Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Re: The Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Wish i had your sunny desposition....At least you are not telling me to go away or be a Steeler fan....like he morons at Bengal.com boards.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A spoiled, generally stupid fanbase. But then again, the average football fan is pretty dumb.

Mendenhall is an amazing pick for them. Sweed is a great pick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Wish i had your sunny desposition....At least you are not telling me to go away or be a Steeler fan....like he morons at Bengal.com boards.
    You're a brave man for even attempting to post on that garbage site.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PickOff View Post
    Well, we will certainly see whether the Steelers or the Bengals picked the better wide reciever. I would be very suprised if this wideout takes 2-3 years to develop. Aside from adding some size, the book on this guy seems to be that he can contribute right away.

Whether this was a reach or not, that is hard to tell. He was projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round. They obviously felt strongly enough about him that they weren't willing to risk him being taken.

They probably also felt that they could get better quality for pick value at DT/DE in the third.

It is not suprising to see the knee jerk remarks about this pick because this guy was not talked up. Barring an injury, though, he looks like the real deal to me.

Yes, we will certainly see. When your D has stunk for so long and you have a chance to luck into a safe pick in the 2nd round to fix said D and you take a WR that would have been available 2-3 rounds later, there is no excuse.

Kenny Irons was a stupid pick in '07 and this is 10 times worse.

A WR is a bad pick here, but when you take this guy over Kelly, Manningham, Sweed, and Doucet you are not bright. You are just a FO that wants to appear smarter than everyone else when the main goal should be winning.

I just saw someone post over there........
    Anyway, Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis obviously know what they're doing, so I have faith, afterall we're just silly-billy fans and they're 'football guys'.

????.....They are spoiled?? Spoiled by what? I mean.....there are some smart ones over there who know the score....BUT if you compliment the Steeler picks....it's...GET THE F out.....Leave....Good grief...no sense of what is going on at all.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Bah. Cowboys trade a decent young TE in Fasano to take another TE.

I was hoping to see them take someone like Dan Connor, who's going to be a good value pick for whoever grabs him.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Yes, we will certainly see. When your D has stunk for so long and you have a chance to luck into a safe pick in the 2nd round to fix said D and you take a WR that would have been available 2-3 rounds later, there is no excuse.

A WR is a bad pick here, but when you take this guy over Kelly, Manningham, Sweed, and Doucet you are not bright. You are just a FO that wants to appear smarter than everyone else when the main goal should be winning.
    You seem rather certain that Simpson will be a bust, and equally as certain that there was a prime defensive savior for the plucking. WR is a need, as is the defense, obviously. If your best player is the QB, it stands to reason that you need to give him prime targets to throw to, or you are just wasting a vast strength and becoming mediocre/poor everywhere.

I'm not positive this was a good pick, but I am positive it was not an obvious screw up.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

I thought they were only doing 2 rounds today but the rounds have went so fast under the new rules they are now starting round 3.

I take it back. I guess they are only doing 2 rounds today. They are done 2 hours earlier then they thought they would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I thought they were only doing 2 rounds today but the rounds have went so fast under the new rules they are now starting round 3.
    Today is done. The Dolphins will pick at 10am tomorrow morning. There was no reason not to still have the first 3 rounds today.

They could have started at 1pm and been done with the 1st 3 rounds by 10 pm.

Oh well, maybe next year they'll figure it out.

The same could be said for when Chad Johson was drafted ahead of Chris Chambers. I think recent off the field issues aside, I make that selection everytime. CJ put up pedestrian 40 times back then and this kid put up better recently. After doing a little research as far as WR's go this kid is a phenom. Has great hands/leaping ability, is a competitor, good character guy. Ran well at workouts/combine yet the knock on him is he lacks quickness and speed and needs to brush up his route running. Anybody that works the way this kid supposedly does won't have a problem with route running as long as he get's proper coaching. Add to that the loss of of Henry and CJ's issues and WR is as much a "need" as any position if not moreso.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

You seem rather certain that Simpson will be a bust, and equally as certain that there was a prime defensive savior for the plucking. WR is a need, as is the defense, obviously. If your best player is the QB, it stands to reason that you need to give him prime targets to throw to, or you are just wasting a vast strength and becoming mediocre/poor everywhere.

I'm not positive this was a good pick, but I am positive it was not an obvious screw up.
    Agreed. WR is a huge need on this team. Right now you have TJ and a bunch of injury prone 4th or 5th receivers. This doesn't seem like the right receiver but the small school guys often get overlooked because we don't see them play. The WR draft this year is really weird with surprises early before the big names were picked. I'll give the Bengals some benefit of the doubt just because I don't know much about this guy and the scouting report looks solid. And its hard to say he would have been available later when Avery, Nelson, and Royal all went earlier in the round after the "experts" gave them third and fourth round grades.

You are all missing the point. It doesn't matter if the kid is the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice, he would have been available later.

A stupid Bungal-like pick.

You are also forgetting, this isn't an organization that has earned the benefit of the doubt.

For all that are convinced he's the 2nd coming of Chad or Rice, do you want to wager how much of an impact he has on this team in '08? I will bet he's hardly noticed.

Marvin is coaching for his life right now. No excuse to reach for a WR here when his D has been bottom five for the last five years.

You are all missing the point. It doesn't matter if the kid is the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice, he would have been available later.
    Nobody is missing your point. It is simply impossible to prove that your point is at all true.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Nobody is missing your point. It is simply impossible to prove that your point is at all true.
    How so? He either contributes early or he does not. WR's rarely make an impact until their 2nd to 3rd year. Hey, if you are an elite team and this guy fills a need, great, but we are talking about a defense that has held the team down for years.

If he takes three years, it's a bad pick in the 2nd round, especially when Marvin is coaching for his life and needs impact players (especially from the 2nd round) now.

If this D finishes 25-30th AGAIN, Marvin will be fired. Plain and simple. This team cannot win with a D that bad and anything less than 9-7 will send Marvin packing. A stupid pick with so much on the line.

But look at his drafting history. More of the same and another reason he should not get the benefit of the doubt with this reach.

Turn Off Ads?