Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best at bat you've ever seen....

Re: Best at bat you've ever seen....

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    It's tough to beat that Alex Cora 18 pitch one off Matt Clement, I think he fouled off 14 straight before hitting a HR.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?....jsp&c_id=null
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

October 22, 1975 at Fenway Park

Joe Morgan, top of the 9th inning against Jim Burton. Morgan muscled out a bloop single to score the original Ken Griffey (SR) to send the Reds to a 4-3 lead, and eventual victory against the BoSox in the 75 WS.

Had to have a hit, not a walk and Joe delivered.
    Last edited by Always Red; 05-11-2013 at 09:39 PM.

4. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    That one was epic considering what was on the line. How many pitches did Bruce see?
    Just call me Legs

Thanks for finding it, it's just ridiculous, by the end there, Cora actually looks like he's getting bored, Clement looks miserable, and most everyone else is just giddy.

Sorry, meant to quote reds44's post.
    Last edited by blumj; 05-11-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Hard to pick ONE. But the one at the end of our season last year Bruce vs. Romo was one of the greatest I have ever seen.

Didn't Pujols have a great AB against Lidge before he hit that Granny in Houston?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Hard to pick ONE. But the one at the end of our season last year Bruce vs. Romo was one of the greatest I have ever seen.

Didn't Pujols have a great AB against Lidge before he hit that Granny in Houston?
    I can't remember how many pitches Pujols saw in that AB. It was great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    October 22, 1975 at Fenway Park

Joe Morgan, top of the 9th inning against Jim Burton. Morgan muscled out a bloop single to score the original Ken Griffey (SR) to send the Reds to a 4-3 lead, and eventual victory against the BoSox in the 75 WS.

Had to have a hit, not a walk and Joe delivered.
    I have always regarded Tony Perez's HR off Bill Lee as being the key at bat of that game. When Joe hit his 9th inning single the game was tied but the Reds, with a deeper bullpen, seemed to have the advantage. Until The Big Dog hit his 2 run bomb over the Green Monster (I think the ball landed in New Hampshire), the Reds had appeared dead in the water, down 3-0.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-13-2013),mth123 (05-12-2013),wlf WV (05-13-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I have always regarded Tony Perez's HR off Bill Lee as being the key at bat of that game. When Joe hit his 9th inning single the game was tied but the Reds, with a deeper bullpen, seemed to have the advantage. Until The Big Dog hit his 2 run bomb over the Green Monster (I think the ball landed in New Hampshire), the Reds had appeared dead in the water, down 3-0.
    I agree with you, Doggies HR certainly was the key hit in the game, but Joe's at bat was in the top of the 9th, 7th game of the WS. They absolutely needed a hit, and Joe delivered. Total clutch AB.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Completly agree. I'd argue that it is the single biggest hit in Cincinnati Reds history (and it's my avatar).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It's the Warren Morris walk-off to win the CWS. Man, I know this doesn't apply in the same sense you guys are talking about (he hit it on the first pitch) but it's the ONE SINGLE AT BAT that I always remember exactly where I was when it happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbOyYPr-2E

Very cool play by play interview with the participants here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...&sportCat=ncaa
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I know this isn't that high on the list of great at bats and there really wasn't much at stake, but I was at a game where Joe Oliver got deep in the count, got one to drive, and pulled it just foul into the green seats. The next pitch he hit fair, on almost the same exact trajectory. How often do you see a guy hit a foul homer and then get one fair on the next pitch?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I don't remember much about single ABs, but for recent history I'll go the other way from the type of ABs most guys choose, and pick Choo's first pitch of the game HR last week. I like aggressive ABs that jump right on a pitcher and don't involve fouling off about eleventy-billion pitches.

1967 Don Pavletich ...pinch hitting...kept fouling off pitches and fooled on a curveball his hand slipped off the bat but he connected ... homer...one handed...Marichal pitching...I was there with my Dad and Grandma. I loved Pavletich and Art Shamsky. Go figure...Rose Pinson D Johnson Alex Johnson Cardenas Perez and May....and my 14 y/o heroes were instead a couple of backup players.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I can't remember who the opposing pitcher was. Some reliever who threw tons of heat. Votto came up with men on base in a late inning, maybe a final inning. Ran the count full and kept fouling pitch after pitch off. Finally drove one past the shortstop, and I think it might have scored the winning run. It was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think you are referring to our very own Broxton.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    That it was. Reds were up by a run or two at the time. Broxton came in and was sitting at, like 90 mph and couldn't get the ball past the Reds hitters. After going 1-0 on Rolen (I think), the Dodgers pitching coach came out, told Broxton something about his mechanics, and Broxton came back throwing 96+ and just blew away Rolen. Votto came up next, and had that ridiculous at-bat, getting beat badly on the first two fastballs. He choked up and started fouling everything off, eventually worked the count to 3-2, and then hit a little single to give the Reds another run.
    By a cool stroke of fate, I happened to be at Dodger Stadium for that, on a vacation with my dad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyvvOPSgNKs

The fanfare for Broxton coming in was akin to GABP when Chapman comes on in the 9th. That battle was an amazing thing to see in person.

Here is the Cora/Clement ab. The mlb link doesn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4JuBmzjNsE

Turn Off Ads?