Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2012......Maybe

Re: NBA 2012......Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't really follow the NBA and really can't stand LeBron. I appreciate his talents but can't stomach rooting for him. I think his title/s will always have a psuedo astric by them. Its the new age of basketball where everyone is friends and they are more than willing to join forces than win by themselves. I liked the old school games where the playes on the court didn't like each other. I liked when players like Magic and Bird and Jordan etc. would rather quit than join forces with their enemies.
    You mean like when Isiah Thomas and Magic used to kiss before tipoff or when Magic and Bird became BFFs after they did a shoe commercial together?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the most telling thing in today's NBA is when Durant was quoted saying/tweeting "congrats to the Miami Heat......" Really?!?!?!?! I don't think you would have heard Stocton or Malone saying that to the Bulls.
    I think it's admirable. Aren't we supposed to be gracious when we lose?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Chip You mean like when Isiah Thomas and Magic used to kiss before tipoff or when Magic and Bird became BFFs after they did a shoe commercial together?
    I thought the Isiah Thomas Magic incident was a move by Isiah to say they weren't afraid of playing with people with AIDS.

As for Magic and Larry they became friends out of respect later on in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If it was intramurials I would think its admirable. I guess I am just wired a little different.

I don't really follow the NBA and really can't stand LeBron. I appreciate his talents but can't stomach rooting for him. I think his title/s will always have a psuedo astric by them. Its the new age of basketball where everyone is friends and they are more than willing to join forces than win by themselves. I liked the old school games where the playes on the court didn't like each other. I liked when players like Magic and Bird and Jordan etc. would rather quit than join forces with their enemies.

I think the most telling thing in today's NBA is when Durant was quoted saying/tweeting "congrats to the Miami Heat......" Really?!?!?!?! I don't think you would have heard Stocton or Malone saying that to the Bulls.
    So silly. And it's asterisk.

All those Laker/Bull teams had multiple hall of famers on them as well.

People just like hating on LeBron.

#LaFamilia

I agree. Durant lost perfectly last night. He will most certainly have his moment and it might be soon.

I thought the Isiah Thomas Magic incident was a move by Isiah to say they weren't afraid of playing with people with AIDS.
    Nah. That went down a few years before Magic announced he had AIDs. IIRC, there had been a big broohaha during one of the regular season Lakers-Pistons games and that was their symbolic way of ending it. But they were good friends to boot.

Until, of course, Isiah spread rumors that Magic was gay and Magic helped blackball Isiah from the Dream Team.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Yep. Having class isn't a character flaw. It doesn't preclude competing as hard as you can until the last second ticks off.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Yes sir..........where I come from that is called "sportsmanship".

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

#LaFamilia
    Yeah, Pippen on those Bulls championship teams was better than the current version of DWade. There were times when Lebron put the Heat on his back but he also had solid performances from his teammates at times, just as other NBA greats have had.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post

#LaFamilia
    I don't think that the fact that LeBron needed to be surrounded by better talent to win is the reason for the discontent, it's more related to the inorganic way that the Heat came to be.

As you point out the Bulls were loaded with talent aside from Jordan, but for the most part the nucleus of the Bull's dynasty was homegrown and it took time for the team to develop into the team that won 6 championships in 8 years. The same is more or less true for the Lakers, though Kareem was obviously a FA acquisition.

While I don't blame LeBron for feeling that he needed to surround himself with more talent in order to get a ring, but at the same time I don't feel like it's unfair to say that the way that the Heat came together just doesn't feel right and can see why people are slow to embrace them as a team.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yeah, Pippen on those Bulls championship teams was better than the current version of DWade. There were times when Lebron put the Heat on his back but he also had solid performances from his teammates at times, just as other NBA greats have had.
    Pippen never carried a team on his back by himself the way Wade did in 2006.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I'm happy for LeBron. He will go down as one of the great all-time players, and his numbers actually look similar to Oscar Robertson (although I never saw Robertson play). But LeBron is truly a unique talent.

I'm a little tired of the "vindication" angle that he finally won. This wasn't the 1980 Olympic Hockey team. The Heat winning wasn't a surprise, it was expected. It just took a year longer than expected.
    Agreed. The Heat have two Superstars and one star--Sorry, I don't consider Bosh a Superstar. Many teams, including some playoff teams, do not even have one star. Indiana comes to mind. With a fortified bench and a much better interior defensive squad than given credit for, it was almost a given.

I'm also happy for Erik Spoelstra. I cannot believe that the Pat Riley is going to come in and save the day nonsense went on as long as it did.

OKC has a great young group of stars, but due to the new CBA, they won't be able to build much around them, and will probably lose Harden if he commands a big contract.
    I would not be surprised if Perkins is amnestied in an attempt to pay both Harden and Ibaka.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Pippen never carried a team on his back by himself the way Wade did in 2006.
    So you skipped over the part where I said "current version of Wade"? Also Wade never ever D'd up the way Pip did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

So you skipped over the part where I said "current version of Wade"? Also Wade never ever D'd up the way Pip did.

You mean the Wade who was playing while obviously injured and not at full strength.

Wade is far from 100%. Watch him opt out from the Olympic team because he needs time to heal. Still not a bad effort.
    As far as comparing 2006 Wade with Pippen, .......put Pippen on that Heat team instead of Wade and the Heat wouldn't have gotten past Round 1. Pippin was a nice side kick. Wade put that team on his back and carried it to a championship.
    As far as d'ing up, Wade has always played very good defense.

Turn Off Ads?