Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Torreyes

Re: Ronald Torreyes

I internet high five scrap and lollipop's posts. And internet fist bump. Awkwardly, of course.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Torreyes were 6-2 and 185, I'd still find it hard to get too worked up about any offensive stats in VZL or AZL. While we're at it, don't get too carried away by offensive stats accumulated at Billings.

These guys showed some promise and that is great. They win the right to come back and give it a shot at the next level. I love that the scouts have some praise for tools, but the same guys are urging caution about size. I love the fact that he looks like a plus defender at 2B and he can run. Same with Hamilton, but the hitting stats aren't so meaningful IMO. Lets see how they do in full season ball where the opposing talent is a little more evenly matched over the course of a year.

At this point tools get the most weight in projecting, but physical attributes are more important than the offensive stats IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

How much did the Reds sign him for in comparision to other players on the international market? I'm not sure how much credit the reds get for "ignoring the hight profile scouting" in his case, unless you tell me he signed for a decent chunk more than your average run of the mill "lets throw something at this guy w/ some decent tools, stick him in he VSL league for a season or 2 and see if he develops enough to make it to the states" contract. In other words, the Reds may have just gotten lucky taking a flyer on a kid they weren't even sure would make it to the states.

FWIW, I don't think there's anything wrong w/ Doug's approach. Generalities and profiling can tell you a lot about the odds of a prospect making it. Odds are Juan Duran isn't going to make it, he's just too tall to consistantly make solid contact. However, Corey Hart has shown that a 6'-8" dude has a chance to make an impact in the shown one day, which is why you take a chance on Juan wearing his sun glasses as night. I'm sure there is a ton of "little" guys w/ decent hitting tools that never progress past AA, but obviously some do, so you give that guy a chance as well.

Evaluating prospects is such an inexact science. Basically gather all the info you can, give them the best coaching you can, and hope everything comes together. There's a reason they have so many minor league teams. If it was more exact, they'd just put together a AA & AAA team and bring a player up after a season or 2, if not right out of the draft. However, since the fail rate is so high, they have to fill up teams in High A, Low A, 2 rookie level teams, a VSL team and a DSL team. Take as many different prospect types that they think "have a chance" and hope 1 or 2 progress up the majors a season. Get 1 or 2 legit major leaguers a year, and you're minor league system is a success.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    You're right. The questions of Hamilton's power are poor ones as well. That .138 ISO would have ranked 9th among second basemen in all of mlb.

You have alleviated my concerns about Hamilton's power.

Thanks.
    The two leagues those two guys played in are among the most hitter friendly in all of baseball too....

Torreyes, whatever he weighs, played in the "A" game today and doubled.

Was at the game today. Torreyes got plenty of laughs when he took to the on deck circle, but he shut that up pretty quick. He roped the first pitch foul and then unloaded one off the left center wall a few pitches later. He's REALLY small and I'm still skeptical about his chances moving forward, but he's certainly fun to watch.

Cruisin' for trouble

Joe Morgan is listed in Baseball Reference as being 5'7", 160lbs.

If Torryes could add a few pounds of muscle as he gets older, I think he'd be fine. My only concern would be how he would hold up over 162 games.

If Torryes could add a few pounds of muscle as he gets older, I think he'd be fine.
    He's 18. It'll happen.

According to the CDC, 98% of all males add between 2 and 6 percentage points of BMI to their frame from age 18 to 20. Those 98% with a height between 5'8" and 5'10" add approximately four to six percentage points of BMI within two years.

If he's average and his weight is indeed around 135 lbs. right now, Torreyes would fill out to around 5'10, 155-175 lbs. by age 20.

This study was conducted in 2000, so perhaps some things have changed since then.

In other words, he'd be similar to Dustin Pedroia, Rafael Furcal, and Omar Vizquel in body type. Not big by any stretch of the imagination, but not lilliputian either.

According to the CDC, 98% of all males add between 2 and 6 percentage points of BMI to their frame from age 18 to 20. Those 98% with a height between 5'8" and 5'10" add approximately four to six percentage points of BMI within two years.

If he's average and his weight is indeed around 135 lbs. right now, Torreyes would fill out to around 5'10, 155-175 lbs. by age 20.

This study was conducted in 2000, so perhaps some things have changed since then.

In other words, he'd be similar to Dustin Pedroia, Rafael Furcal, and Omar Vizquel in body type. Not big by any stretch of the imagination, but not lilliputian either.

What other baseball board can one go to where someone can reference the CDC to back up a point? Bravo Sir, quite good.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

My question is, how many males at that age are as slight a frame as Torreyes is and how many of those guys were able to do that? I am not a doctor, and I don't pretend to be one.... but not everyone is the same and guys with slight frames like that (and that of say, Billy Hamilton) aren't prone to adding such weight from what I have seen in the minor leagues after following them for a while.

It's clear torreyes is bulemic. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It's clear torreyes is bulemic. Bummer.
    It is?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is?
    Listening to you it is. You are already as relentlessly one-note on this as the Stubbs detractors were.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Listening to you it is. You are already as relentlessly one-note on this as the Stubbs detractors were.
    I just think its a bit of a stretch to assume that he is going to put on weight because he is young. The amount of people on this board who have seen him in person can be counted on one hand. Given his frame, its not a given that he is going to be able to put on weight at all. But it seems that quite a few think he is going to be able to pack on 15-25 pounds easily over the next few years. Not everyone can do it. Not everyone has a frame that is conducive to it. Torreyes seems to be a guy who has a very tiny frame to work on.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 03-09-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Turn Off Ads?