Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Tebow's a smart player and very coachable. He can and will get better.
    Don't know about this. Tebow seems like a hard worker but I don't know if I would consider him a smart worker. In the offseason many of the young QB's went to QB coaches because there were no mini camps. Tebow went to the gym and pumped iron. He needs to spend more time on his mechanics instead of his body.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know why people are laughing at the idea of Orton being a better QB than Tebow. He is, and it's not even close, IMO. Orton is not a great QB, but I doubt you'd find many GMs or head coaches who wouldn't prefer him over Tebow to run their offense. Orton has been in the league 7 years, much of that as a starter and he's shown enough that he'll still be sought ought by more than one team in the off-season. He's not someone I'd want as the future of my team, but he's not a terrible QB and I highly doubt Tebow will start as many games in his career as Orton does.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't know why people are laughing at the idea of Orton being a better QB than Tebow. He is, and it's not even close, IMO. Orton is not a great QB, but I doubt you'd find many GMs or head coaches who wouldn't prefer him over Tebow to run their offense. Orton has been in the league 7 years, much of that as a starter and he's shown enough that he'll still be sought ought by more than one team in the off-season. He's not someone I'd want as the future of my team, but he's not a terrible QB and I highly doubt Tebow will start as many games in his career as Orton does.
    Orton couldn't win with the same team that Tebow was winning with. For Denver to go back to him would be a huge step in the wrong direction. It's pretty hard to make fair comparisons with QBs from different teams, but in the Tebow vs. Orton case it's not hard at all. They became a better team when they benched Orton.

I will agree with you that some GMs would take him over Tebow though, but I don't think it has anything to do with Orton being better. To win with Tebow you have to totally commit to him, as is the case with any QB. The difference being that committing to Tebow means building an entire offense around him with players to fit a system that isn't gonna work with most QBs not named Tim Tebow. If you do that, which I think the Broncos will, and he gets injured, you're stuck with a weird offense and nobody to run it. You almost need to get a backup QB similar to Tebow just in case.

It's a giant leap of faith to make, but for Tebow to be successful it's one that needs to happen. That's why I've always said that if I were a GM I don't know if Tebow would be my guy, even though I do believe he's very capable of winning football games.

It's not so black and white. It was only 2 years ago that the Broncos won 6 in a row with Orton as the QB.

I still don't get why folks always jump to the QB when talking wins and losses. Denver's offense in the 5 games Orton started for them this year averaged 22 points per game. In the games Tebow started it was 18.5. So how exactly then is it so clear that Orton is inferior? Some have argued that the defense began to play better because of Tebow. I don't buy any of that.

The Broncos D gave up 22 points or more 4 of those first 5 games. In the 6 game winning streak they gave up less than 20 points in 4 of those games. To me, if anything is obvious is that there's a serious discrepancy between the factual record and what many believe actually happened. Those final 3 games of the season seem to be completely forgotten. They lost all 3 and it pretty ugly fashion while all they needed was one more win to make the playoffs. They lucked into the playoffs because Oakland lost 4 of their last 5. That's not going out and claiming a playoff berth, that's backing into one because the rest of the division sucked less than they did.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    To win with Tebow you have to totally commit to him, as is the case with any QB. The difference being that committing to Tebow means building an entire offense around him with players to fit a system that isn't gonna work with most QBs not named Tim Tebow. If you do that, which I think the Broncos will, and he gets injured, you're stuck with a weird offense and nobody to run it. You almost need to get a backup QB similar to Tebow just in case.

It's a giant leap of faith to make, but for Tebow to be successful it's one that needs to happen. That's why I've always said that if I were a GM I don't know if Tebow would be my guy, even though I do believe he's very capable of winning football games.
    I agree that designing an entire offense around Tebow is a leap of faith. The jury's still out on whether the college-style offense of the Broncos can work in the NFL long-term, because the NFL is a ruthless, quickly-adapting ecosystem. You're right, the backup QB is a huge issue if they're going that route.

But I don't necessarily think it's a huge long-term risk, in that (other than quarterbacks) I don't think they need super-specialized personnel to run it. If it doesn't work, they'll get a new quarterback and a new playbook, but that happens fairly frequently in the league as it is.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

But there's no evidence that it actually works. People are jumping to this conclusion based on a 6 game winning streak where the defense wasn't giving up a lot of points and they were pulling wins out of their rears in the 4th quarter. Heck, they lost 4 of the first games of the season, the ones that led to Orton being benched by less than 5 points, and 3 of those by 3 points or less. All of a sudden they fine themselves on the winning end of those close games and they have it all figured out? I doubt John Elway or John Fox thinks this is the direction they're taking the franchise. My guess is they'll have another QB option ready next year "just in case" the Tebow experiment winds up being more like the last 3 games of the season rather than the 6 prior to them.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

But there's no evidence that it actually works. People are jumping to this conclusion based on a 6 game winning streak where the defense wasn't giving up a lot of points and they were pulling wins out of their rears in the 4th quarter. Heck, they lost 4 of the first games of the season, the ones that led to Orton being benched by less than 5 points, and 3 of those by 3 points or less. All of a sudden they fine themselves on the winning end of those close games and they have it all figured out? I doubt John Elway or John Fox thinks this is the direction they're taking the franchise. My guess is they'll have another QB option ready next year "just in case" the Tebow experiment winds up being more like the last 3 games of the season rather than the 6 prior to them.
    Well, the odds are certainly against it, although one could say you never know for sure until you try. I tend to lean towards the viewpoint that says Denver has already sprung its trap, and starting next year the strategic advantage shifts to the opposing defenses.

In the end, though, the Broncos can design the offense to maximize Tebow's well-acknowledged strengths if they want to, but ultimately success will depend on improvement in his equally-well-acknowledged weaknesses. And you're correct, they'll need a strong Plan B.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Why couldn't a team win with the #1 rushing offense in the league? That's what Tebow offers. Combine that with a great defense and keep things honest by throwing deep now and then. It's not the current style, but so what?

One of the annoying things about the NFL is that every team does the same stuff. The Broncos should go out on a limb and try to make things work with Tebow. Not every team is going to have a Tom Brady.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Elway came out with some very strong statements today towards Tebow.

He seems to feel he can be coached up beyond what he currently offers.

He has always been guarded in his assessments of Tebow, so I'm willing to take his statements at face value.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Why couldn't a team win with the #1 rushing offense in the league? That's what Tebow offers. Combine that with a great defense and keep things honest by throwing deep now and then. It's not the current style, but so what?

One of the annoying things about the NFL is that every team does the same stuff. The Broncos should go out on a limb and try to make things work with Tebow. Not every team is going to have a Tom Brady.
    I agree with every word.

You almost need to get a backup QB similar to Tebow just in case.
    Vince Young...Paging Vince Young..
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 01-16-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Elway came out with some very strong statements today towards Tebow.

He seems to feel he can be coached up beyond what he currently offers.

He has always been guarded in his assessments of Tebow, so I'm willing to take his statements at face value.
    Exactly ! I was a Bronco fan as kid before John Elway began his pro career.I will take his word over the ESPN experts anyday.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I agree with every word.

Vince Young...Paging Vince Young..
    There ya go.

I don't know why people are laughing at the idea of Orton being a better QB than Tebow.
    Because the media told them to.

The only PR move Elway could do was to endorse Tebow. Otherwise it would be a long 7 months.

Terms are subject to change.

It's not so black and white. It was only 2 years ago that the Broncos won 6 in a row with Orton as the QB.

I still don't get why folks always jump to the QB when talking wins and losses. Denver's offense in the 5 games Orton started for them this year averaged 22 points per game. In the games Tebow started it was 18.5. So how exactly then is it so clear that Orton is inferior? Some have argued that the defense began to play better because of Tebow. I don't buy any of that.

The Broncos D gave up 22 points or more 4 of those first 5 games. In the 6 game winning streak they gave up less than 20 points in 4 of those games. To me, if anything is obvious is that there's a serious discrepancy between the factual record and what many believe actually happened. Those final 3 games of the season seem to be completely forgotten. They lost all 3 and it pretty ugly fashion while all they needed was one more win to make the playoffs. They lucked into the playoffs because Oakland lost 4 of their last 5. That's not going out and claiming a playoff berth, that's backing into one because the rest of the division sucked less than they did.
    So do you think the Broncos would have made the playoffs if they'd stuck with Orton?

Turn Off Ads?