Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon Thread

Re: Bourbon Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Hilariously, of all the bourbon/rye cocktails, the Old Fashioned is the one that I would say I've always heard is definitely a rye drink I guess it depends on which bartender you talk to. And the song "Make It Another Old-Fashioned Please" references rye so I always have that in my head.

I also grew up being told that you're never supposed to drink whiskey or bourbon totally straight. They dry out as they age, so you're supposed to add just a splash of water to release the flavor. However, I order whiskey this way all the time and most of the time the bartender misunderstands and gives it to me on the rocks or neat, so this may be an obscure/untrue thing as well. Really I know very little about whiskey, just that I like it. I'm not very discerning.
    I'm going strictly on origin when I say it's made with bourbon. It was invented in Louisville by (or in honor or) a bourbon lover:

http://gardenandgun.com/article/old-fashioned

Cocktail lore traces the old-fashioned to late-nineteenth-century Louisville, specifically the Pendennis Club, where the drink was purportedly invented by (or perhaps in honor of) Col. James E. Pepper, a patriarch of Kentucky bourbon whiskey who also kept a successful stable of Thoroughbreds.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

To add to my last post, the Manhattan (obviously) was a NYC invention. At that time, the popular whiskey in the region was rye from upstate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/fa...hake.html?_r=0

No, I’m talking about the original Manhattan. The daring, woodsier Manhattan of the 1800s —when New York City was only Manhattan and its eponymous cocktail was the boss of all drinks. Back then, bartenders left out the gloppy maraschino cherries — those didn’t arrive at our shores until 1900 or so — and made the drink exclusively with rye whiskey, bourbon’s sharper-tongued cousin. (For an analogy, think of the difference between rye bread and corn bread). In all likelihood, that rye whiskey came from upstate New York, because, as Ralph Erenzo points out, “There were 1,200 distilleries operating in New York before Prohibition.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Just get the cheapest. Otherwise you'll be overpaying for an incremental quality increase that you won't be able to discern.
    You think so? In my experiences, this can go either way. To me, there is a noticeable difference between say Jack Daniels and JD Single Barrel. Same is true with some scotches, as Johnnie Walker Red does not taste the same as Johnnie Walker Black. Although, Macallan 18 I don't think tastes so different (better) than Macallan 12.

I guess I could always start off with a cheaper bottle and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    You think so? In my experiences, this can go either way. To me, there is a noticeable difference between say Jack Daniels and JD Single Barrel. Same is true with some scotches, as Johnnie Walker Red does not taste the same as Johnnie Walker Black. Although, Macallan 18 I don't think tastes so different (better) than Macallan 12.

Like most here I'm not going to claim to have a very sophisticated palate, however I can tell a decided difference in the various Four Roses. I enjoy most all of them, but I do think some of the higher end bottles fall into the 'warm' variety instead of the 'burn' variety that cheaper bourbons will subject your throat to.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Like most here I'm not going to claim to have a very sophisticated palate, however I can tell a decided difference in the various Four Roses. I enjoy most all of them, but I do think some of the higher end bottles fall into the 'warm' variety instead of the 'burn' variety that cheaper bourbons will subject your throat to.

I toured their distillery a few weeks ago. Great time for anyone that has the opportunity. They give you great information on the differences between their three primary bourbon offerings. This gives a good breakdown of how and why the different recipes vary: http://fourrosesbourbon.com/the-process/

Also, little known fact about Four Roses: they produce two bourbon lines that are not available in the United States. They are only available in Japan.

Couldn't agree more. The differences are stark. Now that being said, I'm not sure I'd pay $50 more for a Four Roses limited edition single barrel over their regular single barrel.

You think so? In my experiences, this can go either way.
    Let me amend my earlier comment: "a difference I can't discern." or at least not enough to justify the higher cost.

But I'm basically a middle-brow guy. From TV's to booze, I always pay just enough for good enough. I won't touch the cheap stuff but plain ol' Four Roses is like the Buick of Bourbons.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback all on Four Roses. I'm thinking about starting off with the regular Four Roses Single Barrel. That seems to be sort of in the middle.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback all on Four Roses. I'm thinking about starting off with the regular Four Roses Single Barrel. That seems to be sort of in the middle.
    If you can get it for $30-35 it's a great deal. If you get it for less, you probably live in Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    If you can get it for $30-35 it's a great deal. If you get it for less, you probably live in Wisconsin.
    In New York, prices are rarely "deals." I did find a store that has it for $35 and some change, which I'm fine with. I'll have to pick up a bottle soon.

In New York, prices are rarely "deals." I did find a store that has it for $35 and some change, which I'm fine with. I'll have to pick up a bottle soon.
    That's probably what you'd pay in Ohio (if not more).

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I toured their distillery a few weeks ago. Great time for anyone that has the opportunity. They give you great information on the differences between their three primary bourbon offerings. This gives a good breakdown of how and why the different recipes vary: http://fourrosesbourbon.com/the-process/

Also, little known fact about Four Roses: they produce two bourbon lines that are not available in the United States. They are only available in Japan.
    For decades they didn't sell Four Roses straight bourbon in the U.S. at all. I remember it being a big deal last decade when they started distributing it again.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    For decades they didn't sell Four Roses straight bourbon in the U.S. at all. I remember it being a big deal last decade when they started distributing it again.
    Yeah, kind of a strange history. The connection with Bulleit Bourbon is also one I can't quite sort out. When I toured the distillery last month, our guide said that Four Roses used to distill Bulleit Bourbon. Maybe I misheard, but everything I read on the interwebs seems to indicate that they still do. Who to believe?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I will post more later. I don't have a sophisticated palate, but I do enjoy good mid-range bourbons. The bourbon I always keep in stock is Old Forester. It is my go to, "I want a bourbon" bourbon. Although I do enjoy Four Roses, I haven't found a bourbon I like as much as Woodford Reserve for less than twice its cost. I also enjoy Bulleit, Bakers, Knob Creek, Big Ass, Weller 12yo, and Evan Williams single barrell. I always thought that Makers Mark is over-hyped. Lastly, even though is isn't bourbon I do enjoy Jack and Gentleman Jack, they are not my favorites but I won't turn one away.

Like I said, I will post more later.

Salud.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I've enjoyed this thread. Good stuff, folks.

I'm a Woodford Reserve guy. Neat or on the rocks, never mixed. I like to feel my alcohol.

I may start branching out.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?