Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AL evaluator critique of the Reds

AL evaluator critique of the Reds

In Buster Olney's column this morning, and unknown AL evaluator had this to say about the Reds: "I don't necessarily drink the Reds Kool-Aid. They are losing the Astros from their schedule." He notes that although the Reds won 97 games, there were seven teams with a better run differential than the Reds last year.

I mean... what? That's your reasoning? They lose the Astros from their schedule? There are some really, really stupid people in the game of baseball that have really, really important jobs. Kind of scary if you ask me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AL evaluator critique of the Reds

I think it is valid to note they won't be playing 18 games versus the Astros. Their run differential last season had them as a 91 win team, so there is some evidence to suggest they were a bit lucky last year.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I think it is valid to note they won't be playing 18 games versus the Astros. Their run differential last season had them as a 91 win team, so there is some evidence to suggest they were a bit lucky last year.
    However, they were 10-5 against the Astros. They didn't own them anymore than you'd expect to own a bad team. I'm not saying it won't play a factor in their win total, maybe a few games, but you don't buy into them for that reason? That's the only reason you give? Just silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    However, they were 10-5 against the Astros. They didn't own them anymore than you'd expect to own a bad team. I'm not saying it won't play a factor in their win total, maybe a few games, but you don't buy into them for that reason? That's the only reason you give? Just silly to me.
    Not only that, the Reds added a leadoff man who has been a six win player in the past. That is a pretty substantial upgrade. Basing predictions solely on the Astros is silly.

Is the unknown evaluator from the Astros? Twins? Seattle? Anytime someone doesn't have the guts to attach their name to something, hard to give it credence.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Exactly, I read the article yesterday and I was thinking the same thing. The Reds were 87-60 versus everyone else.

I think it is valid to note they won't be playing 18 games versus the Astros.
    Why?

Everyone else in the division got to play them 18 times too. In terms of winning the Central, losing the Astros has no impact whatsoever. It might have some impact on the wild card spots, but if the Reds take care of business in the division it won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Why?

Everyone else in the division got to play them 18 times too. In terms of winning the Central, losing the Astros has no impact whatsoever. It might have some impact on the wild card spots, but if the Reds take care of business in the division it won't matter.
    Exactly. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up as if we were the only team that played the Astros last year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Is the unknown evaluator from the Astros? Twins? Seattle? Anytime someone doesn't have the guts to attach their name to something, hard to give it credence.
    Like it or not, there it's a reason names are never attached to these kinds of things. So you can never really take anything they say seriously, or just look at it and decide if there is something there or not.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

FWIW, we do still play the Astros this coming season. 3 times late in the year.

Are the Cardinals not playing the Astros 18 times either?
    Where we gonna go?

AL evaluator can suck it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

It's not that I agree with the guy. I was just saying I could see where it could be argued the Reds weren't really as good as there win total. My personal opinion is this team is about a 94 win team for 2013.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Like it or not, the Reds played in a division with two of the worst teams in baseball last year, the Astros and Cubs, and beat them handily. The Reds were still the best team in the Central in the regular season. But all the many games against the Stros and Cubs obviously helped them amass 97 wins.

I still think the Reds should win the division in 2013 but with the Astros out of the division, and if the Cubs improve, I think the Reds will have quite a bit more difficulty winning as many games as last season.

vs Cubs/Astros in '12

Reds 22-9
    Cards 21-11
    Brewers 22-12
    Pirates 20-13

Not seeing the Reds huge advantage. It's the Brewers fault they only went 9-8 against the 'Stros!

Turn Off Ads?