Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Reds will get the big 3 Labor Day weekend

Re: The Reds will get the big 3 Labor Day weekend

I just hope the Reds advance scouts are watching these games the Cards are playing and can tell the Reds how to beat them because the way they have tried previously didn't work but all these scrub teams are like kryponite to the Cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post

Situation 2: A pitcher gets hurt by a thrown pitch and has to come out of the game for a pinch runner. The next batter is quickly retired for the final out, before the guy in the bullpen can get up and warmed up enough for his typical 8 pitches b/w innings. Would the next pitcher get as many pitches as he needs to warm up, or would he only get 8? I assume the easy way around this, is to get someone up quickly and even if the prior inning ends quickly, the pinch runner goes to the mound while the reliever continues to warm up, then the manager makes a switch at the start of the next frame so he can be sure he's warmed up.
    According to NFHS rules, the relief pitcher would get as many pitches as needed regardless of how or when the original pitcher was hurt. The spirit of the rule in regards to unlimited warmups pitches is so the replacement pitcher is not hurt warming up with so few pitches being allowed. How the pitcher was hurt would not factor in how many warmup pitches the reliever would get. I would assume MLB has the same rule.

It is a good question BTW...made me think.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    According to NFHS rules, the relief pitcher would get as many pitches as needed regardless of how or when the original pitcher was hurt. The spirit of the rule in regards to unlimited warmups pitches is so the replacement pitcher is not hurt warming up with so few pitches being allowed. How the pitcher was hurt would not factor in how many warmup pitches the reliever would get. I would assume MLB has the same rule.

It is a good question BTW...made me think.
    Thanks, makes sense as its in the spirit of the rule, but you tony Tony Baseball would make it a point to argue the rule if given the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Thanks, makes sense as its in the spirit of the rule, but you tony Tony Baseball would make it a point to argue the rule if given the opportunity.
    I thought the exact same thing when typing this. He was the first Manager to pop in my mind who would do that.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I think I've seen this before - or something similar - and the relief pitcher got as much time to warm up as he needed.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think I've seen this before - or something similar - and the relief pitcher got as much time to warm up as he needed.
    Seems like a few years back a pitcher from a team with grey and blue uniforms, while playing the Reds, tweaked something running the bases, and the relief pitcher got all the time he needed. I can draw a mental picture of it happening, but can't remember the exact circumstances.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Backfired!

I thought of this as soon and the Cards got swept by the Stros. They frontloaded their rotation for the Reds series but got beat soundly by the Astros while the Reds swept the Brewers. LaRussa basically puts a weaker team out there two days leading up to the Reds series and two days after the Reds series. When you look at the grand scheme of things, in a 162 game season all 162 game count the same.

I know LaRussa invented baseball but it doesn't make much sense to me to have your 1 and 2 pitchers pitching back to back.

Turn Off Ads?