25 28.74%
  • Juan Duran

30 34.48%
  • Juan Francisco

32 36.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prospect #8 runoff vote

Prospect #8 runoff vote

It's down to Chris Dickerson, Juan Duran, and Juan Francisco for the Reds eighth best prospect. This poll is open only one day as opposed to the normal two.

I'll again go with Juan Francisco at #8.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect #8 runoff vote

JUAN DURAN

Hit me baby juan more time

Dickerson

I like Dickerson, but the guy is 27. His window for helping the Reds is pretty small.

And if I have to choose between the two high potential guys, I'm taking the one who had a .799 OPS in the Florida State League during his age 20/21 season. Francisco it is.

For me, toss up between Duran and Dickerson.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    I like Dickerson, but the guy is 27. His window for helping the Reds is pretty small.
    He's only 26. He won't be 27 until next April. I will vote once again for Dickerson, as I think he has the best chance to help the Reds.

I'll skip this vote. The choices are ridiculous. a professional Minor Leaguer, Wily Mo in the making, and someone who is barely past puberty. I am disappointed in the lack of vision for the foreseeable future.

Oh well, we have plenty of voters. And that professional minor leaguer posted an OPS of .862 in Louisville and 1.021 in 102 major league atbats. Francisco has enormous potential and Juan Duran is one of the best hitting prospects to ever come out of the Dominican Republic according to the folks down there. I think a lot of teams would love to have one of those three as their eighth best prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Oh well, we have plenty of voters. And that professional minor leaguer posted an OPS of .862 in Louisville and 1.021 in 102 major league atbats. Francisco has enormous potential and Juan Duran is one of the best hitting prospects to ever come out of the Dominican Republic according to the folks down there. I think a lot of teams would love to have one of those three as their eighth best prospect.
    This totally misses the point. No sense in elaborating.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I'll skip this vote. The choices are ridiculous. a professional Minor Leaguer, Wily Mo in the making, and someone who is barely past puberty. I am disappointed in the lack of vision for the foreseeable future.
    Regardless of how you feel about the choices for this vote, what does that have to do with the 'lack of vision for the foreseeable future'? No one on this forum makes decisions for the Reds, so I just don't see where that statement really fits....

So, in gedred's book of prospectdom, there's Too young, Too old, and Too one-dimensional?

Projectability isn't one of your favorite words is it?

By all rights Juan Duran has already won this vote in the normal voting thread, therefore he has my vote in this one.

I voted for Francisco because I don't like voting for a young minor leaguer that hasn't played against anyone important yet

I like players that are producing now, not someone that may produce a few years from now

I like Duran's upside but that's all he has right now, his upside and projected skills

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    in a perfect world we'd all like the Reds to have 4 teams of minor league all-stars who are sure fire hall of famers, relax dude its all in fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post

And if I have to choose between the two high potential guys, I'm taking the one who had a .799 OPS in the Florida State League during his age 20/21 season. Francisco it is.
    I think Age is a bit over-rated in the free agent era. Top guys become too expensive after 5 or 6 years so looking longer than that when evaluating what a prospect could mean to a team may not be real useful. Age is important when projecting a player and how he'll perform, but once he's ready, the longevity angle is low on the list of things to consider. Since my criteria is based solely on how I think the player will help the Reds, I don't consider the age they hit they big leagues so much. They'll be free agents after 6 years anyway, so its only the cheap years that the team really gets benefit from them. (If we're simply projecting who will have the better career, I'd probably give age a lot more weight, and that may be the objective of these polls, but I'm looking at it only from a value to the Reds standpoint.)

Homer Bailey is an example of a guy who is going to have to be kept on the roster in 2010 and may not be ready at age 23. He may even get pigeonholed as a swingman while collecting service time and his price increasing. Many times these guys end up let go for pennies on the dollar and emerge as top players with their new teams.

On the other hand, with Dickerson you get his prime seasons on the cheap where he can help the team at his best. He's the player he's going to be and the Reds have him under control through his best years. They may actually could get 6 full seasons of positive contributions from him and then allow him to walk. Some of these younger guys end up with a couple of wasted years and just start to become real productive before they get to the point where the team needs to make a roster or a monetary decision while the player still has his best years ahead of him. The team actually ends up with fewer years of production from some of the younger prospects simply because of how the timetable plays out.

I voted Dickerson here. He's going to be a 400+ At Bat guy for the major league team who will add plus defense and speed in the process. Duran and Francisco may never be heard from at the major league level.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-02-2008 at 07:24 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?