Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    That looked good. Seems more like a Christmas break project though.

Finished it, it was a great read. Great ending.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re reading Moneyball on my new Kindle Fire. Figured, might as well, it was one of the Free Amazon Prime books.

Anyone ever read Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter?

Considering reading it and was wondering if anyone on here had any insight. I fear it may be a bit dry. I like the idea of the book, but when considering the topic in relation to the length, I wonder if I'll be able to make it through.

Just started "The State of Jones" by Sally Jenkins & John Stauffer, about a disaffected, Union-supporting Confederate soldier who deserts, goes home to Mississippi, and starts a guerilla rebellion against the rebellion. Interesting so far, but I get the idea that this isn't on the same reliability level as serious histories.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Just started "The State of Jones" by Sally Jenkins & John Stauffer, about a disaffected, Union-supporting Confederate soldier who deserts, goes home to Mississippi, and starts a guerilla rebellion against the rebellion. Interesting so far, but I get the idea that this isn't on the same reliability level as serious histories.
    Definitely a good book. Unfortunately (as you suspected) it plays fast and loose with history. If you approach it as a work of historically rooted fiction you'll enjoy yourself.

Got Tom Clancy's "Against All Enemies" from the library and read the first 50 pages or so. And quit.

I would have been really hacked if I would have paid money for this book. It's advertised as a Tom Clancy book but I'd say his input was minimal. The co-author (in about 8 pt font as opposed to Clancy's 72 pt) is Peter Telep.

I usually steer clear of these co-authored books (as I think they are pap and cashing in on an author's name) but this one had the appearance of a Clancy book. I hadn't heard of it, but thought I'd give it a try. My recommendation would be, don't even start it; it's lousy.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I just started reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

When I was a kid I read all of Brian Jacques novels. I just read "Redwall" last week for probably the 15th time or so. Clearly these books were written for younger readers, but I love his storytelling ability. Not the best book I have ever read, but certainly the most enjoyable. Does that make any sense?

La Dolce Vita

i love "a christmas memory" by truman capote. read every year at this time, either out loud to someone near and dear or just to enjoy myself.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    When I was a kid I read all of Brian Jacques novels. I just read "Redwall" last week for probably the 15th time or so. Clearly these books were written for younger readers, but I love his storytelling ability. Not the best book I have ever read, but certainly the most enjoyable. Does that make any sense?
    Sure does. I read those books back in the day along with my son who was a big Brian Jacques fan. I got a huge kick out of them.

Zach had a pet chinchilla that he aptly named "Martin".

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    i love "a christmas memory" by truman capote. read every year at this time, either out loud to someone near and dear or just to enjoy myself.
    I like that book too.

My wife usually gets a whole stack of Xmas-themed books at the start of the season and wades her way through them. I'll ask her for recommendations.

I got "When Elves Attack" by Tim Dorsey whom I'm a fan of. Reading "Electric Barracuda" now.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    I remember loving the Redwall series when I was younger. Jacques passed away within the last year or so, and I thought about going back to re-read some of the books but never actually got around to it. I might hit up half priced books sometime after Christmas and see if I can find the first few books.

And, as an aside, never let the fact that you're outside the target demographic for a book dissuade you from reading -- I'm currently taking a break from my regular reading schedule and going through "The Hunger Games" (in anticipation of the upcoming flick) and really enjoying them.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Just finished Pirate Lattitudes by Michael Crichton. They supposedly found it on his laptop after he died. I smell ghost writer (to go along with Micro). This is about the equivalent of a quick popcorn action movie. Easy to read, easy to enjoy, easy to forget.

Just started the Heart of the World by Ian Baker and I'm about 50 pages in. Interesting.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Got Tom Clancy's "Against All Enemies" from the library and read the first 50 pages or so. And quit.

I would have been really hacked if I would have paid money for this book. It's advertised as a Tom Clancy book but I'd say his input was minimal. The co-author (in about 8 pt font as opposed to Clancy's 72 pt) is Peter Telep.

I usually steer clear of these co-authored books (as I think they are pap and cashing in on an author's name) but this one had the appearance of a Clancy book. I hadn't heard of it, but thought I'd give it a try. My recommendation would be, don't even start it; it's lousy.
    Did you read "Dead or Alive"? I read "Teeth of the Tiger" and thought it was very good. If it isn't very good I don't think I am going to even attempt to dive into it. It is huge and if its anything like Clancy it takes you about 200 pages to get all the background information before it really picks up.

The Night of the Gun by New York Times writer David Carr. The reviews aren't overwhelmingly positive, but I've really enjoyed it. I think a lot has to do with Carr being an acquired taste, like grapefruit, but it's a taste I have.

In journalistic fashion, he traces his history as an out-and-out f-up (booze, drugs, beating up on women) to where he is today. A good chunk of the book is a rumination on how subjective memory is and how we fabricate our own realities to make us feel fine.

Good stuff and an easy read.

Turn Off Ads?