Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Postseason scheduling

Re: Postseason scheduling

I don't ever recall such a stupid way of conducting a post-season schedule. Is this because of the format they chose for this year? I concur with AlwaysRed. I have no idea how MLB expects people to make plans with a moving target schedule. Absolute slaves to TV, which isn't a new development, but this is the hideous monster that is the consequence of this arrangement.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I don't ever recall such a stupid way of conducting a post-season schedule. Is this because of the format they chose for this year? I concur with AlwaysRed. I have no idea how MLB expects people to make plans with a moving target schedule. Absolute slaves to TV, which isn't a new development, but this is the hideous monster that is the consequence of this arrangement.
    Yes I think it is worse this year because of the 2-3 format. In past years with a 2-2-1 format it seemed like this round was a little more spread out and gave a chance to schedule a little better. Also in the past the schedule seemed to come out quicker. At least they would give a tentative schedule earlier. This weeks schedule came out basically with just 48 hours notice.

In terms of the afternoon game times the problem is completely the Yankees and how television treats their games versus all other teams. I agree that game fives should be in primetime but it is never going to happen with a compressed schedule like this when baseball schedules one team in the prime spot above all others.

I'm curious to know how MLB arranges this with the ballparks. From a logistics standpoint, I actually understand "decisive" games not being a factor in the scheduling. That could be any of three games, x4 series. To wait to see which will actually be "decisive" games would wreack havoc on ballparks putting together staff, notifying fanbases of start times, traffic control and parking, local businesses, etc. It affects a lot of people.

And I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I understand leaving the Yankees largely in primetime. They have the largest fanbase, and it's a national one, and that will bring in the biggest ratings in primetime. That's a business decision.

So if you can't decide the rest of the games in advance based on decisive games, I believe local fanbases should be taken into account. That's just common sense from a ratings standpoint. They knew where all the games would be played on which days last Friday. So the Oakland game is late, which I get; the Yankees game is late, which I get. I don't understand why the Reds game couldn't have been the 4 pm slot today. For San Francisco fans to be beholden to a 10 am game is ridiculous.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't understand why the Reds game couldn't have been the 4 pm slot today. For San Francisco fans to be beholden to a 10 am game is ridiculous.
    My guess is that they didn't want WAS/STL to play at 1 PM on back to back days.

Quote Originally Posted by jhc2010 View Post
    My guess is that they didn't want WAS/STL to play at 1 PM on back to back days.
    Why not? It would have been good symetry(sp?) for both games starting at about the same time two days in a row. This is the part I just don't get. I can understand the Yankee thing and the A's/Tigers being on the west coast. But this is a puzzler why they just couldn't keep the same times as yesterday for both NL games?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?