Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Remembering past Reds: Norm Charlton

Remembering past Reds: Norm Charlton

Norm was kind of that unsung third guy in the Nasty Boys' bullpen of 1990. He had success both as a starter, and as a reliever.

However, the one moment in his career that I'll never forget was when he bowled over Mike Scioscia at home plate. It was still cool and necessary to hate the Dodgers back in 1990, and Norm went all out to score on that occasion.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Remembering past Reds: Norm Charlton

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    However, the one moment in his career that I'll never forget was when he bowled over Mike Scioscia at home plate. It was still cool and necessary to hate the Dodgers back in 1990, and Norm went all out to score on that occasion.

That was pretty cool though I was so worried he had hurt himself doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Norm was kind of that unsung third guy in the Nasty Boys' bullpen of 1990. He had success both as a starter, and as a reliever.

LOL I knew that was the play you was going to bring up and I agree with you 110%.That play single handedly showed everybody what Norm Charlton was all about and that he was in it to win it always.Man I miss the nasty boys alot I hope we can be lucky enough to have three more pitchers just like that.They was awesome!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

If I recall the game was on ESPN Sunday night game of the week.
    I will never forget me and my brother jumping up and down like maniacs after Stormin Norman knocked Scioscia on his butt!!!

Probally next to watching the final outs of the WS wins of 75' 76" and 90', the ultimate pride I ever felt of being a Reds fan was watching this very play!!

I know people want Soto back as a pitching coach but geez lets bring Norm back in some capacity and restore some pride and toughness!!!!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think any championship team needs moments like that and crazy characters like Norm.

He was great.

I think that the notable thing about the Charlton play was that Scioscia had a reputation for winning all collisions-- players often did not walk away from crashing into him. This impression pervaded the league, to the point that players would deliberately seek no contact with Scioscia.

that a relief pitcher would hit him -- and if I recall, he really didn't HAVE to hit Scioscia on the play -- was inane, but it really created a swagger for the Reds. It also said a lot about Charlton's loose screws.

Turn Off Ads?