Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time to stop screwing around with this kid

It's time to stop screwing around with this kid

I am still baffled at how the Reds continue to screw around with Mr. Chapman. It's clear he is not cut out to be a bullpen pitcher and yet they keep screwing around with him. The numbers just show he needs to be moved into the starting rotation. I would start it at where he is now at that is AA...

Down on the farm

The Cuban Misfire
    Aroldis Chapman last night at AA Carolina
    1.2 innings, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 R, 3 K, 1 WP
    37 pithces/17 strikes

AA:
    2 games: 0-1 19.29
    2.1 innings, 5 H, 5 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 3 K, WP, balk, .455 BA
    61 pitches/29 strikes
    AAA:
    3 games: 0-1 13.50
    4.2 innings, 9 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, .375 BA
    85 pitches/59 strikes

Total rehab stats between AAA/AAA
    5 games: 0-2 15.43
    7 innings, 14 H, 12 ER, 5 BB, 11 K, .400 BA
    146 pitches/88 strikes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's time to stop screwing around with this kid

To be fair, control issues actually point more towards having a guy in the bullpen than having him be a starter.

He ultimately should be a starter, yes.

But it's not like making him a starting pitcher right now will suddenly fix his control problems.

If he fixes his control issues and get get his strike rate up, I have no problem with him being in the rotation. But I don't want to see a guy walking 6, 8, 10 batters in a game just because he can throw heat.

Quote Originally Posted by MBZags View Post
    He ultimately should be a starter, yes.

But it's not like making him a starting pitcher right now will suddenly fix his control problems.
    No question this is not a quick fix issue. That is why I feel he should be put in teh rotation and just alllowed to mature at his rate.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    No question this is not a quick fix issue. That is why I feel he should be put in teh rotation and just alllowed to mature at his rate.
    The $30 million minor league starter?

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    The $30 million minor league starter?
    yep...it takes time to develop someone as raw as him. Had the Reds done the right thing and left him in the starters role last year at AAA we might be seeing the fruits of that now, but instead we don't know when we will see a return on our investment due to poor handleing by Walt and Bob...

I have to ask, how would a rotation job fix his control problems? He may be more naturally comfortable there, but stretching out his appearances like that seems like it could compound his problems rather than fix them by encouraging him to repeat them over the course of 80+ pitches. What's more, if he gets blown up as a starter and batters take advantage of his reduced velocity, do you switch him back?

I'll agree, however, that it's time for the Reds organization to make up their minds on reliever/starter. If he escapes this downturn with his career intact as either a starter or reliever, trying to change him again could send him back to his old ways and possibly ruin him for good.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    To be fair, control issues actually point more towards having a guy in the bullpen than having him be a starter.

If he wants to be or is to be a starter, it also would help if he develops a change up.

I can't think of too many successful starting pitchers with 2 pitches... even when one of those pitches can approach the plate at over 100 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye fly View Post
    If he wants to be or is to be a starter, it also would help if he develops a change up.

I can't think of too many successful starting pitchers with 2 pitches... even when one of those pitches can approach the plate at over 100 mph.
    He definitely needs an at least average third pitch. If not a changeup, a two-seamer would go nicely against RH batters.

Recovering Cubs Fan

yep...it takes time to develop someone as raw as him. Had the Reds done the right thing and left him in the starters role last year at AAA we might be seeing the fruits of that now, but instead we don't know when we will see a return on our investment due to poor handleing by Walt and Bob...
    Hell, the Reds should just hire you, Mr. Baseball. All their problems would be fixed instantly.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Super Agent

Another gem from BRM. LMAO!

I am still baffled at how the Reds continue to screw around with Mr. Chapman. It's clear he is not cut out to be a bullpen pitcher and yet they keep screwing around with him. The numbers just show he needs to be moved into the starting rotation. I would start it at where he is now at that is AA...

Down on the farm

The Cuban Misfire
    Aroldis Chapman last night at AA Carolina
    1.2 innings, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 R, 3 K, 1 WP
    37 pithces/17 strikes

AA:
    2 games: 0-1 19.29
    2.1 innings, 5 H, 5 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 3 K, WP, balk, .455 BA
    61 pitches/29 strikes
    AAA:
    3 games: 0-1 13.50
    4.2 innings, 9 H, 7 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, .375 BA
    85 pitches/59 strikes

Total rehab stats between AAA/AAA
    5 games: 0-2 15.43
    7 innings, 14 H, 12 ER, 5 BB, 11 K, .400 BA
    146 pitches/88 strikes
    only thing his numbers show right now is that he can not pitch.

He is the future closer
    We already have one too many starters and after this season no closer

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    only thing his numbers show right now is that he can not pitch.

He is the future closer
    We already have one too many starters and after this season no closer
    you never have enough starters.

Doesn't much matter if you walk a guy when you're throwing 105 mph or 70 mph. Leave him in AA (or somewhere other than the Reds roster) until he throws strikes. This is starting to sound way too much like Steve Dalkowski (Last name may be misspelled).

Turn Off Ads?