Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Avengers Assemble

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Avengers Assemble

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I thought it was a very good movie, but IMO not the best of the super hero genre to come out so far. But it's up there. I still think that Batman Begins and the Dark Knight were the tops.

There are some great quotes (lines) from this movie. And I agree with Kitty that the humorous moments were very well played.
    CAUTION: NERD STUFF
    I'm a big fan of the Batman movies, but the brilliance of Avengers is that it feels more like a Marvel comic book to me than the Batman movies do. The Dark Knight is more in the vein of The Dark Knight Returns series, which to me is one of the greatest graphic novels ever written, but not so much as a classic serial comic book.

While Nolan's movies are fascinating with some of the most gut-wrenching villains around and great commentary on the hero, I think Whedon brought the fun back to comic book movies while not sacrificing character study.

Long story short, I think I actually prefer Whedon's treatment over Nolan's, but thank goodness we live in a time where we have access to both.
    Last edited by WildcatFan; 05-08-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    CAUTION: NERD STUFF
    I'm a big fan of the Batman movies, but the brilliance of Avengers is that it feels more like a Marvel comic book to me than the Batman movies do. The Dark Knight is more in the vein of The Dark Knight Returns series, which to me is one of the greatest graphic novels ever written, but not so much as a classic serial comic book.

While Nolan's movies are fascinating with some of the most gut-wrenching villains around and great commentary on the hero, I think Whedon brought the fun back to comic book movies while not sacrificing character study.

Long story short, I think I actually prefer Whedon's treatment over Nolan's, but thank goodness we live in a time where we have access to both.

I've always got the feeling that the Batman movies were a dramatic movies that happened to get it's ideas from a comic book. That isn't bad. I think they are absolutely brilliant and the Dark Knight should have been nominated for an Academy award. It never felt like a comic book movie to me though. Iron Man and other movies feel like comic book movies. I can't wait to see The Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I regard it to be very kid friendly.
    Very much so, my 4 year old had a blast!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I just got finished seeing it. Loved it. Excellent action and it was a fun movie to see. I'm not a fan of the Hulk but what they did with him made me like the character. Many funny things involving him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I've never seen it, so don't take it as an indictment on the film. Just that of his movies from the last 5-10 years, it's probably among the least well known. Or maybe I just didn't remember it.
    It's a Chris Nolan flick that made over $100M at the box office. To top it off, he stars in the film, unlike the X-Men movies when he shares the spotlight. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Loved that flick, and just loaned it to a co-worker who has never seen it. If one wants to list a Jackman stinker, then go with The Fountain. Turned if off after about 30 minutes into it.
    It's... Out there to say the least. Doesn't make it a bad movie though, IMO. Maybe just not your cup of tea?

SPOILER

Okay, not really a spoiler in terms of plot, but was that Anthony Hopkins (Odin) in the park with the Avengers at the end, just before Thor and Loki teleported away to Asgard?
    ****EDIT**** Nope, it was just Stellan Skarsgard from earlier in the movie. *disappointed*

Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

OK... saw it yesterday at the IMAX - and the 3D is much better!
    The audio was very good as well - heard the noise Loki made after his encounter w/the Hulk!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Saw it last night with the boys. We caught a late showing that started at 9:45. My youngest(7) fell asleep during all the arguing on the ship, and could not be roused. He was even snoring. Aside from that, my oldest(10) and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks go to RedsBaron for giving me the "Ok" on the kids.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    OK... saw it yesterday at the IMAX - and the 3D is much better!
    The audio was very good as well - heard the noise Loki made after his encounter w/the Hulk!
    That part was really funny! I saw it Thursday night with a friend who was going for the third time. I thought he was crazy but now that I've seen it I sorta understand where he's coming from..I really want to go see it again.

SPOILER:
    Anyone know who the purple-faced evil dude from the first post-credits scene is?
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Oh man, I think I have to accept that I just have no imagination. I went tonight to make my wife happy as she's relly into these movies. I thought it was never going to end and thought about offing myself about halfway through rather than sit through the rest.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post

SPOILER:
    Yes.

SPOILER:He is an old Marvel Comics villain named Thanos. He is an extremely powerful cosmic entity -- almost on par with Thor's father Odin. His deal is that he's in love with the personification of Death. So in the post-credits scene, when his advisor says, "To deal with them is to court death," he smiles, because that's exactly what he wants to do.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yes.

SPOILER:
    Cool. Thanks
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I hope the Avengers don't like Hotspacho.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?