Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I don't know if this is posted, but I think this is VERY interesting -- using a blind resume to determine who should be the #2 team in the nation:

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs....56338/33566427
    I had my decision come down to Oklahoma State and Alabama. Didn't think the other teams should have even been in the conversation, when looking solely at the numbers presented in the original article. My vote went to Oklahoma State, but when I look at their resumes with the knowledge that Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State and that Alabama lost to LSU, in overtime, it changes everything about the numbers presented.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I had my decision come down to Oklahoma State and Alabama. Didn't think the other teams should have even been in the conversation, when looking solely at the numbers presented in the original article. My vote went to Oklahoma State, but when I look at their resumes with the knowledge that Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State and that Alabama lost to LSU, in overtime, it changes everything about the numbers presented.
    Why not look at their entire road to the BCS championship?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That's the point -- there's more to a resume than just "Team X lost to a better team than Team Y, therefore Team X is superior."

You can't boil the decision down to just that.

Would the situations were changed and it was Boise State whose 1 loss came to LSU while Alabama had lost to TCU, would you say Boise State automatically makes the national title game because it's 1 loss was to the #1 overall team?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    That's the point -- there's more to a resume than just "Team X lost to a better team than Team Y, therefore Team X is superior."

You can't boil the decision down to just that.

Would the situations were changed and it was Boise State whose 1 loss came to LSU while Alabama had lost to TCU, would you say Boise State automatically makes the national title game because it's 1 loss was to the #1 overall team?
    Well, I think the numbers presented are a bit skewed, particularly in the point differential. Alabama has one loss, which negatively impacts that number. Same for Oklahoma State. But one team lost to a great team. The other lost to Iowa State. The numbers simply aren't telling the whole story because of that.

If Boise State had one loss and it was to LSU, I think it would matter how they performed in the game. Did they lose in a close game or lose by 40? Did Alabama lose in a close game to TCU?

In the end, I think Alabama and LSU should be playing in the BCS Title game because they are, in my opinion, the best two teams in college football. Alabama/Oklahoma State resume's look similar if you don't account for who they each lost to. But when you look at their resume's side by side and account for who the losses came to, then Alabama has the stronger resume.

Using strictly Sagarin's ratings gives OSU top 20 wins over:

#12 Texas A/M (6-6)
    #14 Texas (7-4)
    and #18 Missouri (7-5)

I have a hard time thinking of those as "top 20" wins.

Sagarin's own rating has Bama #2, OSU #3.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 11-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'm no fan of Rick Reily, but I thought he made some really good points in this:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7...bcs-title-game
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm no fan of Rick Reily, but I thought he made some really good points in this:

I never thought of it this way, but with the BCS Title Game being played in New Orleans, it really is like a home-home series between 'Bama and LSU.

If 'Bama wins round 2, do they have a neutral-site matchup at Cowboys Stadium in February to settle it?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

He lost me with this: "Or what about Stanford-LSU?"

Combined with:

"A team that didn't even make its conference title game will be playing in the national title game? It's like Rick Perry withdrawing from the primaries and then going up against President Obama." (Stanford is not playing in the PAC-12 Championship Game this weekend.)

So yeah, other than him being a jerk and all sorts of flawed logic, yeah... Not bad.

Do they really pay him to write this crap?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Be that all as it may, if Oklahoma St. beats Oklahoma, I would say they have a legit gripe about not being in the BCS NC game. A good case can be made for either Alabama or Ok St. Maybe have a play-in game?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

So if Georgia wins they get the automatic BCS bowl for the SEC. The thing I don't get is that I've heard a few experts say that LSU would likely hold on to one of the top two stops even if they loose and if Oaklahoma State isn't able to over take Alabama by beating Oaklahoma then that would leave LSU and Alabama 1 and 2 in the final poll. The thing I don't understand is how the BCS can let those teams play for the National Championship when they don't allow one conference more then one at large team to play in a BCS bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    So if Georgia wins they get the automatic BCS bowl for the SEC. The thing I don't get is that I've heard a few experts say that LSU would likely hold on to one of the top two stops even if they loose and if Oaklahoma State isn't able to over take Alabama by beating Oaklahoma then that would leave LSU and Alabama 1 and 2 in the final poll. The thing I don't understand is how the BCS can let those teams play for the National Championship when they don't allow one conference more then one at large team to play in a BCS bowl.
    I believe it is because neither team in the championship game is an At-Large, so it allows for three total teams from the same conference only in this exact scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I believe it is because neither team in the championship game is an At-Large, so it allows for three total teams from the same conference only in this exact scenario.
    If that's the case Arkansas should be eligible for a BCS bowl games but I've heard otherwise from those same experts.

They should just make the SEC Division I football and move the rest down to Division II. Solves everything. All Oklahoma St., Alabama, and LSU have a chance to play in the NC game.

So if Georgia beats LSU they will be SEC Champs and there will probably be two SEC teams in the Championship game - neither of which is Georgia?

Georgia was just vaporized by a punch to their face. LSU beat Bama in Tuscaloosa. Why are Bama fans so confident that the Tide will soon win the Championship?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?