Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

Thought I'd share this piece from John Erardi.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ough-decisions

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

"Its never as simple as just the K's"

That phrase should be stickied and automatically pop-up every time anyone posts. Cutting the K's is great, but if it comes at the expense of cutting some walks and extra base hits, its not worth it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The link's no good dude. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    The link's no good dude. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

You have to click on skip this ad to get to the article.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Erardi's done better. Claiming that a platoon of Lewis and Gomes is a downgrade because Gomes hits lefties better than Lewis hits righties is plain dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Erardi's done better. Claiming that a platoon of Lewis and Gomes is a downgrade because Gomes hits lefties better than Lewis hits righties is plain dumb.
    That part threw me a little as well. I read it a couple of times thinking maybe I was missing something.

Wow. I've grown to expect a lot better from Eradi. That didn't even sound like him.

I thought the defense thing about Lewis was pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    His point is that Gomes hits lefties at a higher clip than Lewis hits righties. So Gomes, who he already stated is popular and that Baker hates platoons, is going to have far better numbers than Lewis, which would then justify Gomes playing all the time (logic being Baker can say Gomes is hitting .320, Lewis is hitting .270, ergo Gomes needs more at bats).

In short, Gomes demolishing lefties in strict platoon while dwarfing Lewis' numbers versus righties could lead Baker back to Gomes full time, especially because as Erardi mentions there are twice as many at bats available for the left-handed portion of strict platoon.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    His point is that Gomes hits lefties at a higher clip than Lewis hits righties. So Gomes, who he already stated is popular and that Baker hates platoons, is going to have far better numbers than Lewis, which would then justify Gomes playing all the time (logic being Baker can say Gomes is hitting .320, Lewis is hitting .270, ergo Gomes needs more at bats).

In short, Gomes demolishing lefties in strict platoon while dwarfing Lewis' numbers versus righties could lead Baker back to Gomes full time, especially because as Erardi mentions there are twice as many at bats available for the left-handed portion of strict platoon.
    I sincerely hope that Baker doesn't think that way. But I do see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I thought the defense thing about Lewis was pretty interesting.
    Yea me too. Does anyone know what he is saying is true about Lewis? If it is then LF will be an adventure defensively again this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As excited as I was having a highish OBP guy to leadoff and play left, I keep reverting back to the fact that Fred Lewis was non-tendered.

I don't think he's going to end up being an RZ fan favorite.

I find it frustrating that he lumped in Lewis with Gomes defensively. There's being a mediocre defender. There's being a poor defender. And there's having no business out there at all.

Lewis is mediocre. Gomes is one of the worst defensive LF in baseball. It's not an insignificant difference.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Yea me too. Does anyone know what he is saying is true about Lewis? If it is then LF will be an adventure defensively again this season.
    I remember watching Lewis play LF some on TV when he was with the Giants. He is fast, but he takes some very interesting routes at times too. He's way better defensively than Gomes but he'll never be confused for a Gold Glover.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I remember watching Lewis play LF some on TV when he was with the Giants. He is fast, but he takes some very interesting routes at times too. He's way better defensively than Gomes but he'll never be confused for a Gold Glover.
    So he's an upgrade over Gomes defensively. And he hits RHP better than Gomes. Not sure why this would be all that difficult, at least to start the year anyway. Give Gomes some starts against RHP on occasion so he's not sitting for extended periods waiting for a LH starter.

Turn Off Ads?