Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: School and Adult Reading Survey

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: School and Adult Reading Survey

Done. Why isn't "Redszone" listed as a genre?
    Stick to your guns.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (10-29-2016),RiverRat13 (10-30-2016),TRF (11-01-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

On thing that made the survey hard to answer is that it didn't contain any references to the home. I don't fault the survey, because I don't know what the objective is. But personally, my parents and grandmother stressed reading all the time (Grandma gave me a ton of James Oliver Curwood books when I was 8), and I can say the school had little influence.

5. Likes:

KittyDuran (10-30-2016),marcshoe (10-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    On thing that made the survey hard to answer is that it didn't contain any references to the home. I don't fault the survey, because I don't know what the objective is. But personally, my parents and grandmother stressed reading all the time (Grandma gave me a ton of James Oliver Curwood books when I was 8), and I can say the school had little influence.
    Yeah, that was one of the things I hated to cut. The professor I'm working with suggested some narrowing, and that was one of the ideas I decided to save for the qualitative study that will come later. There were a couple of mini-qualitative studies that came before this one that covered that in some detail, and it will be important in the later interviews. We pretty much decided to try to get some basic trends from childhood to adulthood here, without getting into many causes, with the exception of reading choice, which is a key to the research I'm using. If I were answering this, I would honestly have a bit of trouble because my early reading was more related to home than school as well.

Anyway, thanks. It helps to know this, particularly for the write-up. It's something that was there, but was trimmed, in part to simplify definitions for this particular survey.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Done. Why isn't "Redszone" listed as a genre?
    Didn't want to make the other genres feel bad by comparison.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 10-29-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Done.

I completed the survey and then read the comments on the thread. I have two little ones that I read picture books daily. Should I have marked that? I didn't even think about clicking picture books as an adult until RedTeamGo! mentioned he did.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (10-30-2016)

It's up to you. There is a bit of a trend of adults reading picture books as well. There are some interesting books being made that appeal to all ages.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    It's up to you. There is a bit of a trend of adults reading picture books as well. There are some interesting books being made that appeal to all ages.
    Brian Selznick says hello.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

11. Likes:

marcshoe (11-01-2016)

done. I read to my grand kids every chance i get.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

13. Likes:

Chip R (11-02-2016),cumberlandreds (11-02-2016),marcshoe (11-01-2016)

Thanks. I'm already working on an analysis, but the survey has another week left, so I'll post results then.

Just completed it as well. As the poster above said, I didn't even think about the reading I do with my 4 y.o. when competing the survey, but I read him a book or 2 a night (short stories of course). I loved reading as a kid, so much that I would often get in trouble as I would stay up too late reading under the covers. Reading took a backseat in high school as other activities took over. I found the questions interesting regarding schools and being able to pick what you want to read-I think that also played a role in my not enjoying reading as much when I had to read specific books.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

16. Likes:

marcshoe (11-02-2016)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Done.

18. Likes:

marcshoe (11-02-2016)

Done.

School was pretty soul sucking for me from about grade 2 to the end. I don’t think school ever made me want to read. It was very slow boring drudgery. Some of my desire to read seems innate. I want to know things. However I have to give a lot of credit to my mother for exposing me at a young age to wonder, fantasy, fairy tales, nature, etc and for taking me regularly to the libraries in Covington and Cincinnati for books.

I too enjoy picture books. A lot of books published in the late 19th & early 20th century have beautiful pen and ink drawings. I suspect that when I think of a Greek, a Roman, a pirate, a princess, Sinbad, a dragon, a temple, etc, etc the image that comes to mind was formed not by just the words (maybe very little by the words) but by the pictures. You can still find these books. A lot have been reprinted by Dover.

- Brett

20. Likes:

marcshoe (11-02-2016)

Done.

Have to think back a few years to elementary school for myself. "See Jane run. See spot chase the ball." Glad that has been replaced.

As a side note, we read picture books to our son everyday when he was younger. Now as a teen, he despises the books they have him read in school, but he reads books constantly at home. I just think it's interesting that school does not motivate him to read, but he has found reading a great personal release.

Sorry to ramble.
    Last edited by RedsfaninMT; 11-02-2016 at 06:06 PM.

22. Likes:

marcshoe (11-02-2016)

Two questions. I took the survey but can't remember if this is discussed.

1. Do you care about the medium for reading? I go back and forth between my kindle and a physical book. The kindle is easier, but it does have a battery. I do like the feel of an actual book in my hand.

2. What are your suggestions to close the gap between school reading and adult reading. More importantly, how do you balance the need for classics as opposed to reading enjoyable books?

24. Likes:

marcshoe (11-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Two questions. I took the survey but can't remember if this is discussed.

More importantly, how do you balance the need for classics as opposed to reading enjoyable books?
    Well, there's your problem.
    I'm a librarian and if I had a dime for every parent who I've witnessed telling their kid to put that book back because it's not advanced enough, not their reading level, not a classic, etc., I'd be retired. The critical time in the life of a reader is when they are no longer being told what to read and parents/teachers have the opportunity to help them cultivate an interest in it or not. Being concerned about whether a kid reads classics misses the forest for the trees because many of what parents and teachers consider classics won't make a lick of sense to them unless they have an interest in reading them.

Secondly, I find the distinction between classics and enjoyable a false dichotomy. Classics are classics because there is agreement that they are...great reads. I won't get into the details of what that means, but suffice it to say a book can't be a classic unless it's readable. Now, many classics are very complicated, or contain multiple layers that are subtle and difficult for young minds to grasp. So, the issue of whether a book is enjoyable is separate from whether it's a classic and the problem is that people often confuse that. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Dahl, they all wrote classics. Eminently readable, enjoyable classics.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

26. Likes:

Degenerate39 (11-02-2016),marcshoe (11-02-2016)

Some good comments here that I may use in my paper and presentation. Thanks.

I'll write more in a bit, but I'm going to be doing a qualitative (words, not numbers) study next year dealing with possible solutions.

Turn Off Ads?