Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

0 0%
  • Tyler Cline

1 1.39%
  • Kevin Coddington

1 1.39%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Mariekson Gregorius

3 4.17%
  • Evan Hildenbrandt

1 1.39%
  • Ezequiel Infante

0 0%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

8 11.11%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

10 13.89%
  • Carlos Mendez

1 1.39%
  • Logan Ondrusek

7 9.72%
  • Henry Rodriguez

3 4.17%
  • Enerio Del Rosario

9 12.50%
  • Dave Sappelt

0 0%
  • Mark Serrano

8 11.11%
  • Mace Thurman

2 2.78%
  • Philippe-Alexandre Valiquette

1 1.39%
  • Humberto Valor

0 0%
  • Pedro Viola

17 23.61%
  • Byron Wiley

0 0%
  • Other - Name him

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect?

He broke it, and the Reds elected for him not to have surgery. It turns out that the physical therapy didn't work and that he should have had Tommy John surgery in the first place. It happens all the time except most teams just go straight to the surgery. But in the case of Lotzkar, they thought it might be better if they tried to skip surgery since he's so young. I remember the first time the injury happened, people were hardly worried about it. If people thought the injury wasn't a big deal in the first place, why would it bother them the second--especially when you consider that the recovery rate for Tommy John surgery patients is very high?

Just this year, Travis Webb came back from TJ surgery and managed to produce almost identical numbers at a higher level. Scott Gaffney came back from TJ surgery and improved his numbers at a higher level (which is far from unheard of). Todd Coffey had TJ surgery in the minors and is now performing better than ever. Adam Rosales had TJ surgery, and the Reds are still comfortable with him having a strong enough arm to play third base. In the past, Erik Bedard, Ryan Dempster, John Smoltz, Mariano Rivera, Kenny Rogers, etc. have all come back from the surgery just fine--and often with improved results and one or two more ticks on the fastball. We saw Jose Rijo come back from it three times. It's not until you start to mention shoulder surgeries that I start to write a prospect off.

I'm sticking with Lotzkar until he's picked.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As I said before, if Lotzkar had just the Tommy John surgery I wouldn't be worried, it's the fact that he's broken his elbow twice PLUS had Tommy John surgery. IMO, a broken elbow is a lot worse than TJ surgery.

It makes sense to me that you would let it bother you, but to be fair, the broken bone was seen as a fluke injury and was a minor break.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    It makes sense to me that you would let it bother you, but to be fair, the broken bone was seen as a fluke injury and was a minor break.
    And then he broke it again. I don't see it as a fluke after it happens a second time. I hope like heck he bounces back and has a great career but it's going to be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    And then he broke it again. I don't see it as a fluke after it happens a second time. I hope like heck he bounces back and has a great career but it's going to be tough.
    It never fully healed the first time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It never fully healed the first time.
    Maybe, but the point still remains about the stuff.... because of the arm breaking the Reds were talking about taking away his best pitch. That certainly changes his ceiling.

So if not 26, where would you guys rank Kyle Lotzkar? 30s? 40s? 50s? Lower?

So if not 26, where would you guys rank Kyle Lotzkar? 30s? 40s? 50s? Lower?
    I would start considering him in the mid 40's. There is just way too much unknown with him at this point and then top it off with 3 significant injuries and its just way too high for him here. At least for me.

I'll consider him somewhere in the 33-40 range.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe, but the point still remains about the stuff.... because of the arm breaking the Reds were talking about taking away his best pitch. That certainly changes his ceiling.
    What about his mechanics? Could that be improved instead so he could keep his curve?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    What about his mechanics? Could that be improved instead so he could keep his curve?
    Potentially. But at that point is his curve going to be as good? Will the new mechanics cause new issues because all of his muscles, ligaments and tendons are built around how his old mechanics work? Even if that were to happen, the teaching of new mechanics, it still opens plenty of new questions.

Well there's only one way to find out if his curve would still be as good. If his mechanics aren't that great now I'd want to at least see if they could be worked on. I'm not saying it would have to be a radical change like totally redoing his mechanics but any improvements could help. Do it slowly and don't rush him back and the chances of further injuries should be decreased. But if they just go ahead and take away his curve instead will that hurt his potential enough that he'll be less likely to even see the big leagues?
    Last edited by redsfandan; 01-08-2010 at 06:07 AM.

It looks like the next poll should be a free-for-all. We've got five guys within two votes.

To me, this is where it starts to get real interesting. Because you're no longer just ranking prospects, but identifying them. We all know that Frazier and Leake, et al, are going to be around the top, but what do we make of Mace Thurman, Ezequiel Infante, Joe Krebs, Tucker Barnhart, Cody Puckett, Curtis Partch?

That's why I'd kind of like to see us keep going to 50. (Seems like we might have started that last year but it petered out.) Anybody else in that camp?

Turn Off Ads?