Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 'Pensacola Blue Wahoos 2012

Re: Pensacola Pelicans 2012

If the Nats can afford to keep Tony Blanco on a roster for an entire year, there's a good chance someone's willing to take a chance on Soto.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pensacola Blue Wahoo 2012

Actually unless he really picks it up, I think there's very little chance someone picks him up.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: 'Pensacola Blue Wahoo 2012

Just a small correction needed to this thread title. The team will actually be called the Blue Wahoos (not Blue Wahoo).

Re: 'Pensacola Blue Wahoos 2012

I signed up for the updates of the Pensacola team to try and keep up with the progress of things. The following was sent out today and I figured I'd post it.

Dear Fans,

Last week Quint Studer and I traveled to Jackson, TN, home of the Jackson Generals (Double-A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners), for the Southern League All-Star game. While there we attended the Southern League owners and league meetings. We discussed many issues pertinent to our 2012 season that I want to share with you.

A tentative 2012 schedule has been developed by the Southern League. Prior to releasing this schedule to the public, all teams in the league must present the proposed schedule to their respective Major League affiliates for an endorsement and any recommended changes. This whole process generally takes a few months. I expect that we will be able to release our inaugural season schedule in early October 2011.

Pensacola's presence in Jackson was enthusiastically received, as the League directors indicated that they and the rest of the league look forward to Pensacola officially joining the Southern League. Major and Minor League Baseball (MLB and MiLB, respectively) are currently reviewing the Maritime Park stadium design and functionality and waiting for a copy of our lease with the CMPA for review. Technically the Southern League can't vote on the inclusion of Pensacola in their league until these items have been ratified by MLB and MiLB. However, for the Southern League to vote on the inclusion of Pensacola is a matter of formality. I'm confident that both items will be approved by both MLB and MiLB and at that time Pensacola will officially be voted into the Southern League.

The Jackson Generals and the City of Jackson received many accolades from locals and guests for a remarkable job well done - I couldn't agree more. Their presentation of each piece of the All-Star event was handled with class and dignity. All elements of the event gave those in attendance an opportunity to enjoy the city, Pringles Park and the game. I am not sure when it will be, but we look forward to following in their steps when it's our turn to host a league event in our wonderful community.

For all of us with the Blue Wahoos, the calendar is flying by - April 2012 will be here quickly. We are anxious to see the first pitch, to hear the crack of the bat on our first home run and most importantly, to open another exciting chapter in the world of sports, Pensacola style, with our fans and community.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend! Wahoo!

Bruce Baldwin

President

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

-The Insider-

Traitor.

Not a real recent event but still bodes well for the Reds in Pensacola.

Pensacola Blue Wahoos Sell 1000th Season Ticket
    George Taylor of Pensacola wins a Blue Wahoos Jersey for his milestone purchase

Today the Blue Wahoos sold their 1,000 season ticket for the team’s inaugural 2012 season at Maritime Park in downtown Pensacola. George Taylor of Pensacola purchases the 1,000th ticket. “I was in Montgomery when the Biscuits (Double-A Affiliate for the Tampa Rays) came to town and it was a lot of fun,” explained Taylor. “The games were a great way to socialize and see people in town. I can’t wait for our team to get here.” To celebrate the milestone, Taylor will receive a Blue Wahoos jersey with a number 1,000 on the back.

Plan B Branding is in the process of developing the new look and feel of the Pensacola Blue Wahoos franchise, from logos to characters to on-field uniforms. Plan B has created looks for many premier Major and Minor League Baseball clubs, including top popular logos for the Richmond Flying Squirrels and the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.

The Pensacola Blue Wahoos are the future Double-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds. The team will begin play in April 2012 at Maritime Park. 2012 season tickets are on sale at pensacolabaseball.com or (850) 934-8444. Name and logos are subject to approval of the Southern League, Minor League Baseball and Major League Baseball.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I know there has been discussion about whether the future High A affiliate in Zebulon will become a Reds' affiliate in 2013, but does anyone know if Pensacola plans on staying with the Reds after 2012? Wouldn't it make sense for a newer franchise to maintain a little bit of stability concerning it's major league affiliate. There are a lot of good players in Dayton and Billings right now that will likely be a part of the 2013 Double A team. Has anyone heard anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I know there has been discussion about whether the future High A affiliate in Zebulon will become a Reds' affiliate in 2013, but does anyone know if Pensacola plans on staying with the Reds after 2012? Wouldn't it make sense for a newer franchise to maintain a little bit of stability concerning it's major league affiliate. There are a lot of good players in Dayton and Billings right now that will likely be a part of the 2013 Double A team. Has anyone heard anything?

I would be very surprised if Cincy isn't in Pensacola for a long time. The Reds were very happy here in Zebulon and had just renewed. They're in a much better situation geographically in Pensacola than they are here with the league layout. They were in Chattanooga for like 22 years before coming here. I think the Reds and Pensacola will be hooked up for years to come.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I would be very surprised if Cincy isn't in Pensacola for a long time. The Reds were very happy here in Zebulon and had just renewed. They're in a much better situation geographically in Pensacola than they are here with the league layout. They were in Chattanooga for like 22 years before coming here. I think the Reds and Pensacola will be hooked up for years to come.
    Thanks for the info, muddie. Were you the one (or was it cinreds21) who told me that it was between the Braves and Reds for the Zebulon High A franchise in 2013? What are your thoughts on the Reds moving back?

oops nm

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Thanks for the info, muddie. Were you the one (or was it cinreds21) who told me that it was between the Braves and Reds for the Zebulon High A franchise in 2013? What are your thoughts on the Reds moving back?
    It was most likely cinreds21 that said the Braves and Reds are possible front runners for Zebulon in 2013. Beyond next year it will be interesting to watch how things play out. The Cleveland Indians will be here next year with their High A affiliate. Their High A affiliation has been in Kinston since 1987, that's 24 years now! Cleveland fields competitve minor league teams. The Kinston team has won more than their share of Carolina League championships in the past 10 years. There is no reason to believe Kinston would want to leave our immediate area. It would be a mistake to assume the Indians won't be here beyond next year I believe. However, I'm sure after one year here both parties will have a better idea of where they want to go.

Personally, I would like to have the Reds in after next year. We'll see how that one works out. If wins and losses mean a lot, the Reds haven't put a very good product here in their three year residence. We've had some really good players through here but never have been a real good 'team'. To what degree this will be an issue I have no idea. I've thorougly enjoyed having the Reds here and hope they return, really hope they return.

My wife and I took the 1 1/2 hour drive this past Friday evening to go down and see the Kinston Indians play the Wilmington Blue Rocks. I'm sitting there trying to picture these guys in a Mudcats uniform next year. Man, I'm missing the AA level already. But hey, we did pick up two nice Alex White bobble heads!

Having gotten a little long here, I hope, to no end, that the Reds High A team is here in 2013. I think cinreds21 feels the same way.

It's nearly impossible to predict what a high-A team will look like two years in advance, but if things go at their normal pace, I'd expect the Reds' affiliate to look very good:
    C Tucker Barnhart
    1B Dominic D'Anna
    2B Ryan Wright (or maybe Ron Torreyes with Ryan Wright moving quickly up to AA)
    3B Sean Buckley
    SS Devin Lohman
    LF Juan Duran
    CF Yorman Rodriguez
    RF Jaren Matthews
    DH Robert Maddox

SP Robert Stephenson
    SP Dan Corcino
    SP Dan Renken
    SP Jake Johnson
    SP Tanner Robles

RP Brooks Pinckard
    RP Tony Cingrani
    RP Dan Tuttle
    RP Lucas O'Rear
    RP Kevin Arico
    RP Matt Leonard
    RP Luca Panerati
    RP Kyle McMyne

The 2012 Pensacola schedule for anyone interested.

http://pensacolabaseball.com/2012schedule.html

3 trips into Jax, not bad.

Turn Off Ads?