Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Indianapolis Zoo

Indianapolis Zoo

Has anyone been to the Indianapolis Zoo? I'm thinking of taking the kids there soon and thought I would ask. Apparently they have a 360 degree underwater Dolphin observatory that's supposed to be pretty cool. Never thought about the Indy Zoo until I saw the commercial on TV a week or so ago...

We've been to the Cincy and Columbus Zoo multiple times, but never Indy...

Any advice, info, etc would be appreciated.

We'd probably go on a Sat/Sun. Leave Dayton early (like 7am) and return that night, so no overnight...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indianapolis Zoo

My wife and I went last summer and I was not very impressed, the dolphin pavilion is actually very dissappointing. If I were you and you were coming to Indy with your kids I would do the Childrens museum. The Indianpolis Zoo is not as impressive as the Cincinnati Zoo, but right next to the Zoo is the NCAA Hall of Fame and a cool native american museum called the Itlejorg which are both very cool.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Ditto on the children's museum. I think it's best for kids under 13.
    I haven't been to the Indy Zoo. In fact, when I think Zoo...I think of Cincinnati. A big concern this weekend would be making sure there is shade, which Cincinnati has because it's so old.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Fort Wayne Zoo is surprisingly good, RL. I was there with my family about 6 years ago and we enjoyed it immensely. It's probably a little closer to you than Indy and a lot less interstate driving. There's also a nice Science and Industry Museum there in the city. We did the zoo one day and the museum the next and felt like it was worth the trip. The Convention and Visitors Bureau there has a package deal on discounted tickets to both places, as well as the Wizards baseball team.
    /r/reds

I was there about 5 years ago and was dissapointed when comparing it to the Cincinnati and Columbus zoos.

We went about 4 years ago and were very much unimpressed.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Has anyone been to the Indianapolis Zoo? I'm thinking of taking the kids there soon and thought I would ask. Apparently they have a 360 degree underwater Dolphin observatory that's supposed to be pretty cool. Never thought about the Indy Zoo until I saw the commercial on TV a week or so ago...

We've been to the Cincy and Columbus Zoo multiple times, but never Indy...

Any advice, info, etc would be appreciated.

We'd probably go on a Sat/Sun. Leave Dayton early (like 7am) and return that night, so no overnight...
    It's a zoo. The dolphin thing is ok. Now, the Children's Museum is cool as hell. We used to go there for field trips when I was a lad. Indy's got a lot of cool stuff. Heck, drive out to Speedway and go by the track. It's only about a 10 minute drive from downtown. There won't be anything going on. Just the enormousness of it will blow the kids' minds.

/grew up in Hoosierland
    //just realized this isn't Fark.com
    ///so I shouldn't be doing the slashie thing

Heck, go see an Inddianapolis Indians game at Victiry Field while you are there- maybe go there when the Bats are there- iy's a great place to see a game.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Just don't go to the Indianapolis Speedway this weekend. They're having the US Grand Prix, so it might be a bit busy.

We liked the Zoo when we went 10-12 years ago. Kids always like zoos.

We've also been to the Children's Museum several times. It's very cool. Last time we went, they were having a big Norman Rockwell exhibit. Don't know if its still running though.

Another good place to take kids is Conner Prairie. It's a living history-type place. My kids loved it. http://www.connerprairie.org/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Count me in the crowd who says the children's museum is a great place. When I'm stuck with baby-sitting, it's worth the four hours of driving to get to Indianapolis and back. It's kind of like Finding Nemo--it's intended for kids, but the parents can enjoy it with their children, too.

Turn Off Ads?