Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips wins gold glove for 2013

Re: Brandon Phillips wins gold glove for 2013

Congratulations, BP!

Well-earned.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm the leader in STP and I have the sticker on my bedroom door (next to my wacky packages stickers)

Right next to the Chiquita banana football helmet stickers...

Attachment 6702

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (10-30-2013)

I'm the leader in STP and I have the sticker on my bedroom door (next to my wacky packages stickers)

This, opposite your bedroom door sitting on the nightstand:

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-30-2013)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

8. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (10-31-2013),Tom Servo (10-30-2013)

Those football stickers and beastball cards look awesome, I want.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Brandon Phillips win gold glove for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Do you root for the Reds? Never understood slamming your own player when he wins an award.
    To those wed to the metrics argument, it's more important than anything. They can't pull away from the dogma.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    DWAR is about as reliable as FSP (Fart smell potency) and a groundout to Frazier at third base actually has a negative impact on Phillips range factor.
    I'm not sure about some of the older metrics.. but for either method of calculating dWAR currently, a grounder to third would have ZERO effect on that.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    To those wed to the metrics argument, it's more important than anything. They can't pull away from the dogma.
    I'm happy for him, but I would have went with Barney. BP has visibly lost a step. He's still great, just think he's no longer the best. My eyes match what the numbers say. I remember several occasions thinking "younger BP would have made that play" as the ball passed by just barely out of reach.

13. Likes:

joshua (10-31-2013),oneupper (10-31-2013)

It's pretty interesting that only 4 of the 8 position players who won Gold Gloves in the NL were ranked the best at their position by Fangraphs. Some of the GG winners were ranked way down the list according to Fangraphs.

GG winners are listed below. Number in parentheses denotes where they were ranked by Fangraphs. Names in right-hand column were rated No. 1 at their positions by Fangraphs.

Code:
    Pos  —  (FG#) Gold Glove winner         FG No. 1

C    —   (2)  Yadier Molina             Russell Martin

1B   —   (4)  Paul Goldschmidt          Anthony Rizzo

2B   —   (2)  Brandon Phillips          Darwin Barney

SS   —   (1)  Andrelton Simmons         Andrelton Simmons

3B   —   (1)  Nolan Arenado             Nolan Arenado

LF   —   (3)  Carlos Gonzalez           Starling Marte

CF   —   (1)  Carlos Gomez              Carlos Gomez

RF   —   (1)  Gerardo Parra             Gerardo Parra
    Who do you trust: Players and managers or the numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It's pretty interesting that only 4 of the 8 position players who won Gold Gloves in the NL were ranked the best at their position by Fangraphs. Some of the GG winners were ranked way down the list according to Fangraphs.

GG winners are listed below. Number in parentheses denotes where they were ranked by Fangraphs. Names in right-hand column were rated No. 1 at their positions by Fangraphs.

Code:
    Pos  —  (FG#) Gold Glove winner         FG No. 1

C    —   (2)  Yadier Molina             Russell Martin

1B   —   (4)  Paul Goldschmidt          Anthony Rizzo

2B   —   (2)  Brandon Phillips          Darwin Barney

SS   —   (1)  Andrelton Simmons         Andrelton Simmons

3B   —   (1)  Nolan Arenado             Nolan Arenado

LF   —   (3)  Carlos Gonzalez           Starling Marte

CF   —   (1)  Carlos Gomez              Carlos Gomez

RF   —   (1)  Gerardo Parra             Gerardo Parra
    Who do you trust: Players and managers or the numbers?
    It's hard to argue with the fangraphs selections but I'm not sure that the defensive metrics are QUITE there yet to be able to determine the awards solely on numbers.

Stat geek...and proud

Well, at least in the NL, (I don't watch a whole lot of AL games, so I'm not as well versed), but all the guys that fangraphs and the voters agreed on were pretty clearly the best, so I don't think anything really changed. Anybody who watched baseball this year could tell you, numbers or no, that Simmons, Arenado, Gomez, and Parra were the best at their positions. I actually thought Arenado may not win because he's not that well known, so good on them.

To me, the people who argue against Phillips winning it seem to be picking nits on the issue. Barney was probably the best defensive 2B in baseball this year but it's not like Phillips is in the category of Derek Jeter and didn't deserve it. Phillips had a spectacular defensive year and I'm ok with either Barney or Phillips winning it. This isn't Palmero winning it when he DH'd most of the year.

EDIT: I am noticing more of an outrage in other forums and discussion boards than here. I just kind of laugh at some of the reaction I'm seeing to this award.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'm not sure about some of the older metrics.. but for either method of calculating dWAR currently, a grounder to third would have ZERO effect on that.
    I didn't say it would affect dWAR. I said a ground ball to third base has a negative impact on a second baseman's Range Factor.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    I didn't say it would affect dWAR. I said a ground ball to third base has a negative impact on a second baseman's Range Factor.
    Ok then. Range Factor is outdated anyway.

UZR rated Barney and Phillips closely enough that it would be pretty difficult to tell them apart by the eye. Phillips did it on a playoff team that recieved more converage. I think it would be pretty tough to be "outraged" over this one.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?