Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mascots tackling mascots

Re: Mascots tackling mascots

I can't understand how anyone can honestly think there was nothing wrong with what this kid did. If you claim this type of action is ok, then how far does it go? And mascots do not get into these types of "altercations" all the time.

Good natured shenanigans between mascots when both are in on it are one thing, blindsiding a mascot as he's running onto the field with cheerleaders while holding a flag is totally inappropriate and could get someone hurt.

And please, do not make this into some sort of criticism of Buckeye fans. It has nothing to do with being too sensitive or that it happened to Brutus, but it has everything to do with bad sportsmanship.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I can't understand how anyone can honestly think there was nothing wrong with what this kid did. If you claim this type of action is ok, then how far does it go? And mascots do not get into these types of "altercations" all the time.

Good natured shenanigans between mascots when both are in on it are one thing, blindsiding a mascot as he's running onto the field with cheerleaders while holding a flag is totally inappropriate and could get someone hurt.

And please, do not make this into some sort of criticism of Buckeye fans. It has nothing to do with being too sensitive or that it happened to Brutus, but it has everything to do with bad sportsmanship.
    Like I said earlier in the thread... I had to withstand, once, two hours of drunken stories from a former Brutus recalling all sorts of "altercations" where the mascots do things (often unexpected) to one another. Sometimes it's scripted, yes, often times it's not. This seems to be much like one of his Brutus stories.

Also, if you look around, the only ones that have had a problem with this are Buckeye fans. So I think it's safe to say if Buckeye fans are the ones grumbling about it, perhaps Buckeye fans are being too sensitive. I grew up in an Ohio State household with Ohio State friends and watching Ohio State every day of my life. I've covered Ohio State for a living and lived, breathed and (will some day) die Ohio State athletics. And I don't mind saying I think some Ohio State fans are insecure and take things too seriously. This seems to be one of them.

So Brutus got tackled, how on earth is that a big deal? You'd think someone spit on peoples' mothers with some reactions to this. Making this about sportsmanship is a stretch, considering sportsmanship is about observance of the rules and fair play, as well as being gracious in victory and defeat. Considering there aren't really rules pertaining to mascots, and there isn't any competition, I don't see how one could apply the sportsmanship argument to this.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Mascots tacklings mascots

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    I'm not going to waste any more time on this. You simply don't get it.
    Agreed. A mascot in a giant, goofy outfit got tackled by another mascot in a giant, goofy outfit and people are upset about that. Guilty as charged: I don't get it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

A grown man with a buckeye for a head was tackled by a guy in a cat costume

That's just funny

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    A grown man with a buckeye for a head was tackled by a guy in a cat costume

That's just funny
    I guess you don't get it either,

I once watched a 5 minute wrestling match between the guy in the Albert costume and the Chicken guy from South Carolina, it started because the chicken had his inflatable alligator that he was wrestling with stolen by the student section.

Good times.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    And I don't mind saying I think some Ohio State fans are insecure and take things too seriously. This seems to be one of them.
    All fans are sensitive to a degree when it comes to their team, but IMO this certain incident has nothing to do with sensitivity. It's just a plain idiotic and dangerous thing. You simply don't blindside tackle someone, I don't care if he or she is wearing a foam costume or not. And how does this kid know if it was a female or male inside the costume? There are a lot of school mascots that are actually women. Would you condone that also?

Making this about sportsmanship is a stretch, considering sportsmanship is about observance of the rules and fair play, as well as being gracious in victory and defeat. Considering there aren't really rules pertaining to mascots, and there isn't any competition, I don't see how one could apply the sportsmanship argument to this.
    Sportsmanship doesn't just applies to players and coaches, but also to cheerleaders, fans, and mascots. They are all representing their university.

They are all representing their university.
    or Hocking College.

All fans are sensitive to a degree when it comes to their team, but IMO this certain incident has nothing to do with sensitivity.
    Yes, a lot of fans are sensitive to their team. That's not untrue. But in this situation, some Ohio State fans are being overly sensitive about this.

It's just a plain idiotic and dangerous thing. You simply don't blindside tackle someone, I don't care if he or she is wearing a foam costume or not. And how does this kid know if it was a female or male inside the costume? There are a lot of school mascots that are actually women. Would you condone that also?
    I can't believe you're breaking out the "what if it was a woman" argument. If women don't want to be playfully tackled, they shouldn't dress up as mascots. Simple as that.

As far as, "you don't just blindside tackle someone." Have you never played football? The game consists of tackling someone from the blindside, often not knowing exactly when it could happen or where exactly it's coming from.

Sportsmanship doesn't just applies to players and coaches, but also to cheerleaders, fans, and mascots. They are all representing their university.
    And yet, as part of the representation, they often depict themselves in physical altercation with other mascots. If sportsmanship is so important, what kind of lesson does that teach kids? Hm?

Yes, a lot of fans are sensitive to their team. That's not untrue. But in this situation, some Ohio State fans are being overly sensitive about this.
    Sounds like to me you just want to make this into a Buckeye thing.

I can't believe you're breaking out the "what if it was a woman" argument. If women don't want to be playfully tackled, they shouldn't dress up as mascots. Simple as that.
    This is just laughable. I guess according to your logic, part of the requirements of being a mascot is the willingness and ability to get "playfully tackled." I didn't see anything resembling "playful" in what this guy did, and I doubt that was his intent.

As far as, "you don't just blindside tackle someone." Have you never played football? The game consists of tackling someone from the blindside, often not knowing exactly when it could happen or where exactly it's coming from.
    This makes little sense when considering the context of the discussion. Mascots are not football players.

And yet, as part of the representation, they often depict themselves in physical altercation with other mascots. If sportsmanship is so important, what kind of lesson does that teach kids? Hm?
    Is your last name Carpenter?

Sounds like to me you just want to make this into a Buckeye thing.
    I haven't yet seen anyone in the places I've been discussing this that has had a problem with it that were not Buckeye fans. To me, that's telling.

This is just laughable. I guess according to your logic, part of the requirements of being a mascot is the willingness and ability to get "playfully tackled." I didn't see anything resembling "playful" in what this guy did, and I doubt that was his intent.
    What's laughable is that you tried to use the treatment of women to defend and argument about whether or not it's OK for someone in a goofy costume to playfully tackle another person in a goofy costume. How does that have anything to do with women? Hitting a woman and tackling someone in a mascot's outfit are not even remotely related.

This makes little sense when considering the context of the discussion. Mascots are not football players.
    And yet you're talking about hitting women. How is pointing out that the game of football involves blind-siding people any worse to the context of the discussion than making this an issue of chivalry?

Is your last name Carpenter?
    Is yours?

And yet you're talking about hitting women. How is pointing out that the game of football involves blind-siding people any worse to the context of the discussion than making this an issue of chivalry?
    I never said anything about hitting women???

I simply brought up the possibility that a woman may have been inside that costume. Call it chivalry or whatever you want. And it is well within the context of the discussion because there are a lot of women mascots and I doubt they would agree with your logic.

I never said anything about hitting women???

I simply brought up the possibility that a woman may have been inside that costume. Call it chivalry or whatever you want. And it is well within the context of the discussion because there are a lot of women mascots and I doubt they would agree with your logic.
    Actually yes you did. You asked what I would think if the person in the mascot's costume was a woman, implying therefore it's not OK because they were a woman. That is the only thing to gain by asking that rhetorical question. So you did in fact bring it up.

Women typically want equal treatment. I don't think there's even a story to be told there. It's completely irrelevant to the topic. It's just a way to justify hypersensitivity.

Mascots are not football players.
    Correct. They are performers, and their job is to entertain.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

More brutality. I hope everyone survived.

YouTube - Brutus vs. Michigan Fan
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?