Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin reunion???

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Led Zeppelin reunion???

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I don't know that it is number one- it's what makes him better.
    My opinion on Page is he can play almost any style of blues-based (rock-n-roll) as well or better than anyone. A small sampling of Zeppelin (I Can't Quit You Baby, Rock and Roll, Over the Hills and Far Away, The Immigrant Song, Travelling Riverside Blues) leaves me wondering if there is anything that man can't do with a guitar.

Zeppelin is better than (fill in the blank) because Page is better than (fill in the blank).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-20-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Last time they played Cincinnati a friend's dad was a Cincinnati cop on security detail at the coliseum. His description of the events sounded more like a riot than what Zeppelin has on their web site. One police motorcycle was tossed off the plaza level to the street below and there was a lot of blood and broken bones.

ZEPPELIN MELEE - CINCINNATI (UPI) — Police reported today about 70 persons were arrested Tuesday night m a melee caused by would-be gate-crashers at a Led Zeppelin rock concert. Several windows were broken and several doors smashed at Riverfront Coliseum, where several hundred persons without tickets milled about, hoping to get into the already sold-out concert. Several persons were hit by rocks and bottles, but no serious injuries were reported.

Inside the coliseum, the concert went on as scheduled. (The Journal, April 1977)
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    My opinion on Page is he can play almost any style of blues-based (rock-n-roll) as well or better than anyone. A small sampling of Zeppelin (I Can't Quit You Baby, Rock and Roll, Over the Hills and Far Away, The Immigrant Song, Travelling Riverside Blues) leaves me wondering if there is anything that man can't do with a guitar.

Zeppelin is better than (fill in the blank) because Page is better than (fill in the blank).
    Yes- and he does it without feeling the need to bloat the song with just endless guitar whining. You want to sing along with the guitar. I can't think of many bands where the guitar is just as strong as the vocals. And even the drums and bass are that way.

Honestly, the man is a riff machine and they just come at you one after the other.

I read where he did the guitar work on Tom Jones' "She's a Lady." Tough to confirm as he is pretty private on his session work but man, what a cool dude.

I'm going to steal a line from Lester Bangs (ironic because Bangs hated Zeppelin) but Led Zeppelin does in 9 songs per album what other bands can't do in 12.

They are unbelievable. And odd considering I don't like blues, I don't like the whole Viking Lord of the Rings thing, but these guys are just a religious experience for me.

I often wonder if Plant doesn't want to do it for other reasons. I know when hi son died in 77 or 78, he has been quoted as saying he was done, mentally, right then and there. Bonham's death just sealed it.

I wonder if getting back together would bring back stuff he doesn't want to think about.

Funny how he complained about Stairway to Heaven- Page hated "All My Love." They ought to do both every night to get back at each other and we all win.

7. Likes:

Joseph (02-24-2013)

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I agree about singing along (and I add air guitar). It's funny when I think about guitarists from the "rock god" era; Clapton was arguably the best blues guy, Iommi may have been the true riff-master, Van Halen could shred with anyone (including Hendrix), Allman could bend a string and make you cry, but Page was right there in every category. Like I said above, there seemed to be no end to his ability as a player and even as a songwriter. I would have loved to hear Page work with the likes of Jack Bruce, Ozzy Osbourne, Ian Gillan, and Freddy Mercury. The results of his work with Plant, Coverdale and to a lesser extent Paul Rogers speaks for itself.

To your point about his session work, from what I understand it isn't that he is that private it is that he did so many songs with so many people when he was a teenager, he really doesn't remember all the tracks he played. I have heard him say things like, "I was in a studio with "X" and we were playing either 'A" or "B", or maybe it was "C". Let's face it when he recorded these songs, he hadn't heard them before, noone had. And being in the studios all day he heard lots of new stuff. Now I'm just rambling on about Jimmy Page, I think I will go listen to Led Zeppelin II.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Don't know of a better place to put this article about the demise of mainstream rock music:

My decision to begin the Winners' History of Rock and Roll with Led Zeppelin is bound to be at least a little bit controversial. The Beatles have sold more albums, as has Elton John. It could be argued — wrongly, but not outrageously so — that the Stones or even the Grateful Dead have left larger footprints on culture, if those footprints are measured in cubic inches per Rolling Stone cover and/or blacklight poster. But Zeppelin truly is the right choice because it is the band that set the terms by which every other band afterward would come to classify victory in rock music.
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...1-led-zeppelin

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Last time they played Cincinnati a friend's dad was a Cincinnati cop on security detail at the coliseum. His description of the events sounded more like a riot than what Zeppelin has on their web site. One police motorcycle was tossed off the plaza level to the street below and there was a lot of blood and broken bones.
    I went to this show. It's why I didn't go to see the Who a year or 2 later and missed all that mayhem. It was pure madness. I was rock n roll animal then but that crush scene outside the gates was too much even for me. I really thought I was going to die for a couple minutes.

I'd pass on seeing Zep now. They aren't anywhere close to what they used to be. Their best days are way long gone. Page may still be able to bang out the killer riffs, but Plant's Viking banshee cry is gone. And John Bonham's drumming was what really propelled that band. "How The West Was Won" truly shows that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I gotta whole lotta love for a Zeppelin reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'd pass on seeing Zep now. They aren't anywhere close to what they used to be. Their best days are way long gone. Page may still be able to bang out the killer riffs, but Plant's Viking banshee cry is gone. And John Bonham's drumming was what really propelled that band. "How The West Was Won" truly shows that.
    If I could time travel to see a great band perform in their heyday, no doubt Zep would be near the top of my list. But this is generally how I feel about reunions. if bands are no longer recording new music, they generally lack the vigor and life to make paying the inordinate prices worthwhile.

Why not go see this generation's Led Zeppelin (or at least performers in their prime)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I don't know that it is number one- it's what makes him better.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    We aren't the rockers we used to be either. It might be cool to see them in a sort of unplugged format, reinterpreting some of their classics.

For a Level Playing Field

Page, Plant... Page, Plant. John Paul Jones! The most versatile musician in the band. You'd be surprised, if you did not already know, how many instruments Jones played. And his background before joining LZ was as impressive as Page (just no Yardbirds). But no fault of anyone here. It is the norm... Page, Plant. And of course Bonham gets lots of mention for his great drumming and untimely death. As we say in sports... I'd build my band around JPJ.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Page, Plant... Page, Plant. John Paul Jones! The most versatile musician in the band. You'd be surprised, if you did not already know, how many instruments Jones played. And his background before joining LZ was as impressive as Page (just no Yardbirds). But no fault of anyone here. It is the norm... Page, Plant. And of course Bonham gets lots of mention for his great drumming and untimely death. As we say in sports... I'd build my band around JPJ.
    Page gave Jones a lot of credit in the Rolling Stone interview. I like Bonham's drumming a lot; it seems he's always on the verge of falling behind and it creates a tension that can be almost unbearable to listen to. Yet, he keeps the songs moving.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Bass players are the offensive tackles of music.

John Paul Jones wrote a bunch of great Zeppelin riffs- his keyboard work on All My Love is awesome....

They just don't rank bass guitar players.

For a Level Playing Field

So true, Dom. The reason there are about 20 guitar player mags to every 1 bass player mag (or sites... showing my age). I have always said if you want to get in a band, then learn the bass. Everyone plays guitar and of course most professional bass players started on the guitar (not Jones though). Even Page played bass (switched to bass lol) when he first joined the Yardbirds.

Turn Off Ads?