Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Excellence of Homer Bailey

Re: The Excellence of Homer Bailey

I have been going to games most of my life. Homer was straight filthy last night and I am not sure if I have ever seen a more dominant performance in my life live. He had just about everything working. I mean, when he got that first strike on the batter, you almost knew that he was going to get that K. Even when the batter would foul off the pitch, you got the feeling that Homer was going to end the plate appearance himself with a K. Not like most other times pitching where if a batter did foul a pitch off, you would think that the batter at least got a part of it and had a chance, last night, it was like that is one strike closer to the K. At least that is the whole feeling that I got. Maybe the playoff atmosphere rubbed off on it as well, but despite the loss, it was a very, very, fun and exciting place to be.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I have been going to games most of my life. Homer was straight filthy last night and I am not sure if I have ever seen a more dominant performance in my life live. He had just about everything working. I mean, when he got that first strike on the batter, you almost knew that he was going to get that K. Even when the batter would foul off the pitch, you got the feeling that Homer was going to end the plate appearance himself with a K. Not like most other times pitching where if a batter did foul a pitch off, you would think that the batter at least got a part of it and had a chance, last night, it was like that is one strike closer to the K. At least that is the whole feeling that I got. Maybe the playoff atmosphere rubbed off on it as well, but despite the loss, it was a very, very, fun and exciting place to be.
    I agree. It was ELECTRIC in the ballpark and I think Homer fed off it during his seven brilliant innings last night. He was amazing and I was begging the Reds to get him another run so he could get the win. Too bad it didn't happen but man, just being in the crowd for that type of performance was SO encouraging and hopefully Leake does the same thing today. Good job Homer!

Really wish they had kept the free pizza & ice cream promotion going in the postseason...we would have won it in the eighth inning last night!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I don't hardly remember anyone putting that fastball into play. Just late defensive swings the whole night. For whatever reason, he's never been able to do that over the course of a season, but knowing he's still got that special kind of arm strength in a big game like this is huge going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I don't hardly remember anyone putting that fastball into play. Just late defensive swings the whole night. For whatever reason, he's never been able to do that over the course of a season, but knowing he's still got that special kind of arm strength in a big game like this is huge going forward.
    Yep, his fastball was incredible. They were behind it all night.

I just still can't believe they wasted that outing from Homer. So frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    His last 3 starts have been downright filthy.

20 IP, 1 ER, 26 K, 5 H, 2 BB

What's Bailey's future? Who knows. But he is absolutely dealing right now.
    I think the runs and hits are even more impressive. That's 1 hit every 4 innings and 1 run every 20. Wowza.

I assume we won't have to put up with any more ridiculous Bailey vs. Leake threads. Thank God for small favors.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I assume we won't have to put up with any more ridiculous Bailey vs. Leake threads. Thank God for small favors.
    Hopefully we won't have to put up with Mike Leake any longer as well.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Latos, Arroyo, and Bailey were excellent. Yet here we stand on the brink of elimination.

Still, I do now have high hopes for Homer in 2013. Hopefully he will live up to them.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Latos, Arroyo, and Bailey were excellent. Yet here we stand on the brink of elimination.

Still, I do now have high hopes for Homer in 2013. Hopefully he will live up to them.
    Win or lose tomorrow, I think Homer showed something during this series that is important - he is a big game pitcher. That's nothing to sniff at for a team with a young core of players that is looking at an upcoming window of contention.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

If Homer has turned the corner, then you're looking at Cueto, Latos, and Bailey at the top of the rotation with Arroyo and whoever to round it out. I'd say the Reds would be the favorite in the division again with a staff like that.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Let's not forget Chapman to the rotation and Leake isn't chopped liver. He's a young kid still learning his craft. And toss in a few nice ML arms and I think our rotation going forward is looking mighty fine.

I know many here will probably want to keep Chapman where he is, but I still want to see him made into a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know many here will probably want to keep Chapman where he is, but I still want to see him made into a starter.
    100 times yes! 70 innings of dominance a year is great; 200 a year is even better. It's just math!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?