Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Kent Merker interview last night on XM...

Kent Merker interview last night on XM...

I don't usually have XM, but on my return flight from Phily last night, I listened to Home Plate and caught a great 15 minute interview with Merker...some observations:

1. He believes Reds managment clearly is about winning "now" as opposed to rebuilding...
    2. He feels Dusty can "get 100 % from every guy, every day, even if it may not be a guys 100% best" (meaning, through the ups/downs of a 162 game season, Joe Schmoe might only be at his 85% best today, but Dusty can get that 85% from him)...feels guys respect Dusty because "he's had to go through it too"...
    3. Raved, simply raved about Cueto and Volquez...spoke glowingly about the fact they aren't awed by expectations or their surroundings...compared it briefly to Homer, who he mentioned as a guy with great talent (but through his comparison was clearly saying he's not emotionally ready to pitch at the ML level yet)...
    4. Clearly articulated that this team's problem the past 4-5 years has never been about offense, but about pitching and specifically the bullpen...
    5. Says he feels better and stronger than he has in 5 years...was more than content to give it a shot this spring and if it hadn't worked out, to move on into retirement...
    6. Had some interesting thoughts about how you rebound from a poor outing/pitch (in reference to Howard's bomb off of him)...
    7. He had fun "ripping" Brandon Phillips when asked about BP's supposed skills as a bowler: "Well, he'd better be good...who would lie about being a good bowler???"...it was funny
    8. Spoke in glowing terms about his enjoyment of playing with KGJ...

He is clearly excited to be pitching again, enthusiastic about this version of the Reds and a great interview...

Didn't know if anyone else heard the interview but I really enjoyed it...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Kent Merker interview last night on XM...

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. It's a reminder of how useful it is for the Reds to have a player like him with both a mature perspective and enthusiasm on the team. Leading by example has value.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    3. Raved, simply raved about Cueto and Volquez...spoke glowingly about the fact they aren't awed by expectations or their surroundings...compared it briefly to Homer, who he mentioned as a guy with great talent (but through his comparison was clearly saying he's not emotionally ready to pitch at the ML level yet)...
    I like this and don't see it as a knock of Bailey - the guy's still really young and has plenty of time to grow as a pitcher. I very much like that he's starting out at AAA and play there until you become the a ML ready pitcher. Next year he'll just be 22, I think.

I'm pulling for both Mercker and Lincoln and hope they pitch well and can stay on the club. I think they both presently bring something to the plate.

And I think Mercker brings some intangibles to the team, keeping things loose and as long as he pitches well, it's great.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I heard Mercker talk to Paul Daugherty on SportsTalk last week. Kent is an intelligent and well-spoken guy. I think he has a future in broadcasting if he so chooses.

That is, if intelligence and being articulate are prerequisites for broadcasting which may or may not be true.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

It's playing again right now.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I heard Mercker talk to Paul Daugherty on SportsTalk last week. Kent is an intelligent and well-spoken guy. I think he has a future in broadcasting if he so chooses.

That is, if intelligence and being articulate are prerequisites for broadcasting which may or may not be true.
    I have wondered about the future of major league players becoming broadcasters or analysists. Why would Merker want to be a broadcaster once he is done playing. He is making 600,000 for this season while amassing quite a fortune playing for around 15 seasons. In reality what would be his desire to subject himself to a mlb season when he doesn't need the cash. There was a time in baseball when players when they were done playing needed to sustain that income and used their baseball connections to do so but even today's journeyman mlb player would have no financial need to take another job.

Sorry if this hijacked this thread but it was something I had been thinking about lately.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have wondered about the future of major league players becoming broadcasters or analysists. Why would Merker want to be a broadcaster once he is done playing. He is making 600,000 for this season while amassing quite a fortune playing for around 15 seasons. In reality what would be his desire to subject himself to a mlb season when he doesn't need the cash. There was a time in baseball when players when they were done playing needed to sustain that income and used their baseball connections to do so but even today's journeyman mlb player would have no financial need to take another job.

Sorry if this hijacked this thread but it was something I had been thinking about lately.
    A few can walk away from the game, like Koufax or even Mario Soto, but many want to be part of the action in some way. Cal and Billy Ripkin do an XM show, which means they don't have to travel, but it's still the life.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I think it's just a matter of the guys loving the game so much they want to stay in baseball as a broadcaster. It's not all about the money for these guys. They play this game they're whole life and then when they're no longer able to play they want to somehow stay involved in the game and broadcasting is a way of doing that. I've long thought Mercker would make a great broadcaster. He's a smart dude and knows his baseball, plus he's a funny guy. Hopefully the Reds keep him around once he's done playing.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I think it's just a matter of the guys loving the game so much they want to stay in baseball as a broadcaster. It's not all about the money for these guys. They play this game they're whole life and then when they're no longer able to play they want to somehow stay involved in the game and broadcasting is a way of doing that. I've long thought Mercker would make a great broadcaster. He's a smart dude and knows his baseball, plus he's a funny guy. Hopefully the Reds keep him around once he's done playing.
    Trade him for Brantley.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I always have liked Merck and am really rooting for him. I was worried when he came to camp but now that he's shown he still has something on the ball I'm tickled he's with the Reds. It's nice too that a player would rather retire than pitch elsewhere to extend his career. Says to me that through his baseball travels he's become a Red at heart and I like that.

Turn Off Ads?