Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker

Re: Jesse Winker

And ditto for pitchers - more Homer Baileys and Robert Stephensons. Fewer Mike Leakes, Brad Boxbergers and Donnie Josephs - at least in the first couple rounds.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-10-2013),Old school 1983 (05-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Love that swing of Winker's. It's so simple and pure. With that short stroke, I just don't see him flailing at balls in the dirt and pulling off pitches the way we've seen from, say, Bruce. But then, I wonder if Bruce would have looked much the same at that stage. I kind of don't think so, because I consider Bruce to be a rhythm hitter. He has to start a bit early to get it all going. Winker's swing seems much more concise and purposeful.

They kept Bruce in Dayton all year. I guess the plan would be the same with Winker. What happened to 'Challenge Thy Hitters'?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    They kept Bruce in Dayton all year. I guess the plan would be the same with Winker. What happened to 'Challenge Thy Hitters'?
    I like challenge thy hitters, but from a business standpoint, the Reds love keeping the Dragons organization happy and winning. Jesse Winker is this team's superstar and the Reds have shown a propensity of keeping their superstar prospects in Dayton for a full year. As I stated earlier, if the Reds wanted to challenge Winker, they would be much more likely to keep him in Dayton for a full year and skip Bakersfield altogether next year than they would to bump him up after the All-Star break this year and then let him start next year in Pensacola.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    The Reds challenge them once they hit 20. Not so much as teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Slow start for Winker has been wiped away. In his last 17 games: .397/.493/.638 with 10 walks and 10 strikeouts.

And some video:

Based on that video, I am worried about his approach at the plate. He swung at every pitch! Talk about not working the count! Otherwise he has a nice looking swing.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-13-2013),reds44 (05-22-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Based on that video, I am worried about his approach at the plate. He swung at every pitch! Talk about not working the count! Otherwise he has a nice looking swing.
    Haha.

I have been having some video editing problems and essentially, it is very hit or miss as to whether the program locks up when exporting anything over 3 minutes long. So I decided this year to only include swings rather than full at bats in the videos. Between Winker and Seth Mejias-Brean, that led to a lot of clips being left out as they are both very patient hitters.

Haha.

I have been having some video editing problems and essentially, it is very hit or miss as to whether the program locks up when exporting anything over 3 minutes long. So I decided this year to only include swings rather than full at bats in the videos. Between Winker and Seth Mejias-Brean, that led to a lot of clips being left out as they are both very patient hitters.
    Glad you got that I was joking. While I can see the use for videos of whole at bats, videos where the guy is actually swinging is much more entertaining to watch.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I was with you.... until that last line
    Hence the wink smilie.

Oh I know.... but I really needed to also have a laugh at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I agree. Gelalich and LaMarre are perfect examples of why I hate drafting "polished" college hitters with good all around game but no exceptional tools early. Add to that guys like Devin Lohman and Brodie Greene, and I really hope the Reds stop this trend in this year's draft.

Don't get me wrong- there is some value to those types of players especially as organizational filler and occasionally they can turn into a serviceable big leaguer. But they'll almost never be stars, and I want to reserve my first few picks for players who could become stars or at least impact players. Draft the polished, solid guys later.

If there is one kind of polished college player I wouldn't mind the Reds going after in the top 4 or 5 rounds (but not the top 2), it's a SS- much like they did with Cozart back in '07.
    Man I was going to make a post just like this until I saw Benihana had already done it. Thought about it last night while watching Lohman and Green, and Lamarre. (Rounds 2-4 in 2010) draft. It's almost as if they were trying to draft career AA players.

PS - Whoever is identifying our top Puerto Rico talent....? Fire him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I like challenge thy hitters, but from a business standpoint, the Reds love keeping the Dragons organization happy and winning.
    In their last 21 halves, Dragons have finished with a winning record a total of three times. In the last 10 seasons, Dragons have finished with two winning records.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    In their last 21 halves, Dragons have finished with a winning record a total of three times. In the last 10 seasons, Dragons have finished with two winning records.
    As someone who is seeing him up close everyday, would you agree with the assertion that Winker is the Reds best hitting prospect since Votto and Bruce?
    Go BLUE!!!

I think he is a heck of a prospect. Hard to compare players of different experience levels because a 19 year old has a ways to go to get to where Frazier was in Dayton as a hitter, but, yes, most advanced under-20 hitting prospect since Bruce. Legitimate chance to be an impact major league player. Probably will need to stay in left field. Not as athletic as Bruce but might be a bit further along than Bruce was at the same age strictly as a hitter. Of course, Bruce then made a huge jump during his 20 year old season.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-14-2013)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    redsof72, obviously the stats you have presented do not show the Reds commitment to Dayton. That being said, I cannot remember the last Reds' prospect to not spend a full year in Dayton. I will admit, I do not follow other team's minor league teams nearly as closely as I follow the Reds. Therefore, it is entirely possible that every team leaves their top prospects in low A for an entire year. I just think that Winker has a solid chance of staying in Dayton the entire year, rather than be bumped up to Bakersfield at some point.

Turn Off Ads?