Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Umpires out on the field

Umpires out on the field

I have been thinking about this for a year or so when I kept seeing umpires out on the field dodge bullets(hit balls) on a constant basis.As we already know MLB has forced the 1st and 3rd base coachs to wear helmets to protect them ever since the minor league coach tragicly died.My question is should the umpires that our on the field wear helmets? I myself think they should b/c we already seen what could happen to a coach if he gets hit in the head in the wrong spot and that could easily happen to a umpire.Yes it might be a long shot for a ump to get hit in the head by a line drive BUT it could happen and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Umpires out on the field

I don't know about most of them, but in June I sat a couple of rows back of third, right behind Country Joe West, and I figure that if he got hit in the head by a baseball, that would pretty much be it for the ball.

Okay, maybe not. I don't know the answer. I wouldn't be surprised if the rule changed, maybe after some of the older ups move on.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a year or so when I kept seeing umpires out on the field dodge bullets(hit balls) on a constant basis.As we already know MLB has forced the 1st and 3rd base coachs to wear helmets to protect them ever since the minor league coach tragicly died.My question is should the umpires that our on the field wear helmets? I myself think they should b/c we already seen what could happen to a coach if he gets hit in the head in the wrong spot and that could easily happen to a umpire.Yes it might be a long shot for a ump to get hit in the head by a line drive BUT it could happen and I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    That's an interesting point. Especially now since the 3B and 1B coaches wear helmets now.

It may not be totally necessary - especially with the 2B ump. The 1B and 3B umps are always facing the batter and are farther up the line than the coaches are. So there's less of a chance that they get hit in the head. But it's not a bad idea at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I've also wondered when/if the NFL will ever require officials to wear helmets.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

The pitcher is the closest player on the field to the batter, if we are gonna down this road the the pitcher should wear a helmet with a face shield.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The pitcher is the closest player on the field to the batter, if we are gonna down this road the the pitcher should wear a helmet with a face shield.

Maybe they should.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Thats a great point GA,and I have to agree with you that it would'nt be a bad idea at all for pitchers to wear helmets with shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's an interesting point. Especially now since the 3B and 1B coaches wear helmets now.

It may not be totally necessary - especially with the 2B ump. The 1B and 3B umps are always facing the batter and are farther up the line than the coaches are. So there's less of a chance that they get hit in the head. But it's not a bad idea at all.
    Yeah like I said in my first post the umps probably would'nt get hit but I'd rather be safe than sorry.antyhing could happen exspeacially now a days the players are so much stronger.

I was actually wondering that a couple of days ago myself. While it seems they should not get hit, the same could be said for base coaches, and it is unfortunate that it has happened (yes, base coaches are also paying attention to the runners, but still).
    The same goes for pitchers. Herb Score...

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Thats a great point GA,and I have to agree with you that it would'nt be a bad idea at all for pitchers to wear helmets with shields.
    Honestly I don't think it's a good idea for pitchers to wear helmets with face shields nor do I think its a good idea for third base coaches or umpires to wear helmets. There is a certain element of our society that goes overboard with the safety stuff and it tends to irritate me.

I mean if umpires and third base coaches are required to wear helmets why shouldn't society mandate helmets for all people riding in cars?? They are at a much bigger risk for injury than a baseball player is.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 10-11-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I mean if umpires and third base coaches are required to wear helmets why shouldn't society mandate helmets for all people riding in cars?? They are at a much bigger risk for injury than a baseball player is.
    Seat belts.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Seat belts.
    but people still die from head injuries while wearing seat belts.

Maybe we should mandate helmets and wrapping people in bubble wrap??
    Last edited by George Anderson; 10-12-2009 at 10:29 AM.

but people still die from head injuries while wearing seat belts.

Maybe we should mandate helmets and wrapping people in bubble wrap??
    Mandating helmets for base coaches and umpires is equivalent to mandating seat belts in cars, not mandating both seat belts and helmets in cars.

Turn Off Ads?