Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chapman to pen

Chapman to pen

Chapman is in the bullpen. Baker: "He's a starter, a very good starter. But Billy Bray isn't ready to be late-inning lefty right now."
    https://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/st...57322159681537

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman to pen

I can't say I'm surprised. Bray's struggled with injury and got hit hard this spring training. Marshall is going to be given some closing duties. And we don't have any other good lefty options. Other than sending Arroyo to the pen (for which management isn't ready), optioning Leake (foolish), or getting rid of Bailey (wasteful), there wasn't any room.

It's still good to hear him called a starter by Baker, however hollow that comfort may be. Hopefully he'll get stretched out and used more in long relief, and take up a starting role when somebody falters.

What a waste.

And I was riding so high from the Votto news.

I think they had to keep him in the pen once Madson went out

I would not be suprised if Chapman is starting games before the close of April. There are always injuries and bouts of ineffectiveness. This being said- Dusty does like to pigeon-hole his players.

I have to wonder if the Reds are not the dumbess MLB mag't wise...

Genuine question: how often (if at all) does a pitcher start the season in the bullpen and eventually make his way to the rotation?

Well it's clear WHOM is running this franchise...and it's NOT our GM...

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    Genuine question: how often (if at all) does a pitcher start the season in the bullpen and eventually make his way to the rotation?
    This is my biggest worry. i honestly understand the idea given masset and madson injury. but i just dont see them moving him back to the rotation. this org takes a really long time to make necessary moves (see cozart-janish)

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    I think it is rare- but happens. The Cards converted Lynn to a starter when Wainright went down last year. However, this process began during ST. But keeping an arm like Chapman's out of the rotation is also rare. It is a unique situation.

I am willing to bet there is ZERO chance we see Chapman in the starting rotation this year or ever...Dusty doesn't see him as a starter..

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I am willing to bet there is ZERO chance we see Chapman in the starting rotation this year or ever...Dusty doesn't see him as a starter..
    True I agree .

My question is, when one of our starters goes on the DL, who is the next man in?

I hope Chapman is still the next guy in line. I would hate to see Chapman in the bullpen while Jeff Francis or JJ Hoover are getting big league starts.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Interesting Baker quote.

"This early in the year, the bullpen does a third to half the work," Baker said. "It only takes one dude to have one bad inning. One dude can have a bad inning and ruin hours of work."
    So if the bullpen is doing so much work early in the year why would you go with one less pitcher and one more position player? Dusty burnt out the bullpen last year. Let's hope he learned his lesson. I suppose if it only temporary it could be no harm, no foul. Color me skeptical.

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/baseball/m...2_a6&eref=sihp

Turn Off Ads?