Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things I want to learn how to do

Re: Things I want to learn how to do

Lots of good ideas here!

Woodworking--I'd love to watch a luthier in action. But I'd be happy building anything out of wood.

Learning another language would be great as well. Intermediate Spanish in college is as far as I got, and I was lucky to get that far.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hula dance. Even tho I'm about as graceful as your average tree stump. lol!

A friend of mine suggested that you can learn an instrument or another language, but you have to pick. I thought that's awfully limiting.

I'd like to learn Spanish. I'm thinking of taking up the concertina or banjo or piano or......

I'd also like to learn how to sail. And maybe play Go.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

-I'd like to start fishing for tuna. I don't mean just getting drunk with my buddies on a boat either. Really catch them and know that I, not the boat's captain, did it.
    -Dancing would probably be fun as well. I'm pretty awful at that and I feel like I have missed some opportunities because of this.
    -Being able to play any instrument effectively would be terrific, since I really love music.
    -Fix cars. Getting sick and tired of feeling like the mechanic's bill is a rip-off.
    -Be able to look at and appreciate art like I see others do. Honestly I can look at the Mona Lisa and not see much of a difference than something a child drew. I don't get it, and I think I'm missing out. Even if I could draw things would be cool.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

i'd like to learn to play the piano.

My wife said she'd like to learn to knit.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    A friend of mine suggested that you can learn an instrument or another language, but you have to pick. I thought that's awfully limiting.
    Your friend has it backwards, at least in reference to youth. You can learn both, but it's much better to start young. And studies in the last few years have shown that they feed each other, i.e., if you learn an instrument when you're young, you're more likely to be able to pick up on another language much more easily.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

I'd like to learn Spanish. I'm thinking of taking up the concertina or banjo or piano or......

I'd also like to learn how to sail. And maybe play Go.
    Sailing is a great hobby. I can teach you to move a boat across a lake and back in two hours, but you can spend a lifetime learning to sail.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'm really enjoying the responses.

Paint and sculpt. I've always been able to sketch, but never had any lessons.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

It's interesting- my wife studied art and illustration. Whenever she draws something it seems as though the whole piece is in her head, at least the proportions and where all the parts go. I start from one side and just make it up as I go along. This always seemed to me something she learned, but now I watch my two very talented (not just fatherly pride here) kids draw and I notice they proceed the same way she does. So, it gets me wondering about the genetic basis for the skills they have and I don't.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I would like to "train" a Bonsai tree. No real reason why, just find it cool.

I would second the notion of being able to do basic automotive work. The guys I work with do all their own car maintenance and just about all I'm confident doing is changing wiper blades.

One other... I'm not a drinker, but I'm mildly fascinated by people who make their own beer and wine. I'm almost tempted to do it, even though I really won't take advantage of my own product.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Rappel

Time travel

Smoke pork

Read a green and calibrate my putting accordingly.

And to the earlier post about welding being the closest feeling to being God, I'd put using a chainsaw into that discussion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

Smoke pork
    Who the hell is smoking pork?

Is this some new high I haven't heard about?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I would like to "train" a Bonsai tree. No real reason why, just find it cool.

I would second the notion of being able to do basic automotive work. The guys I work with do all their own car maintenance and just about all I'm confident doing is changing wiper blades.

One other... I'm not a drinker, but I'm mildly fascinated by people who make their own beer and wine. I'm almost tempted to do it, even though I really won't take advantage of my own product.
    I have a little bonsai tree. Bought it at Krohn Conservatory after seeing some that are 50-75 years old. I'm somewhat of a pruning nut and prune all my yard trees, bushes, tomato plant, etc. It's a nice to do when puttering. The bonsai tree groooowwwwss vvveeerryy sllloowwwllly. It's not going to sneak up on you.

My son brews beer. He's a chef and likes doing all that. He's worked for free at a local brewery just to learn the craft. His beer is quite good.

Two other things for me:

Years back at Myrtle Beach, I watched a guy fly a stunt kite. He was really good at it. I bought one and used it for about a day. It's a lot harder than it looks. I crashed it multiple times. I'd like to get good at it.

Also, we've done some whitewater rafting over the years. The guys in the back of the raft with the 2 huge oars are quite good at navigating through the rapids and placing the raft juuuuust in the right place to get through. I'd like to learn that.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

1) I've been flailing away at learning Gujarati and French for awhile. Want to get conversational in both.
    2) Basic woodworking. I want to build a tree house and be able to house sloths after I herd them.
    3) How to train a dog to play dead. "Sparky! Bang." *sopa opera quality long death scene follows*
    4) How to finish any book I started writing. So far I've been 40 pages deep 3 times before it was canned.
    5) How to build a website that eats other websites. Combo pirate/blue lagoon monster in the making.
    6) Basic programming skills.
    7) How to ollie on a skateboard.

Turn Off Ads?