Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Baker as new manager

Re: Reds may favor Baker

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Don't forget Brenly batted the godawful Tony Womack lead-off for the better part of 2 seasons because he was "fast."
    And didn't he win a World Series during that time?

2. Turn Off Ads?

As an Illinois resident who had to endure Baker bumbling the Cubs, may I simply add NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    Serious post this time. Wood had arm problems long before Dusty arrived in Chicago. Wood pitched the most innings ever in his career in 2002 the year before Dusty came to Chicago.

So to use Wood in this argument I don't believe is fair.

As far as using them alot, the Cubs were in a pennant race and they were two best pitchers he had, you have got to ride your horses.

As far as Baker overusing Harang. He has pitched over 200 innings for the past two years, why because he is our horse and you've got to ride him.

Even if it were true that Wood and Prior's injuries can be laid at the feet of Baker, we're talking about two pitchers in a 11-plus year managerial career.

Two pitchers again were the anchors of a staff that was trying to get to the post-season. Any of other manager's that we want for the job would most likely do the same thing if it means getting the chance to play in October.

Every candidate will have flaws. The minuses that are being thrown out here in Baker's case are IMO not very strong.

They could do alot worse IMO. I still like Macha myself, but I would take Baker.

I'm a true Reds Fan through thick or thin. Some who are threatening to give up on the Reds if Baker gets the job, can you say the same thing?
    It's true you can't really blame Baker for Kerry Wood. He gets lumped in with Mark Prior even though the circumstances were completely different. But a 22 year old should never lead the entire major leagues in pitches thrown, as Prior did in 03 under Baker. It happened because the Cubs were in a pennant race and had a mediocre bullpen. The point is that every manager has his strengths and weaknesses. If there's anything the Reds need their next manager to do well, it's handle pitchers and manage the bullpen. Baker's most glaring weaknesses.

LaTroy Hawkins was run out of Chicago on a rail because Baker is the only person in the entire world who to this day doesn't understand that Hawkins can't close games. When Hawkins' 9th inning struggles became too much to ignore Baker went to Chad Fox, who blew out his arm, ending his career, trying to blow away a hitter (I think this was against the Reds, actually). It was reportedly Jim Hendry who finally forced him to use Dempster in the role. Dempster was Hendry's choice from the start, but Baker insisted on Hawkins, even though most people blame Hawkins for the Cubs blowing the Wild Card lead the last two weeks of 04. In fact, if there was one thing Cub fans could console themselves with after that, it was that at least they knew Hawkins wouldn't be the closer next year. But the arrogant learning disabled Dusty Baker knew better. I'm getting pretty irritated just thinking about it; I won't even go into the Corey Patterson fiasco, except to say that if there's another thing the Reds need their next manager to do well, it's handle talented young players. Oops again.

I don't usually do this sort of thing, but I may have to make a few mental notes of which posters here are in favor of Dusty Baker, because my only entertainment the next year will be watching them turn on him as they realize the horrible thing that's happened. OH GOD PLEASE NO.

I have to admit that the thought of having Baker as manager does NOT impress me.

Imagine the chants from the Cubs fans every time we play them.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

part of BBN

I am sure this has been covered but I havent had time to read all the managerial posts.
    Why would the reds hire "Baker" now instead of waiting to see how the chips play out with Torre?
    I mean the one article sounded like the reds were close to hiring a manager yet reports I heard say NY may decide by friday so why not wait a couple of more days.
    "If" Torre goes, does anyone think Lou will be sorry he took cubbies.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I am sure this has been covered but I havent had time to read all the managerial posts.
    Why would the reds hire "Baker" now instead of waiting to see how the chips play out with Torre?
    I mean the one article sounded like the reds were close to hiring a manager yet reports I heard say NY may decide by friday so why not wait a couple of more days.
    "If" Torre goes, does anyone think Lou will be sorry he took cubbies.
    I don't know. Lou is a very good manager, but who is to say the Yankees would go after him? I think they would rather have another very professional manager. I'm not saying that Lou is not a professional, I'm just saying that he doesn't fit the Yankee persona. Besides, he has a very good team in Chicago, and he got them to expand their payroll. He'll be just fine in Chicago.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I don't know. Lou is a very good manager, but who is to say the Yankees would go after him? I think they would rather have another very professional manager. I'm not saying that Lou is not a professional, I'm just saying that he doesn't fit the Yankee persona. Besides, he has a very good team in Chicago, and he got them to expand their payroll. He'll be just fine in Chicago.
    I wasnt saying Lou would be the man only that he took himself out of the running.
    Sorta like last year when Petrino left for Atl and then shortly thereafter, the Cowboys and Chargers jobs came open.

I heard that on ESPN that Torre still wanted to manage the Yankees. That was the reason he had not quit to manage somewhere else. Torre is waiting to see if the Yankees will keep him, and I doubt he would want to manage anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I wasnt saying Lou would be the man only that he took himself out of the running.
    Sorta like last year when Petrino left for Atl and then shortly thereafter, the Cowboys and Chargers jobs came open.
    I know. I was just pointing out that he would have some good competition for the job, and that he has it good in Chicago.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    And didn't he win a World Series during that time?
    Yeah, and so did Tony Womack. And I don't want him on the team either.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Senor Votto

Manager stuff

Like everyone else, my sources have told me Dusty Baker interviewed for the Reds' manager position and has been in Sarasota in recent days.

One source who didn't tell me that was Baker's agent, Greg Genske, who told me he wasn't commenting on anything and when I asked a follow-up question, hung up on me.

Pete Mackanin said he doesn't know much more than his golf game stinks. He's not talked to anyone.

Wayne Krivsky hasn't returned my calls, and tonight the call went straight to voice mail.
    From C. Trent's blog

I find that very rude for Wyane not to return Pete's calls.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I am ready to revolt. If they hire him my madness might get up to where it was when we got Tony Womack.
    I agree. I dislike both of those cats. I was at the game in 04 when Womack got pissed and broke his bat on homeplate after striking out subsequently getting tossed. I yelled fire Dusty at Wrigley last September. I will lose it if Dusty gets the Reds job.

If Dusty's the best they can do,then just keep Mack.

Turn Off Ads?